PDA

View Full Version : How Have Sports Changed In the Last 10 Years?

Bullaholic
04-06-2009, 01:25 PM
How do you think sports from youth leagues thru the pros-- including owners/institutions. players, coaches, fans, and the media have changed in the last 10 years? What's better? What's Worse?

Bullaholic
04-06-2009, 01:42 PM
How about rules changes?

How about the media and their coverage of bad behavior?

Is money ruining the pro game?

Is the empahsis on winning and the lure of money causing highschool coaches to leave quicker?

Is it getting harder to find youth league coaches and officials?

Are girl's athletics gaining or losing ground to boy's athletics?

Is parent behavior getting better or worse?

BwdLions
04-06-2009, 01:52 PM
I think the pressure to win has become pretty intense in the past 10 years. The pressure athletes are under to perform (at any level) is increasing. The pressure comes from the team's fans, schools, coaches and even parents at times. Everyone wants to win and the tempers from players and fans gets out of control at times. I'm a huge sports fan and sometimes I get carried away wanting my teams to win.

waterboy
04-06-2009, 02:11 PM
How about rules changes?
Some of the rule changes are unnecessary in my opinion, but overall the rule changes have a minimal effect on the overall product.

The media coverage has gotten overly sensationalistic about any story, and there is much more individual coverage, which I don't think is a good thing. They constantly tell stories about players that should be kept private. Some stories just get blown WAY out of proportion, and can have a negative impact on everybody involved including the team, the player, and the fans. I blame the fans for wanting this type of coverage, but I, personally, don't care about those stories unless it impacts my team.

I don't think money is "ruining" the game, but I do think that money has too much emphasis in today's game. I don't care what a player makes because it doesn't impact me if I don't attend any games in person, but that's just it -- ticket prices have gotten exhorbitantly out of hand.

Is the empahsis on winning and the lure of money causing highschool coaches to leave quicker?
Absolutely! It's becoming harder and harder to hang on to coaches that are having success at ANY level, and high school is probably the level most impacted. A lot of times a coach will just move down the road where money is better.....or facilities are better.....or the situation is better...., etc. And, YES, winning is what brings these coaching changes to fruition.

Yes, it is harder to find youth league coaches and officials. Not many people will work for free, or for the very token amount of pocket change these people get paid.

Girl's athletics are probably losing ground to boy's athletics in my opinion, mainly because of the money brought in. Boy athletics usually brings in more money so the emphasis will always favor the boys.

Parent behavior is getting MUCH worse! I think it goes back to the idiot (Dr. Spock, I think) who said to NOT spank your child. I guess hundreds of generations of parents before didn't know doodley squat about raising good repectful kids.:rolleyes: We're just now starting to find out what all those former generations already knew, "spare the rod, spoil the child". Parents I deal with on a regular basis are poor excuses for parents in my opinion, and it stems from them NOT getting their hides tanned at an early age like they should've.;) We're just, in the last couple of generations, starting to pay for Dr. Spock's ignorance.:doh:

Bullaholic
04-06-2009, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
How about rules changes?
Some of the rule changes are unnecessary in my opinion, but overall the rule changes have a minimal effect on the overall product.

The media coverage has gotten overly sensationalistic about any story, and there is much more individual coverage, which I don't think is a good thing. They constantly tell stories about players that should be kept private. Some stories just get blown WAY out of proportion, and can have a negative impact on everybody involved including the team, the player, and the fans. I blame the fans for wanting this type of coverage, but I, personally, don't care about those stories unless it impacts my team.

I don't think money is "ruining" the game, but I do think that money has too much emphasis in today's game. I don't care what a player makes because it doesn't impact me if I don't attend any games in person, but that's just it -- ticket prices have gotten exhorbitantly out of hand.

Absolutely! It's becoming harder and harder to hang on to coaches that are having success at ANY level, and high school is probably the level most impacted. A lot of times a coach will just move down the road where money is better.....or facilities are better.....or the situation is better...., etc. And, YES, winning is what brings these coaching changes to fruition.

Yes, it is harder to find youth league coaches and officials. Not many people will work for free, or for the very token amount of pocket change these people get paid.

Girl's athletics are probably losing ground to boy's athletics in my opinion, mainly because of the money brought in. Boy athletics usually brings in more money so the emphasis will always favor the boys.

Parent behavior is getting MUCH worse! I think it goes back to the idiot (Dr. Spock, I think) who said to NOT spank your child. I guess hundreds of generations of parents before didn't know doodley squat about raising good repectful kids.:rolleyes: We're just now starting to find out what all those former generations already knew, "spare the rod, spoil the child". Parents I deal with on a regular basis are poor excuses for parents in my opinion, and it stems from them NOT getting their hides tanned at an early age like they should've.;) We're just, in the last couple of generations, starting to pay for Dr. Spock's ignorance.:doh:

Great response---thanks, I enjoyed reading your comments.

pirate4state
04-06-2009, 02:42 PM
For better & worse - immediate media attention

waterboy - good stuff.