PDA

View Full Version : Duncanville boys basketball coach McNeely retires

kepdawg
03-27-2009, 04:06 PM
Duncanville boys basketball coach McNeely retires

03:55 PM CDT on Friday, March 27, 2009

By DAMON L. SAYLES / The Dallas Morning News
dsayles@dallasnews.com

DUNCANVILLE – Longtime Duncanville boys basketball coach Phil McNeely, after 31 years of coaching, has decided to hang up the whistle.

McNeely on Friday told his players that he will retire after 27 seasons at Duncanville, the last 25 of those as the team's head coach. McNeely posted a 702-174 record and earned his 700th victory in an area-round playoff game against Flower Mound Marcus on Feb. 27.

"There are no negatives. I had great kids, and it's been a great ride," McNeely said. "But it was time."

McNeely led Duncanville to UIL 5A state championships in 1991, 1999 and 2007. The 2007 team, in addition, earned a mythical national championship from HoopsUSA.com after a 39-0 season.

Duncanville finished 27-10 this season and lost to Cedar Hill in the 5A Region I championship game. This year's team included three Division I signees in Shawn Williams (Texas) and Oklahoma State-bound Roger Franklin and Reger Dowell, as well as a Baylor commitment in 6-11 junior Perry Jones.

The Duncanville ISD Board of Trustees three weeks ago approved naming the court at Sandra Meadows Memorial Arena to Phil McNeely Court. McNeely's father, Clifton, has the field house at Pampa High School named after him.

"I have mixed emotions. On one hand, he gets to go out on his own terms, and he's excited about retirement," Duncanville athletic director Kevin Ozee said. "On the other hand, I'm losing a friend in the coaching world."

Ozee said the search for a new head coach will begin next week. Corey Chism was McNeely's assistant coach at Duncanville this season.

BreckTxLonghorn
03-27-2009, 04:15 PM
Are they not counting Baylor as D-I? 'Cause I count 4 guys in there...

kepdawg
03-27-2009, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Are they not counting Baylor as D-I? 'Cause I count 4 guys in there...

Since Jones is a junior he is a commitment, not a signee.

BreckTxLonghorn
03-27-2009, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Since Jones is a junior he is a commitment, not a signee.

Ahhh. Duly noted.