PDA

View Full Version : "Dogfights"-(Aerial Combat)

Bullaholic
04-06-2009, 11:15 AM
This is an outstanding series on the History Channel which chronicles some of the outstanding aerial dogfights from WWI to the present day. The valor, intelligence, and skill of our American pilots involved in these dogfights is just incredible and amazing to watch. The entire series is available in a DVD set.

http://www.history.com/content/dogfights/dogfights-video

SWMustang
04-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
This is an outstanding series on the History Channel which chronicles some of the outstanding aerial dogfights from WWI to the present day. The valor, intelligence, and skill of our American pilots involved in these dogfights is just incredible and amazing to watch. The entire series is available in a DVD set.

http://www.history.com/content/dogfights/dogfights-video

Watched those all the time when they were being aired regularly on The History Channel. The History Channel also has The Military Channel and they show these frequently there.

BwdLions
04-06-2009, 02:05 PM
I enjoyed watching that video. I like any history on trains or planes.

waterboy
04-06-2009, 02:28 PM
It's gotten to where the History Channels, Military Channel, and Discovery Channels are the main channels I watch. That is, unless there's sports on that I'm interested in. I love shows like this.:cool:

ronwx5x
04-06-2009, 03:34 PM
Never had a dogfight and never had a SAM fired at me, but I did fly the F-4 Phantom in Vietnam. When you're 25, bullet-proof, and imortal, it's sort of exciting!

I have always felt the most important thing is to walk away while your take-offs and landings are still equal. That way you never have to walk home from work!

Trashman
04-06-2009, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Never had a dogfight and never had a SAM fired at me, but I did fly the F-4 Phantom in Vietnam. When you're 25, bullet-proof, and imortal, it's sort of exciting!

I have always felt the most important thing is to walk away while your take-offs and landings are still equal. That way you never have to walk home from work!

That is why I was tanker. When you get shot at... the bullets for the most part bounce off, and it they don't.....You don't have far to fall. :D

DDBooger
04-06-2009, 09:49 PM
WWII pilots were amazing. Before the P-51 came into play, the innovative flying and tactics were superb. I saw one where this guy shot down a few planes and a German ace. Said he saw the tail fin painted yellow(i think) and knew he was in for a fight. The maneuver he pulled was INSANE!!!

ronwx5x
04-07-2009, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Trashman
That is why I was tanker. When you get shot at... the bullets for the most part bounce off, and it they don't.....You don't have far to fall. :D

Yeah, but at least we had an ejection seat when the bullets DIDN'T bounce off! You guys just got to sit there and burn. Besides, we could run away faster.

People who fly fighters really do march to a different drummer. They are smarter than doctors, more athletic than pro sports players and perpetually young enough to drink all night and fly the next day. One day I just suddenly realized that I had to grow up and accept reality. That often happens when you start a family.