PDA

View Full Version : Neighbors....

Bullaholic
03-31-2009, 04:34 PM
Did you ever notice that hardly anybody knows their neighbors very well anymore? Back in the day, our whole neighborhood used to have barbeques, fish frys, etc. and play cards at each other's houses. Not so much nowadays....:(

Maybe the economic downturn will cause folks to depend on and care for each other again....

44INAROW
03-31-2009, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Did you ever notice that hardly anybody knows their neighbors very well anymore? Back in the day, our whole neighborhood used to have barbeques, fish frys, etc. and play cards at each other's houses. Not so much nowadays....:(

Maybe the economic downturn will cause folks to depend on and care for each other again....

Our neighborhood has an annual "block party" in October. I'd say we have 90% participation and a good time is had by all. It started out as a "thank you" to each other for helping out in the devasting flood of 1998 (some of the houses had 4 feet of water some less but it was horrible) On an individual basis, some of us gather at one particular house once a month or so and sit out back around the pool or under the neat covered area they built and enjoy adult beverages ;)
you are right, maybe if anything good can come out of these tough economic times, folks will learn to depend on their close friends and neighbors and enjoy the "free" things in life :)

Bullaholic
03-31-2009, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Our neighborhood has an annual "block party" in October. I'd say we have 90% participation and a good time is had by all. It started out as a "thank you" to each other for helping out in the devasting flood of 1998 (some of the houses had 4 feet of water some less but it was horrible) On an individual basis, some of us gather at one particular house once a month or so and sit out back around the pool or under the neat covered area they built and enjoy adult beverages ;)
you are right, maybe if anything good can come out of these tough economic times, folks will learn to depend on their close friends and neighbors and enjoy the "free" things in life :)

I love to hear about people doing this, 44IAR---that is the essence of living---people just enjoying each other's company without any ulterior motivations. Hats off to your neighborhood.

crzyjournalist03
03-31-2009, 05:23 PM
I'll be honest, I couldn't name any of my neighbors and I've lived in my current house for about 15 months. One guy's kid broke our window, and he wrote a check, but my wife accidentally threw it out with the trash and he wouldn't give us another.

There was a rowdy group of college students living across the street in a rent house, but they literally lived out of their garage and had the TV, Xbox, and couch set up in it, but it was against HOA rules, so we were always trying to get them in trouble.

Then I don't even know what our other neighbors look like to be totally honest.

PPSTATEBOUND
04-01-2009, 08:46 AM
Sounds like you live by a bunch of squares, rowdy college kids, kid accidently breaking window...... dang.:rolleyes:

Ranger Mom
04-01-2009, 08:54 AM
I have neighbors on either side of me, but each of has appx. 4 acres of land that our houses sit on, so we barely ever see each other.

I feed the dogs for the neighbor to the left of me when they go out of town.

And the neighbor on the right shot and killed my dog a few years back....but I have forgiven him!:)

The are all nice people, close to mine and my husbands age, but we don't really have anything in common with them.

SintonFan
04-02-2009, 11:27 AM
My neighbor and I just hosted our 3rd annual BBQ/get together(at least 35 folks attended in 40 degree rain) a couple of weeks ago on a Friday. It was a hoot. I cooked 60 lbs of chicken and couldn't even taste it. I forgot about Lent when we decided what to BBQ.:doh:
I make it a point to meet my neighbors. When most of your family lives out of town, you sometimes have to rely on friends and neighbors when in need.
I'm known as the neighborhood handyman and our family as "The Neighbors".
Growing up in the country, my wife and I took that country attitude with us and folks seem to enjoy it.

kepdawg
04-02-2009, 11:42 AM
I don't speak the same language as most of my neighbors.