PDA

View Full Version : north korea

jason
04-02-2009, 12:18 PM
Kim Jong Il

these people are nuts - can't we just blow them all up?

Bullaholic
04-02-2009, 12:25 PM
I hope it never comes to that, jason. Unfortunately, N.Korea is a rogue state that doesn't respect anything but a clenched fist. I think the U.S. will have to make a pre-emptive strike on N. Korea's nuclear installations if they develop ballistic missle potential delivery capability that reaches the U.S. Diplomacy seems to fail at every attempt with N. Korea, and all they seem to want to do is take what they are given and continue to develop their weapons capabilities.

3afan
04-02-2009, 12:31 PM
did something happen?

Sweetwater Red
04-02-2009, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I hope it never comes to that, jason. Unfortunately, N.Korea is a rogue state that doesn't respect anything but a clenched fist. I think the U.S. will have to make a pre-emptive strike on N. Korea's nuclear installations if they develop ballistic missle potential delivery capability that reaches the U.S. Diplomacy seems to fail at every attempt with N. Korea, and all they seem to want to do is take what they are given and continue to develop their weapons capabilities.

Meanwhile 80%(?) of the population lives in poverty.

Bullaholic
04-02-2009, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
did something happen?

The N.Koreans are fueling a rocket for launch in the next couple of days. They claim that it is a carrying a peaceful satellite into orbit. The Japanese have gone to full alert and threatened to shoot the missle down if it looks like it is headed to Japan. N.Korea says that they will respond militarily if this happens. It is the potential for ICBM nuclear delivery that has the rest of the world worried, as the N. Koreans can use the guise of a peaceful satellite launch to test ICBM delivery capabilities. They signed an agreement earlier which stated that they would not test such capability.

Electus Unus
04-02-2009, 12:38 PM
let them two countries fight it out. we are in no way financially able to be world police anymore.

Bullaholic
04-02-2009, 12:44 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/04/02/north.korea.rocket/index.html

Highschoolfan78
04-02-2009, 06:04 PM
A nationalistic government like the one North Korea possesses will never allow the majority of their population to become educated. Therefore, this regime will jeopardize the lives of millions for his totalitarian actions. I feel sorry for the many countries that suffer under this type of leadership.

sahen
04-02-2009, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
let them two countries fight it out. we are in no way financially able to be world police anymore.

Japan basically has no military might cause of us after WW2...for us to do nothing if they got into trouble w/ North Korea would be like us killing Japan ourselves...not to mention alienating one of our staunchest allies...

sahen
04-02-2009, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Meanwhile 80%(?) of the population lives in poverty.

more than that...and they live in the middle ages not just poverty...they are like serfs and indentured servants....

goosealaniz
04-02-2009, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by jason
Kim Jong Il

these people are nuts - can't we just blow them all up?

i just watched team america... so i say... lets just send them there and blow everything up

bandera7
04-02-2009, 09:56 PM
I have to agree with sahen here. Japan needs our help if a crazy country like North Korea does something stupid. not only would we be helping an ally, but also helping rid the world of a crazy dictator.

sahen
04-02-2009, 10:00 PM
its a slippery slope though bandera...if china decides to help north korea then the crazy north koreans would have just started WW3 by attacking japan or south korea...scary thought...

most likely north korea is all talk like always and wont do anything but try to get more money...

bandera7
04-02-2009, 10:03 PM
Yeah that is where things get...touchy. We don't need China involved in this. Hell, offer China some form of an incentive to keep themselves out of it. But North Korea needs to stop their games.

DDBooger
04-02-2009, 10:11 PM
I think China's concern with North Korea has diminished drastically since they developed a more capitalistic economy. Their reliance upon us is almost symbiotic. They would risk war over Taiwan before North Korea. That being said, the response would have to be measured and that would tie our hands. I think what escapes most of yall is the fact that 30+ thousand American troops and civies rest under their artillery range and the largest city in South Korea is also in range. They could rain hell down almost at the snap of a finger. It would be quite a while before we could mass enough troops to stop a push. I can't remember if we have the same policy in South Korea as we had in Europe during the Cold war (tactical nuclear weapons)

Txbroadcaster
04-02-2009, 10:15 PM
Fighting North Korea is not an easy thing

first off the terrain there is PERFECT for a defense their border is either mountain, ocean or both

second they would fight to the last man.

sahen
04-02-2009, 10:17 PM
i am by no means was advocating fighting north korea...i just meant if they went after japan we would have to help, which of course means fighting them...i dont think we should start anything unless if they actually shot one of their "satellites" at us...

Txbroadcaster
04-02-2009, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by sahen
i by no means was advocating fighting north korea...i just meant if they went after japan we would have to help, which of course means fighting them...i dont think we should start anything unless if they actually shot one of their "satellites" at us...

we will do wat we always do...give em aid, it shuts him up until they need more money then they start grandstanding again

DDBooger
04-02-2009, 10:19 PM
that being said, we are still pretty unsure of what technology they have, if they have anything similar to what Iran showed against the Israeli warship off the coast, they could pose a serious threat to any warships in the area. Not to mention if China shares their technology with them, they just developed a missile that essentially can strike any boat up 2,000 mi away and travel at 10X the speed of sound. Even we haven't developed something like that yet! Rather than match our Navy, they have taken the position to pose a threat to it w/o the expense of one of their own to match us.

DDBooger
04-02-2009, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Fighting North Korea is not an easy thing

first off the terrain there is PERFECT for a defense their border is either mountain, ocean or both

second they would fight to the last man. Koreans are amazing soldiers. The ROK served VERY honorably in Korea and Vietnam. I can only imagine the indoctrinated North

sahen
04-02-2009, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
we will do wat we always do...give em aid, it shuts him up until they need more money then they start grandstanding again

true...however if they were as bold to actually shoot a missle at japan i dont think aid would do...

DDBooger
04-02-2009, 10:23 PM
true...however if they were as bold to actually shoot a missle at japan i dont think aid would do... not at, over, they've done it plenty of times. We mistake them for being crazy, no, paranoid, yes! But not stupid. Giving us a pretext would be a loss for them.

sahen
04-02-2009, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
not at, over, they've done it plenty of times. We mistake them for being crazy, no, paranoid, yes! But not stupid. Giving us a pretext would be a loss for them.

but originally the question was why help japan if they shoot a missle down that was heading for them...thats what i said "at"

i dont think north korea is going to actually do anything honestly...they always get waht they want by acting like they will do something...its just another bluff by them to get money...

DDBooger
04-02-2009, 10:38 PM
but originally the question was why help japan if they shoot a missle down that was heading for them...thats what i said "at"

i dont think north korea is going to actually do anything honestly...they always get waht they want by acting like they will do something...its just another bluff by them to get money... my bad, and agreed! We for far too long have only provided the carrot, kind of like rewarding bad behavior! But that is a tough geopolitical situation

Highschoolfan78
04-03-2009, 11:57 AM
I think we are already spread a bit to thin with our ongoing feuds in Iraq and Afghanistan. If obligate ourselves to become involved with this, we will risk our superiority. It is definitely a tough situation and it rests at the feet of the Chinese government. They can prevent it or allow it to occur. It is down right scary that it can dismantle the largest city in South Korea at the speed of light. I just pray that Kim just wants publicity again. Terrain is definitely in the favor of North Korea. Our casualties would be outrageous if we attempted a similar plan that we implemented in Iraq.

sahen
04-03-2009, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Highschoolfan78
Our casualties would be outrageous if we attempted a similar plan that we implemented in Iraq.

i know we wouldnt do it but if we ever actually HAD to fight North Korea i would be in favor of bombing them into oblivion first....however, lets just hope the Koreans are just crazy and not stupid enough to actually start a fight...i think thats where they stand but they push it so much you never know...

Black_Magic
04-03-2009, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I hope it never comes to that, jason. Unfortunately, N.Korea is a rogue state that doesn't respect anything but a clenched fist. I think the U.S. will have to make a pre-emptive strike on N. Korea's nuclear installations if they develop ballistic missle potential delivery capability that reaches the U.S. a pre emptive strike may not be very smart. Risky. the rath that Capitol of S Korea would feel would be incredible. It has been said that The N Koreans have enough Rockets and Artilery trained on Seoul that they could kill over 300,000 in just a few hours evern withoug Nukes. NOt a good deal at all.

Bullaholic
04-03-2009, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
a pre emptive strike may not be very smart. Risky. the rath that Capitol of S Korea would feel would be incredible. It has been said that The N Koreans have enough Rockets and Artilery trained on Seoul that they could kill over 300,000 in just a few hours evern withoug Nukes. NOt a good deal at all.

Better to fight again in Korea rather than scooping up the ashes of a major West coast city someday.

Highschoolfan78
04-05-2009, 12:13 PM
If anyone wants a historical background of North and South Korea and their division, watch this video.

North Korea (http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&q=North+Korea&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wv&ei=1uXYSafZOozoMP-s5IMP&oi=property_suggestions&resnum=0&ct=property-revision&cd=1#)