PDA

View Full Version : Texas Senate panel approves privates to join UIL

TexasHSFootball
04-02-2009, 06:07 PM
Texas Senate panel approves Privates to join UIL (http://feeds.chron.com/~r/houstonchronicle/sphso/~3/2OpbaspFwGo/6356220.html)

Click here for more statewide Texas high school football news (http://www.texashsfootball.com/news/index.htm)

Emerson1
04-02-2009, 06:12 PM
I say let them join the UIL, but they have to all play against each other in their own division...

TexasHSFootball
04-02-2009, 06:25 PM
from an academic standpoint i see it.. but the athletic side of it i don't but the key is, where do you draw the line between athletics and academics..

its a sticky issue with a very thin line between academic competitions and athletic competitions.

rancher
04-02-2009, 07:24 PM
I can tell you from first hand knowledge, the school in Houston that joined the UIL, went to exes and informed them if they wanted to run with the big dogs, they would need to raise more money for "minority scholarships" aka recuitment funds. The exes came up with about 3 million dollars. The football stadium got a great face lift and turf. They now are doing well, in all sports. Look at the recent state basketball run. Plus they are getting kids from 5 surrounding counties.

sahen
04-02-2009, 10:12 PM
i hope this doesnt pass...i have family from Louisiana and highschool football there is nothing like here due to many reasons but mainly because every year the same couple of schools win...they actually had to start making the private schools play in their actual classifications instead of up (for example a school like Evangel was playing the equivalent of 5a when they had 1a numbers) and now the other smaller schools in their district wont even play them....it is a big mess over there, u'd think our legislature could look next door and see its a bad idea but i guess not...

Txbroadcaster
04-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by sahen
i hope this doesnt pass...i have family from Louisiana and highschool football there is nothing like here due to many reasons but mainly because every year the same couple of schools win...they actually had to start making the private schools play in their actual classifications instead of up (for example a school like Evangel was playing the equivalent of 5a when they had 1a numbers) and now the other smaller schools in their district wont even play them....it is a big mess over there, u'd think our legislature could look next door and see its a bad idea but i guess not...

LA is a big mess for alot of reasons that are NOT Evangel, or Curtis. The way they decide their play-off teams is one of the biggest problems.

As much as we gripe about the UIL, they dont have anything like that. The coaches decide it all, and they make alot of decisions based on petty reasons.

sahen
04-02-2009, 10:33 PM
i'd argue that its allowed to be a big mess in louisiana because other than the parents of the players no one cares over there....the reason they dont care is that everyone knows who is gonna win every year and its not an equal playing field....so y worry about changing the system that is all screwd up over there (and you are right they have a ton of problems other than the private issue) when it doesnt really matter in the first place cause u aint gonna win?

and by "aint gonna win" i dont mean some sorry attitude where people have no heart and dont try...i mean teams playing 1a schools w/ half their roster full of future college players...that aint right, those kids cant even dream of winning that game...