PDA

View Full Version : College Residency

SHSBulldog00
03-28-2009, 08:47 PM
Can an athlete in Texas attend a college without staying in the dorm as a freshman?

If not what if he or she were married?

Emerson1
03-28-2009, 09:01 PM
Do you mean specifically stay in dorms, or just living on campus?

SHSBulldog00
03-28-2009, 10:32 PM
live on campus.

mwynn05
03-29-2009, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by SHSBulldog00
Can an athlete in Texas attend a college without staying in the dorm as a freshman?

If not what if he or she were married? depends on the school really...a lot of schools require freshmen to live on campus for 1 the money 2 the experience, as much as it sucks its probably worth it because of the friends and memories you make...me and my old roommate very rarely talk about how bad it sucked we usually make fun of each other or talk about all the crazy and stupid things that happened and that we did

Txbroadcaster
03-29-2009, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by mwynn05
depends on the school really...a lot of schools require freshmen to live on campus for 1 the money 2 the experience, as much as it sucks its probably worth it because of the friends and memories you make...me and my old roommate very rarely talk about how bad it sucked we usually make fun of each other or talk about all the crazy and stupid things that happened and that we did

forgot the third reason

They dont want Freshman who have never lived outside of home jumping right into a no rules free for all

Not all school's do it..A&M-Commerce did not, but it also lacks the space for that much housing

mwynn05
03-29-2009, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
forgot the third reason

They dont want Freshman who have never lived outside of home jumping right into a no rules free for all

Not all school's do it..A&M-Commerce did not, but it also lacks the space for that much housing there weren;t 3 reasons only 2

Txbroadcaster
03-29-2009, 10:47 AM
there weren;t 3 reasons only 2

LOL no I was adding the third

The number one reason most colleges require Frshman to live on campus is because it HELPS keep the freshman in school.

Studies prove that freshman living off campus have a greater risk of dropping out, or flunking out because again going from a secure home enviroment to living either alone or with friends AND the pressure of the first year of college alot of times is to much for the freshman to handle.

Oh and dont forget a 4th reason...They make money off of it lol

LH Panther Mom
03-29-2009, 11:00 AM
Oh and dont forget a 4th reason...They make money off of it lol
That was his number 1. :p

Txbroadcaster
03-29-2009, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
That was his number 1. :p

lol my bad I thought he meant money as in saving money for students in utility bills DOH :doh:

mwynn05
03-29-2009, 12:37 PM
LOL no I was adding the third

The number one reason most colleges require Frshman to live on campus is because it HELPS keep the freshman in school.

Studies prove that freshman living off campus have a greater risk of dropping out, or flunking out because again going from a secure home enviroment to living either alone or with friends AND the pressure of the first year of college alot of times is to much for the freshman to handle.

Oh and dont forget a 4th reason...They make money off of it lol well 3 and 1 are still the same lol

SHSBulldog00
03-29-2009, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the info. My nephew is thinking about living with his girlfriend as they will both attend the same school.

mwynn05
03-29-2009, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by SHSBulldog00
Thanks for the info. My nephew is thinking about living with his girlfriend as they will both attend the same school. thats about a stupid move...they wont last a semester

ASUFrisbeeStud
03-29-2009, 10:30 PM
thats about a stupid move...they wont last a semester
x2

mwynn05
03-30-2009, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
x2 seen it waaaay too many times

jason
03-31-2009, 07:44 AM
some schools will let you live off campus if you are living with a family member who lives in the town - like an aunt/uncle or brother/sister who attend the school and live off campus...

carter08
04-04-2009, 04:31 PM
UH doesn't have any rule about Freshmen living on campus.

Sometimes I wish I had though, to avoid the 15 minute drive across Houston every day.

Living with friends is not the best environment for studying either.