PDA

View Full Version : Should the NFL expand its season by two games?

Keith7
03-31-2009, 02:42 PM
Last week NFL commissioner Roger Goodell expressed interest in extending the NFL season by two games and lowering the number of preseason games.

In a league that is now embracing its history and prides itself for being fan friendly, this move would distance itself from the image that it has worked so hard to obtain.

With the creation of the NFL Network, the NFL Films series has moved from its old viewing time of 2 a.m. on ESPN to all hours of the day on the NFL Network.

This has created more interest in the history of the NFL, a league that has traditionally been reluctant to change.

Goodell wants to change that tradition. He wants to add more regular season games and thus hurt the integrity of the history of the league.

Think about this: with two more games added to NFL seasons, what will happen to the records of the past?

Running backs will perennially eclipse the 2,000-yard rushing mark, which is a feat that rarely happens. In the history of the NFL, only five running backs have run 2,000 yards in a season.

With two more games Adrian Peterson may have passed the 2,000-yard barrier considering he ran for 1,760 yards while averaging 110 yards per game. LaDainian Tomlinson and Larry Johnson faced similar situations during the 2006 season and going through history more and more can be added to the list.

Also, last season New Orleans Saints' quarterback Drew Brees fell 15 yards shy from the season passing record currently held by former Miami Dolphins' quarterback Dan Marino. Barring injury I think it's safe to say that Brees would have easily passed Marino's record.

How would Marino feel if his record was broken in the added games?

He would not only fall to second in the record books but his record would receive an asterisk, as would anybody else's when new records are set.

The main point to Goodell's argument is that the NFL preseason is too long. Year after year high profile athletes suffer serious injuries in the preseason, causing more people to gripe about the preseason games.

This could be avoided by just cutting down the number of preseason games without adding additional games. Just because the number of preseason games are going down doesn't mean you have to add more to the regular season. Just cut the two preseason games and spend the extra time in training camp.

Nobody but die-hard fans care to watch or even attend the games, so nobody would be upset if the games were eliminated.

In the end, I believe this comes down to money. As mentioned before, nobody cares about preseason games, they attract little fanfare and ratings are always low.

Two more games in the regular season mean two more opportunities to sell out stadiums and two more games to sell to television networks.

The NFL isn't doing this to protect its players. It isn't doing this in the interest of its fans. It's about the cash.

It has already been determined that next season will have the normal 16 game schedule but expect this topic to be revisited at season's end.

The question of adding more games isn't a question of adding more entertainment but rather one of the NFL's integrity.

crzyjournalist03
03-31-2009, 02:46 PM
Oh no!

The Miami Dolphins went undefeated in a 14-game season...that record is so tarnished now that we have a 16-game season.

Babe Ruth hit 60 home runs in a 154 game season...that record is tarnished now that we play 162 games...

Sweetwater Red
03-31-2009, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Oh no!

The Miami Dolphins went undefeated in a 14-game season...that record is so tarnished now that we have a 16-game season.

Babe Ruth hit 60 home runs in a 154 game season...that record is tarnished now that we play 162 games...

Oh! Quit being a traditionalist.:rolleyes: :D

DDBooger
03-31-2009, 02:58 PM
as long as they shorten the preseason. I can't stand preseason games, but when we are starved for football, sometimes anything is better than nothing.

Sweetwater Red
03-31-2009, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
as long as they shorten the preseason. I can't stand preseason games, but when we are starved for football, sometimes anything is better than nothing.

Yeah. ESPN's first preseason Monday night game is Pittsburgh vs.
Arizona. I guess we'll get an idea of who would of won the
Super Bowl last year if only the scrubs had played in the game.

DDBooger
03-31-2009, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Yeah. ESPN's first preseason Monday night game is Pittsburgh vs.
Arizona. I guess we'll get an idea of who would of won the
Super Bowl last year if only the scrubs had played in the game. we're so worried with protecting the players, either stop all the preseason games or have only 1 or 2 with the rest filled in with scrimmages. I don't know, I don't necessarily have the answer, but anyone who pays pretty good $$ to go to a preseason game is an idiot, apologies to guilty parties here! ;) lol

Keith7
03-31-2009, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03

it has.. Just ask Roger Marris about that

Sweetwater Red
03-31-2009, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
we're so worried with protecting the players, either stop all the preseason games or have only 1 or 2 with the rest filled in with scrimmages. I don't know, I don't necessarily have the answer, but anyone who pays pretty good $$ to go to a preseason game is an idiot, apologies to guilty parties here! ;) lol

Injuries happen. I remember Rod Woodson blowing his knee out
in the fourth preason game while trying to tackle Barry Sanders.
Pttsburgh obviously lost him for the year.

Coaches argue that they need those first preseason games to
evaluate talent and the players say the whole pre and regular
season is too much of a grind. Maybe they'll meet in the middle
some where. I'd like to see the preseason shortened and
the regular season extended.

Phil C
03-31-2009, 03:17 PM
I don't think they should increase to 18 games. And I still think there are too many preseason games.

Keith7
03-31-2009, 03:20 PM
how about we add more teams to the playoffs thus adding more playoff games instead of adding more regular season games

jason
03-31-2009, 03:31 PM
if they add games players will gripe about how they are only getting paid to play 16 games, not 18....

Sweetwater Red
03-31-2009, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
how about we add more teams to the playoffs thus adding more playoff games instead of adding more regular season games

So that 7-9 and 6-10 teams make the playoffs?

Pick6
03-31-2009, 03:34 PM

Just trying to help Detroit get in the playoffs. :D

STANG RED
03-31-2009, 04:03 PM

Check your math Red. Your only accounting for 16 or the proposed 18 games.:p

I see no problem with expanding to 18 reg season games, as long as they shorten the pre season by 2 games as well. I seldom even watch meaningless pre season games anyway, except for maybe the last one. At least most starters are playing for a half anyway.

Dont add playoff games though. It'll get too watered down by teams that dont belong there.

Keith7
03-31-2009, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Check your math Red. Your only accounting for 16 or the proposed 18 games.:p

I see no problem with expanding to 18 reg season games, as long as they shorten the pre season by 2 games as well. I seldom even watch meaningless pre season games anyway, except for maybe the last one. At least most starters are playing for a half anyway.

Dont add playoff games though. It'll get too watered down by teams that dont belong there.

You don't care that Emmitt Smith's career rushing record will be meaning less? but you are afraid that the playoffs will be too watered down? interesting incite on what some NFL fans find more important

crzyjournalist03
03-31-2009, 05:26 PM
You don't care that Emmitt Smith's career rushing record will be meaning less? but you are afraid that the playoffs will be too watered down? interesting incite on what some NFL fans find more important

With the current two-back system employed by teams, nobody is touching Emmitt's record, even if the season does expand. Running backs don't have near the shelf lives that they did ten years ago.

And I think that old records still get acknowledged even as the game changes.

We all still know that Babe Ruth hit 60, Maris hit 61, Hank Aaron hit 755, that the Dolphins were undefeated in '72, etc.

STANG RED
03-31-2009, 07:01 PM

Emmitt's CAREER record has nothing to do with # of regular season games per season.
Season records would be affected, but they already are. This isnt the first time the NFL has made changes ya know.
Also, I dont really care much about any players career or season records. I just like change for the sake of change sometime. Especially when it looks like an improvement.

Keith7
03-31-2009, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Emmitt's CAREER record has nothing to do with # of regular season games per season.
Season records would be affected, but they already are. This isnt the first time the NFL has made changes ya know.
Also, I dont really care much about any players career or season records. I just like change for the sake of change sometime. Especially when it looks like an improvement.

Smith's career record would be affected because players would get more games to add yards. Two extra 100 yard games over added over a ten year career adds another 2,000 yards to career totals.

and its not an improvement.. just an extra chance for owners to make money at the cost of the league's history..

OldBison75
03-31-2009, 07:42 PM
I'm not sure adding extra games would add anything to a season in the NFL. I would rather see the same number of games with the playoff system re-designed. Right now, there are so many playoff teams that are not really deserving of being in, that the season is already long for most teams. Just eliminate one preseason game and make the playoffs with the top 10 teams by record and let them fight it out. If it so happens that a division champ can't break the top ten, then they should not be in the playoffs.

16 regular season games is enough.

Trashman
03-31-2009, 08:12 PM
Yes, as long as they get rid of two preseason games.:nerd: