PDA

View Full Version : Jay Cutler to Da Bears!

Electus Unus
04-02-2009, 04:33 PM
For Orton and a 1st round pick in 2009 and 2010.

Per John Clayton

The Chicago Bears pulled the big upset Thursday afternoon by acquiring Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler.
To acquire Cutler, the Bears had to give up quarterback Kyle Orton and first-round picks in 2009 and 2010, a source said. To complete the trade, the Broncos had to give back a third-round
draft choice in a later round.

The Bears had to beat out the Redskins, Bucs, Lions, Titans and other teams to get land the 25-year-old Pro Bowl quarterback. The Broncos had been asking for at least two first-round choices to land the 25-year-old Pro Bowl quarterback.
Cutler asked to be traded when he found out first-year coach Josh McDaniels tried to acquire Matt Cassel in a trade with the Patriots. Cutler had not returned phone calls from the Broncos and was staying away from the off-season program.

goosealaniz
04-02-2009, 04:40 PM
really? WOW

icu812
04-02-2009, 04:43 PM
Good deal for the da bears. There is no guarantee you'll get a good qb let alone a young pro-bowl caliber qb in the draft no matter how high the draft pick.

BTownVBall3
04-02-2009, 05:21 PM
As much as I dislike OU, if I'm Denver I'm not drafting a qb this year. Suck it up with Orton and try like hell to trade up for sam bradford.

piratebg
04-02-2009, 07:10 PM
The Bears finally have themselves a good QB. Not bad.

Keith7
04-02-2009, 07:20 PM
Denver got a good deal, they have a QB for the upcoming season plus have premier draft picks to build their team around..

slingshot
04-02-2009, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
Denver got a good deal, they have a QB for the upcoming season plus have premier draft picks to build their team around.. QB for the upcoming season? Really? Who? I don't see any on that roster...

Keith7
04-02-2009, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by slingshot
QB for the upcoming season? Really? Who? I don't see any on that roster...

Orton proved serviceable last season in Chicago.. Not your dream QB but he should lead them to a 5-11 record and that draft pick could buy them a nice young QB if they liked

bandera7
04-02-2009, 10:02 PM
I think the Broncos took the Bears to the bank on this trade. TWO first round picks?!? Wow, that is ridiculous. I would make that trade for a young, proven winner. I realize Jay Cutler isnt the one responsible for the losses. I said he was a good quarterback on a different thread. But really? Two first round picks? I cant see a good reason for that.

Emerson1
04-03-2009, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by bandera7
I think the Broncos took the Bears to the bank on this trade. TWO first round picks?!? Wow, that is ridiculous. I would make that trade for a young, proven winner. I realize Jay Cutler isnt the one responsible for the losses. I said he was a good quarterback on a different thread. But really? Two first round picks? I cant see a good reason for that.
Well the bears were going to draft a QB next year or this year anyways, it's really only 1 first round draft pick they are losing since they are getting a QB they would have picked up with one of the picks.

Farmersfan
04-03-2009, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Well the bears were going to draft a QB next year or this year anyways, it's really only 1 first round draft pick they are losing since they are getting a QB they would have picked up with one of the picks.

The Bears could draft a QB in the first round every year for the next 5 years and not get one the quality of Cutler. This trade makes the Bears instant contenders in their division. Cutler will be in the top 5 QB's this next season in the NFL. I'm thinking Lovey Smith might just be a good choice for someone who can get Cutler in line with reality. It seems to me he doesn't take crap from any player.
Draft picks are 50-50 at best. Cutler is a proven commodity. There is no question about who got the best part of this deal.......(If Cutler doesn't go nuts)

crzyjournalist03
04-03-2009, 09:17 AM
Well, that kind of ruins my hopes of seeing high school friend Caleb Hanie competing for the starting role in Chicago...

Sweetwater Red
04-03-2009, 09:27 AM
Wishful thinking had me wanting Detroit and Washington being
involved in a three way deal with Detroit landing Jason Campbell
and keeping their #1 pick to draft Jason Smith out of Baylor.:(

Has anyone else noticed how well Campbell and Jim Zorn have
handled this with Campbell being in the same position as the
one Cutler cried and complained about?:thinking:

Also if you look at Cutler and Campbell's #'s last season they are
comparable.

waterboy
04-03-2009, 09:39 AM
Chicago was just a good quarterback away from a Lombardi trophy in '07. This might just propel them into being a contender. I still think they gave up too much for Cutler. They're mortgaging their future by giving up two first round picks for him. It could work out to be a good deal for Denver if they use those picks wisely. There will be some GOOD quarterbacks available in the draft over the next couple of years. I definitely think the Broncos got the better end of the deal, if not this year, definitely in the future.

Red&White_9x5
04-03-2009, 10:44 AM
Being a life long Bears fan, I am pumped about this. The one thing that has bothered for years was how the Bears just never commited to gets a real quarterback. The fact that they pulled the trigger on this deal shows that they have finally figured out the error of their ways. GO Bears!!!!1

icu812
04-03-2009, 10:48 AM
IMHO draft choices are worth squat if you waste them on a qb. So da Bears needed a qb and they got one. It cost them two #1's for a proven young qb, that is a steal for da Bears. They could have spent years drafting qb's like Ryan Leaf, Jeff George, Heath Shuler, Vince Young...........the list is very long of supposed great qb's who were below avg in the nfl

waterboy
04-03-2009, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by icu812
IMHO draft choices are worth squat if you waste them on a qb. So da Bears needed a qb and they got one. It cost them two #1's for a proven young qb, that is a steal for da Bears. They could have spent years drafting qb's like Ryan Leaf, Jeff George, Heath Shuler, Vince Young...........the list is very long of supposed great qb's who were below avg in the nfl
You're right. It is a crap shoot for sure, but I think the chances are a lot better over the next couple of years with the likes of Tebow and Bradford, just to name a couple. These two are prototypical quarterbacks who I think will adjust well to the next level. I would also throw McCoy and McDaniel in there. I think any of these four will do well at the next level with the right coaching. I could be wrong, too, but I think these and a couple of others will be good quarterbacks in the NFL in years to come.

icu812
04-03-2009, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
You're right. It is a crap shoot for sure, but I think the chances are a lot better over the next couple of years with the likes of Tebow and Bradford, just to name a couple. These two are prototypical quarterbacks who I think will adjust well to the next level. I would also throw McCoy and McDaniel in there. I think any of these four will do well at the next level with the right coaching. I could be wrong, too, but I think these and a couple of others will be good quarterbacks in the NFL in years to come.

You may also be right about the qb's you mentioned but it may take them a few yrs. to develop. The Bears window is closing and they can't wait. But you may be wrong Bradford, McCoy and McDaniel could be the next Danny Wuerffel. Tebow a backup linebacker :)

Texasfootball2
04-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Heard Mike Ditka on ESPN radio this morning and I totally agree with what he had to say. Bottom line is both teams are happy and both teams will be better off in the long run because of overall team chemistry going into training camp and not having all the distractions. He also said that Orton has proved to be a very capable QB and in McDaniels system should fit in real well. Any time both teams involved are pleased it was a good trade.:D