PDA

View Full Version : Head Coach / Athletic Director salaries....

waterboy
04-03-2009, 02:46 PM
Someone told me these were public record. Is this true? Where would I find that information? Just curious because someone I know wants to know.;) I've seen a list of the top 5A and 4A coachs' salaries, but I haven't seen any for 3A on down.

Sweetwater Red
04-03-2009, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
Someone told me these were public record. Is this true? Where would I find that information? Just curious because someone I know wants to know.;) I've seen a list of the top 5A and 4A coachs' salaries, but I haven't seen any for 3A on down.

Just ask cr180t or Torb. They should know.

44INAROW
04-03-2009, 03:06 PM
just post a random salary out there - plenty of folks with reply with figures as "FACT" :D

waterboy
04-03-2009, 03:22 PM
HC/AD - A top 3A school: $92,500 annual salary - how does that sound?
:cool:

ASUFrisbeeStud
04-03-2009, 04:27 PM
HC/AD - A top 3A school: $92,500 annual salary - how does that sound?
:cool:

Unless you coach in Snyder:hand:

waterboy
04-03-2009, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
Unless you coach in Snyder:hand:
I said TOP 3A school!:D

mwynn05
04-03-2009, 04:46 PM
All teachers/coaches salaries are public information because schools are funded by the state. To get some of them you might have to file a FOIA request though

Txbroadcaster
04-03-2009, 06:40 PM
DMN usually runs an article once a year showing salaries of DFW area coaches

ASUFrisbeeStud
04-03-2009, 06:53 PM
I said TOP 3A school!:D

I've actually heard from an ex-Snyder athlete that Snyder is paying very very well.

mwynn05
04-03-2009, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
I've actually heard from an ex-Snyder athlete that Snyder is paying very very well. i doubt it, they dont post their salaries on their websit which means they probably pay about 33k a year

wildstangs
04-03-2009, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
i doubt it, they dont post their salaries on their websit which means they probably pay about 33k a year

33K really isn't bad for small town West Texas. State base for first year is still only around 28-29K, which is what most smaller towns in the west are going to get you.

rancher
04-03-2009, 10:02 PM
As stated prior, all contracts and salaries are public record and can be obtained by the Freedom of Information Act. The districts must comply with such a request in a timely manner or they are in violation of the law. They cannot even ask why you are requesting such info. Just remind what the act says and request the info.

mwynn05
04-03-2009, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
33K really isn't bad for small town West Texas. State base for first year is still only around 28-29K, which is what most smaller towns in the west are going to get you. yeah true and it doesnt cost anything to live there....most of the districts i have applied at pay about 42....with northwest being the most at 47 plus stipends and my best chane...denton at like 46....there is def a trade-off there and i wanna get back to the small town when im ready to settle down...im not really in it for the money any way...the whole pint was the HC/AD at snyder probably doesn't make more than 60K which isn't bad but isn't "very well"

wildstangs
04-03-2009, 10:39 PM
yeah true and it doesnt cost anything to live there....most of the districts i have applied at pay about 42....with northwest being the most at 47 plus stipends and my best chane...denton at like 46....there is def a trade-off there and i wanna get back to the small town when im ready to settle down...im not really in it for the money any way...the whole pint was the HC/AD at snyder probably doesn't make more than 60K which isn't bad but isn't "very well"

Our district starts around 42K, plus stipends. It is hard for most people to leave the metroplex to go back west because of the paycut.

With the exception of rent, we have really found the cost of living to be the same here as it was in Plainview/Abilene. Thats the great thing about being close to the metroplex, but not in it.

Snyder_TigerFan
04-03-2009, 11:12 PM
the whole pint was the HC/AD at snyder probably doesn't make more than 60K which isn't bad but isn't "very well"

I don't know how Snyder got drug into this, but I'm am pretty sure he's making quite a bit more than that. Maybe I'm wrong.

ASUFrisbeeStud
04-04-2009, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
I don't know how Snyder got drug into this, but I'm am pretty sure he's making quite a bit more than that. Maybe I'm wrong.

Yeah I don't know how all this talk got brought in about 27k or 32k, we're talking about HC/AD positions. I'm sure most HC/AD's make quite a bit more than that.

Johnny Utah
04-04-2009, 08:35 AM
Coaching salaries may seem like alot, but in reality they are not as good as you would think due to the time put in. Remember.....these people do not get paid by the hour.
*Look at the good, big time 3a and below districts and look at the pay of the Superintendents, that will give you an idea of where their monies are at. Administrators for the most part are on 11 to 12 month contracts. The average coach, unless he is in a district in some West Texas Schools(a few other places) will be on a 10 month contract, but in reality still working year round.
*If you get into education/coaching to make money you are in for a long haul, will not get rich. Buddy of mine started 19 years ago making $21,700. He is in his 19th year, making mid 50's just as a coach/teacher. Most every district in the state will have increases per step, years of service. When you reach 20+ years it is no longer a step but a slow, very slow increase. Main reason why some choose the admin route whether it be as a principal, curriculum director or ad. That will usually bump your salary $10k or more. But again, longer calender year contracts.

Emerson1
04-04-2009, 09:05 AM
This is just 4A and 5A and is back from 2005

http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/statesman/pdf/coaching_salaries.pdf

rancher
04-04-2009, 09:28 AM
According to the principal in Sealy, she is making $85,000, the head coach is making one dollar less. Plus he has his own secretary and teaches no classes except the athletic period.

cr180t
04-04-2009, 11:36 AM
They are all public records. I read somewhere the average 4A salary was close to 90 not sure where I read it though. I would bet salaries have gone up since to 2005 article. 5A salaries usually do not include ath dir duties. It is usually just Head football. Our Teacher salaries are good here that is the plus.

Ranger Mom
04-04-2009, 12:23 PM
This is from 2006, and I am not sure if it is covering a certain area or all of Texas.

Here were some of the new findings for that year:

Five coaches earn more than $100,000, topped by the $106,004 salary for Sam Harrell of Ennis High School. The leader in 1995-96 was Stephenville's Art Briles at $82,658.

• The lowest-paid coach is Cornell Gray at Houston Furr. His salary of $42,300 is a tad below the average teacher's salary. The lowest-paid last time was Dallas Wilson's Damon Miller at $34,474.

• There are 27 coaches who earn more than their school's principal.

• Southlake Carroll coach Todd Dodge, whose teams are 63-1 with three state championships and a mythical national title the past four years, ranks 36th among coaches at $90,510.

• Coaches in large school districts such as Austin, El Paso, Houston and Fort Worth are bunched toward the bottom of the pay scale.

• In Houston, the district's highest-paid teacher makes $95,191 -- far more than the $76,913 drawn by the district's top-paid coach, Tom Nolan of Houston Lamar.

Link to article (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/news/story?id=2562629)

Snydertigersrul
04-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan

I can find out for you. I know that the head girls basketball coach/girls athletic coordinator, gets $62,500

Snyder_TigerFan
04-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul
I can find out for you. I know that the head girls basketball coach/girls athletic coordinator, gets $62,500

I could care less. I was pretty sure he was making more than 60K though. A pretty good salary. Hopefully he'll stick around for a while.;)

mwynn05
04-04-2009, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
In 3a and below schools, whether or not the HC is also the AD makes a huge impact on their salary. Most 4a's, and almost all 5a's have a seperate AD, so it's a little different at that level.
By the way, some of the current numbers blow the numbers in that 2006 article away. Check out what Allman at Westlake, Dicus at Duncanville, Morris at Lake Travis, and Allen at Highland Park are making.
Funny thing is, the HC I work for has more wins than Allman and Dicus, and has won more championships than both of them and Allen, yet makes about 2/3 what they make. I think a big factor is how many high schools are in teh district as well, in a lot districts they all have to be paid the same (head coaches that is)

mwynn05
04-04-2009, 09:23 PM
I dont think so. Ive been in two multi-school districts and none of them have had that policy. I think Ector County ISD may be the only one that does that. I just drew that conclusion from look at salary scales of some districts, and some have stipends for each position listed....have seen it on a few of them but i do realize things dont always go that way

wildstangs
04-04-2009, 09:29 PM
Both Abilene ISD coaches make the same.

mwynn05
04-05-2009, 11:20 AM
They do for all positions, other than head football coaches. Maybe it's a west texas thing to pay all HFCs the same thing, b/c I think Lubbock and Amarillo ISDs do too. i saw it on the northwest one i believe there was a stipend for campus athletic coordinator and head coach of every sport including football and like 1 or 2 in the houston area, but you know more about it than i do so your probably more correct than i am and what i have seen is probably the minority its really hard to say because most places dont publish stipends