PDA

View Full Version : Corporal Punishment in school?

kaorder1999
04-02-2009, 10:42 AM
Just wanted to see what everyones opinion is on the subject of Corporal Punishment (Paddling) in schools. Many schools have banned it and some schools still allow it with written permission for parents/guardians, etc. What is your opinion?

kaorder1999
04-02-2009, 10:43 AM
Im just posting this after reading the story about the "Between 10 and 21 licks" the kid at Lincoln supposedly got from a coach/coaches. Crazy

garciap77
04-02-2009, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
Im just posting this after reading the story about the "Between 10 and 21 licks" the kid at Lincoln supposedly got from a coach/coaches. Crazy

That is 10 to 21 is a large spread! Kids sometimes double or triple numbers! Bet, he got 5 licks!

Lion_Addict
04-02-2009, 11:38 AM
I got my tail busted many a time in school, and I turned out perfectly normal.......... :twitch: :twitch: :twitch:

HEH HEH!!!! :devil:

jason
04-02-2009, 11:39 AM
tazers

BreckTxLonghorn
04-02-2009, 11:43 AM
Put'em in a cage, let'em duke it out.

Ingleside Fan
04-02-2009, 12:24 PM
And after they get it at school. Call the parents for them to whip the kids butt also.

:)

Phantom Stang
04-02-2009, 12:56 PM
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Lion_Addict "I got my tail busted many a time in school, and I turned out perfectly normal.......... :twitch: :twitch: :twitch:"

Same here,but I voted no. I went to school in a different time, and was taught by teachers who by and large, had a different mentality than those who seem to dominate the field in the present age of "zero tolerance".

I. B. Watching
04-02-2009, 01:00 PM
I don't know anymore. I used to be in favor of it. I got a few licks every now and then for stupid stuff back in the day. I'm not sure if it made me behave better or not. I know it kind of hurt. Lol

garciap77
04-02-2009, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Lion_Addict
I got my tail busted many a time in school, and I turned out perfectly normal.......... :twitch: :twitch: :twitch:

:D

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/Addict.jpg

;)

SWMustang
04-02-2009, 01:15 PM
I'm ok with it, but I want to know what my kid did and talk to him/her first before it happens.

RiverRat19
04-02-2009, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Ingleside Fan
And after they get it at school. Call the parents for them to whip the kids butt also.

:)
Doesn't happen enough when the kids get in trouble... That's why most of them need licks at school.

Heck, some of the parents need the licks too. Not all, but many for letting their kids act like fools or for copying what they see from mom and dad. Some kids actually have great parents who try to get them to act right but still choose to do stupid things... Discipline should be forced on those who don't get it at home.

Highschoolfan78
04-02-2009, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Put'em in a cage, let'em duke it out.

They already tried that in a Dallas school, remember? It didn't work out well for that high school.

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/local/41498107.html

Phantom Stang
04-02-2009, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
That is 10 to 21 is a large spread! Kids sometimes double or triple numbers! Bet, he got 5 licks!
It wasn't the kid who ratted him out. It was another coach. The head coach owned up to giving him "about 10 licks".

Here's part of an article I found about it....

According to the investigative report, the student was removed from the football team for reasons that included a verbal altercation with a Lincoln security adviser who assisted the football team. The coaches apparently voted on whether the student should have the opportunity to return to the team.

Take licks, stay on team

According to their statements, some coaches voted against the idea, but the majority favored his return. Former head football coach Jerry Sands decided the student would have to take licks to be on the team, the report states. The student agreed.

Several of the coaches wrote that they were not aware of the district's no-paddling policy.

Lincoln coach Tyson Garner, who witnessed the paddling, stated in an affidavit that Sands gave the student about four licks before the board cracked at the base.

Garner said another coach mended the board with athletic tape and gave the student five quick licks that were milder than the first four, seemingly to try to conclude the punishment.

But Sands "proceeded to continue the licks," according to Garner.

After the paddling, some witnesses heard Sands say, "What happens in the room stays in this room," according to the report.

Sands, who had been Lincoln's head football coach for five years and has been on paid administrative leave since September, has refused to comment on the incident. But according to the investigative report, Sands doesn't believe he hit the student hard because the student showed up for practice the next day. He also believes he gave him about 10 licks.

Sands stated in an affidavit that other coaches also paddled the student, but he didn't name them because he couldn't be certain which ones participated.

Sands wrote that he wanted to help the student find "a way to get out of the inner city and make it in life." He said he thought there should be consequences for his actions.

"It was never my intent to hurt [the student]. If anything, I was trying to help him," Sands wrote.

At the end of the affidavit, Sands said, "I regret this incident and this will never occur again."

Garner sent the student to the nurse's office after the paddling. The student said he lied and told the nurse he had been injured playing football. The nurse was suspicious but did not file a "suspected child abuse report," the investigative report said.

The next morning, Garner noticed the student having trouble walking and again sent him to the nurse. The nurse gave him a referral slip to see a physician. The student said he left the school but did not see a doctor.

Garner reported the beating to a child abuse hotline and was told to inform the principal.

LINK (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/texassouthwest/stories/DN-paddling_02met.ART.State.Edition2.4a9313a.html)

wildstangs
04-02-2009, 08:23 PM
Wish we could, but don't know if it would help much these days. I know when I got in trouble at school, I got it worse when I got home, no questions asked. That was just 10 years ago.

Something happened that caused parents to change from that. I have only been teaching a little over a year, and have already had incidents where I come down on a student, and then the parent came down on me for trying to discipline the kid. 80% of these kids are held unaccountable and it sure does show in schools. It all starts at home.

Keith7
04-02-2009, 08:25 PM
They gave us a choice in middle school, either detention or get the paddle from the vice principal

RMAC
04-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
They gave us a choice in middle school, either detention or get the paddle from the vice principal

I graduated 3 years ago. Granted, last licks I had was in 6th grade so closer to 10 years since then, but that was how we did it at Wylie. And then I got whipped more when I got home. Didn't really make me behave better, but simply made it take longer until my teachers would be fed up with me again and I'd be sent to the office.

SintonFan
04-02-2009, 09:03 PM
10-1 in favor...
:thinking: :clap:

SintonFan
04-02-2009, 09:04 PM
Way too many kids these days never get vitamin "N"...:eek:
N stands for "NO".

garciap77
04-03-2009, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by wildstangs
Wish we could, but don't know if it would help much these days. I know when I got in trouble at school, I got it worse when I got home, no questions asked. That was just 10 years ago.

Something happened that caused parents to change from that. I have only been teaching a little over a year, and have already had incidents where I come down on a student, and then the parent came down on me for trying to discipline the kid. 80% of these kids are held unaccountable and it sure does show in schools. It all starts at home.

My son knows better than to blame the teacher. The teacher is always right in my book! Him knowing this; is what keeps him in check.

Lion_Addict
04-03-2009, 08:29 AM

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/Addict.jpg

http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/5809/roflsmiliemn4.gif

:clap: :clap:

garciap77
04-03-2009, 08:40 AM
;)

STANG RED
04-03-2009, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Lion_Addict

Well, by Brownwood standards of normal anyway.:p

garciap77
04-03-2009, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Well, by Brownwood standards of normal anyway.:p

Now that was brilliant.

;)

How have you been Stang?

STANG RED
04-03-2009, 09:07 AM
Now that was brilliant.

;)

How have you been Stang?

Been good but busy. You? How is the pulse at DAFB? Your son still running track?

I've spent lots of time on the road traveling the county of late. It'll be a lot more fun when the weather gets better though. Headed to Chicago in 4 weeks for a few days, so I'm really hoping for good weather while I'm there. Never been there, so I'm looking forward to seeing the sights.

Ranger Mom
04-03-2009, 09:08 AM
The Greenwood principal would always call me and tell me the "charge" and let me speak to my kid.

I would ask them what they wanted....ISS or licks....whatever they chose I did the opposite...........that was until they caught on!:D

Either way, they were grounded for at least a week.

Which brings up another question.....Is grounding more punishment on the parent than the child? It sure felt like it to me! I was always happier than they were when it was over!!

trg
04-03-2009, 09:13 AM
I don't think paddling should be allowed in school. If I feel my child needs to be paddled I will do the paddling. And trust me...they have gotten their share.