PDA

View Full Version : Here is another reason Mike Leach is one of the best coaches in college football

Pmoney
03-31-2009, 09:45 AM
found this on Yahoo! I dont know if it has been posted...

LINK (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Discipline-Mike-Leach-style-Cruel-unusual-and?urn=ncaaf,151401)

Texas came as close last week as a region can to hitting for the meteorological cycle: In a matter of days, the Lone Star State endured heat, cold, wind, heavy rain, some hail and even, over the weekend, a little flurry in the panhandle. Texas Tech coach Mike Leach, in his intimate knowledge of west Texas weather, knew Friday's cold spell was a fleeting opportunity -- in Lubbock, after all, how often do you get to send a wayward wide receiver to the 50-yard-line to study by himself in the snow?

Edward Britton, Texas Tech’s most experienced split end, was demoted before spring practice and further raised the ire of Tech coach Mike Leach this week. After Friday’s practice in 30-degree weather and a few snow flurries, Britton was sent to study classwork on the double-T at midfield of Jones AT&T Stadium.

He sat at a desk, in street clothes and a heavy coat with the hood pulled up.

"Ed didn’t like showing up and studying at places I felt like he needed to and like the academic people asked him to, so he can go study out there on the 50-yard line," Leach said. "We’ll take baby steps, and if he does good studying out there, we’ll decide if we’re going to actually let him practice."
[...]
"If somehow he fails to do that, then that’ll be the last we ever hear of Easy Ed," Leach said.

We'll assume in that last line that Leach means he might boot Britton (above, No. 27) from the team, since the Captain's taste for unorthodoxy and blood presumably does not extend to fitting players for concrete Nikes (or, in Tech's case, Under Armours). Still, until the Justice Department wrangles tapes of Alabama's closed "study session" at Devil's Island from the man-sized safe in Nick Saban's office, the modern title for "Most Cruel and Unusual Punishment in College Football" belongs to Leach.

Phil C
03-31-2009, 10:35 AM
Yes indeed he is a great coach. He was very good against Texas last year. He was superd against Oklahoma in Norman and Mississippi in the Cotton Bowl.

Maroon87
03-31-2009, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Yes indeed he is a great coach. He was very good against Texas last year. He was superd against Oklahoma in Norman and Mississippi in the Cotton Bowl.

:spitlol:

WildTexan972
03-31-2009, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Phil C

but at least his teeth don't look like a stick of butter like at least 1 central Texas college football coach's do.....

DDBooger
03-31-2009, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by WildTexan972
but at least his teeth don't look like a stick of butter like at least 1 central Texas college football coach's do..... that's just the glimmer off the gold on his national championship ring.:D

wildstangs
03-31-2009, 01:22 PM
but at least his teeth don't look like a stick of butter like at least 1 central Texas college football coach's do.....
Stick of butter with a national championship ring.

Honestly, how does Leech making Britton sit outside in the cold a great coach? Don't get me wrong, he has done wonders for Tech, but will he ever get them to the next level?

BwdLions
03-31-2009, 02:49 PM

Yes, it's much better to be a drunk with a law degree that has about as much personality as a stump (than not having bright white teeth). That's a good argument there man.

WestTxschwab
03-31-2009, 10:25 PM
He is getting his point across but a great coach?????

Paul "Bear" Bryant and his junction boys camp did not make him a "great" coach by any means, winning championships made him a great coach.

jockcity33
04-01-2009, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by BwdLions
Yes, it's much better to be a drunk with a law degree that has about as much personality as a stump (than not having bright white teeth). That's a good argument there man.

So tell us exactly when and where you have seen Mike Leach drunk!!! And if he is a drunk with a law degree you should really be worried about your team because they got beat by a drunk with a law degree.

Pmoney
04-01-2009, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by wildstangs
Stick of butter with a national championship ring.

Honestly, how does Leech making Britton sit outside in the cold a great coach? Don't get me wrong, he has done wonders for Tech, but will he ever get them to the next level?
Well the reason I was saying that this was an example of why mike leach was a great coach is because he understands that the MAIN reason these kids are there is NOT football, its school...These kids are STUDENT-athletes while they are there...now once they are in the pros they are athletes...As many coaches would agree, There is a lot more to coaching than the game...The difference between a good coach who turns a program around and a great coach who turns a program around is does the coach teach his players how to become a better person? and learning to get your priorities straight like school is first and athletics is second is helping the players to become better people

DDBooger
04-01-2009, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by jockcity33
So tell us exactly when and where you have seen Mike Leach drunk!!! And if he is a drunk with a law degree you should really be worried about your team because they got beat by a drunk with a law degree. well if he wasn't a drunk before the UT Game, he certainly raised the chances of becoming one after the Oklahoma game! :dispntd:

BwdLions
04-01-2009, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by jockcity33
So tell us exactly when and where you have seen Mike Leach drunk!!! And if he is a drunk with a law degree you should really be worried about your team because they got beat by a drunk with a law degree.

Okay, okay you got me. I haven't seen the man drink. It's just hard to ignore all the stories I've heard. Besides, you can tell by looking at the man's face, he drinks. Or least I can.

ol country boy
04-01-2009, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by BwdLions

So the only way to be a great coach is to win a Championship?

It is more about the Jimmy & Joes and not the X's & O's.

Let's just take Urban Myer. He was a good coach at Utah. If he would have stayed there he most likely would have never won a championship. Did he all of a sudden become a great coach at Florida.

I think the answer is no. He was a good coach before and after. The talent level got better.

I also don't think just because you have the talent you are going to win. It takes a mixture of both.

BEAST
04-01-2009, 04:58 PM
At the college level it is more about recruiting than coaching. Now, I am not saying coaching isnt important. My mind just went blank and I cant think of his name but I am going to talk the HC at USC. I heard today on ESPN Radio that over the last seven years, in games that where decided by 6 point or less, he is 3-7. That is where a great coach or tactition comes into play. Winning those close ones. However, those close games rarely happen to him because he usually has far better talent than anyone his team plays against.

Who is better between him and Mack Brown? I will take Mack. They both recruit well, but head to head, in a game that was as close as can be, Macks defense got Vince the ball back. And USCs coach screwed up by not getting the ball to Reggie Bush. He screwed up again by not having several people keying on Vince.

If two teams have "equal" talent, the true art of coaching comes into play. However, there arent many teams that get the talent like USC, UT, Florida and so on.

BEAST

BreckTxLonghorn
04-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Pmoney
Well the reason I was saying that this was an example of why mike leach was a great coach is because he understands that the MAIN reason these kids are there is NOT football, its school...These kids are STUDENT-athletes while they are there...now once they are in the pros they are athletes...As many coaches would agree, There is a lot more to coaching than the game...The difference between a good coach who turns a program around and a great coach who turns a program around is does the coach teach his players how to become a better person? and learning to get your priorities straight like school is first and athletics is second is helping the players to become better people

Now THAT is how to make a good point. :clap:

Pmoney
04-01-2009, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Now THAT is how to make a good point. :clap:
haha YEP :D

bandera7
04-01-2009, 10:55 PM
I think this would more qualify him as a great athletic director than as a great coach. College football has become a business. Its about winning and losing. Leach is on his way to becoming a great coach. But I dont think he is there yet. This makes me respect the man more but to me doesnt do anything for his coaching status