PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News out of Kentucky....

IHStangFan
03-27-2009, 01:52 PM
Coach Billy Gillispie fired!! OUCH!!

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4021232)

kaorder1999
03-27-2009, 01:55 PM
WHAT? They said this morning that there would not be a decision made today!!

IHStangFan
03-27-2009, 01:56 PM
just came across the ticker on ESPN...then jumped to a report. He's out.

IHStangFan
03-27-2009, 01:59 PM
if you ask me, they've made a mistake. give the guy a chance....2 yrs? I think the Kentucky fan base, alum association, board, etc. have unrealistic expectations. I wonder w/ their recent track record of running off coaches and expecting change overnight will cause some coaches to pass on the job if and when they are offered it.

Johnny Utah
03-27-2009, 02:18 PM
He will be better off, land on his feet at a job in Texas and still get a 6 million dollar buyout. UK is not very realistic for sure!!!

Maroon87
03-27-2009, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
if you ask me, they've made a mistake. give the guy a chance....2 yrs? I think the Kentucky fan base, alum association, board, etc. have unrealistic expectations. I wonder w/ their recent track record of running off coaches and expecting change overnight will cause some coaches to pass on the job if and when they are offered it.

I agree with you, but apparently his on-court record wasn't the whole story. Apparently he didn't relate well to the boosters or the media, at least according to the "experts" on ESPN (i.e. Doug Gottleib)

BEAST
03-27-2009, 03:48 PM
I know alot of Aggies wish he would have never left. He probably wishes that now as well.

BEAST

Maroon87
03-27-2009, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by BEAST
I know alot of Aggies wish he would have never left. He probably wishes that now as well.

BEAST

True, but it's hard to turn down a HC offer from a place like Kentucky, UCLA, UNC, Kansas, etc...

crzyjournalist03
03-27-2009, 04:15 PM
I know this is really out of left field, but what do you guys think of Avery Johnson as a potential replacement? I honestly don't know if he'd even be interested in the college game, but Kentucky is a high-profile school, and Avery's NBA experience would definitely get them some attention.

I honestly think Avery's coaching style is more suited toward the college game, where players will come and go every few years, so his message wouldn't wear out as quickly as it did in Dallas.

BreckTxLonghorn
03-27-2009, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I know this is really out of left field, but what do you guys think of Avery Johnson as a potential replacement? I honestly don't know if he'd even be interested in the college game, but Kentucky is a high-profile school, and Avery's NBA experience would definitely get them some attention.

I honestly think Avery's coaching style is more suited toward the college game, where players will come and go every few years, so his message wouldn't wear out as quickly as it did in Dallas.

He'd be good somewhere in the college ranks; just don't know if Kentucky is the fit (too much pressure to win immediately than let him install a system and program). Did he go there (don't know off top of head)? If so, I can see that working better. If not, I see them looking from old alumni to find someone. Word is the VCU coach may be getting offers - I think Johnson would work wonders there if that guy left.

ILS1
03-27-2009, 04:24 PM

I bet they try to lure Bob Knight out of retirement. But I don't think so? Blue is not his color??

:D :D :D :D

crzyjournalist03
03-27-2009, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
He'd be good somewhere in the college ranks; just don't know if Kentucky is the fit (too much pressure to win immediately than let him install a system and program). Did he go there (don't know off top of head)? If so, I can see that working better. If not, I see them looking from old alumni to find someone. Word is the VCU coach may be getting offers - I think Johnson would work wonders there if that guy left.

No...he went to a school somewhere in Louisiana...

Apparently Fox TV in Orlando is reporting that Billy Donovan is resigning from Florida to take the Kentucky job...

kepdawg
03-27-2009, 04:27 PM
mwynn05 will be the next head coach at UK! :clap:

crzyjournalist03
03-27-2009, 04:36 PM

Apparently Fox TV in Orlando is reporting that Billy Donovan is resigning from Florida to take the Kentucky job...

and USA Today is apparently denying that report:

http://blogs.usatoday.com/bracketracket/2009/03/donovan-wont-be.html

DUKE22
03-27-2009, 04:44 PM
They made their first mistake letting Tubby Smith go. I agree they probably should have given him at least one more year. Then again he may have been in over his head.

Any thoughts on who takes over?
Billy D. Florida
John C. Memphis
They might want to look at Mike Anderson at Missouri, that guy can flat out coach, but I dont know that they will go that route again.

zebrablue2
03-27-2009, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by BEAST

BEAST

I am one of those, and I was ticked when he left. he got what he deserved. grass is not always greener. but the money already made, and a 6 million dollar buyout will ease the pain for a bit. LOL. If I were him, I would take a year or two off, and pick the next place to land on my feet..

jason
03-27-2009, 06:06 PM
rick barnes of texas is coming up in a few conversations...

a quote from donovan says he will stay at florida....

Txbroadcaster
03-27-2009, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
I am one of those, and I was ticked when he left. he got what he deserved. grass is not always greener. but the money already made, and a 6 million dollar buyout will ease the pain for a bit. LOL. If I were him, I would take a year or two off, and pick the next place to land on my feet..

He is not getting the 6 million..he NEVER signed the actual contract

eagles_victory
03-27-2009, 06:14 PM
I heard the name Travis Ford from Oklahoma St.

Like Jason said Rick Barnes is being talked about remember last time this job was open Rick Barnes was talked about a lot but he said he was staying at Texas. I dont think they will go after Barnes after brining in a coach from Texas before and that not working out.

Txbroadcaster
03-27-2009, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
I heard the name Travis Ford from Oklahoma St.

Like Jason said Rick Barnes is being talked about remember last time this job was open Rick Barnes was talked about a lot but he said he was staying at Texas. I dont think they will go after Barnes after brining in a coach from Texas before and that not working out.

I dont think Barnes coaching in Texas will matter one bit, Barnes has accomplished alot more than BG did

I dont think they will go after Barnes because UT can match whatever money UK would throw at Barnes, and UT is now one of the top 10 Basketball schools in the nation now

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-27-2009, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
UT is now one of the top 10 Basketball schools in the nation now

Ummm, what?

WylieBulldog92
03-27-2009, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Ummm, what?
oh you caught that too?

Maroon87
03-27-2009, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Ummm, what?

In terms of the players that have come out of UT recently, that statement is pretty accurate....

TJ Ford
Daniel Gibson
LaMarcus Aldridge
Kevin Durant
DJ Augustin

And I'm not trying to turn this into UT vs A&M, in case anyone was wondering...

Keith7
03-27-2009, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
In terms of the players that have come out of UT recently, that statement is pretty accurate....

TJ Ford
Daniel Gibson
LaMarcus Aldridge
Kevin Durant
DJ Augustin

And I'm not trying to turn this into UT vs A&M, in case anyone was wondering...

You gotta win something first to call your self a top basketball school...

On another note, I bet Gillispie got a heck of a buy out .. Wasn't he on a 7 year contract?

Emerson1
03-27-2009, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Keith7

Maroon87
03-27-2009, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Keith7

On another note, I bet Gillispie got a heck of a buy out .. Wasn't he on a 7 year contract?

Buyout was reported to be $6 mil I believe...:eek:

MN95
03-27-2009, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by DUKE22
They made their first mistake letting Tubby Smith go

They didn't let Tubby go, he resigned for the Minnesota job.

Also, someone mentioned Kentucky has a track record of running off coaches. Not true. Since Adolph Rupp...Joe Hall 16 years, Eddie Sutton 4 years and undone by a cash payment to a recruit, then Rick Pitino who left for the Celtics and Tubby.

My opinion the new coach will be Billy Donovan, a former Pitino assistant, Travis Ford a native Kentuckian and former UK point guard for Pitino, or John Calipari.

NastySlot
03-27-2009, 09:45 PM
I dont think Barnes coaching in Texas will matter one bit, Barnes has accomplished alot more than BG did

I dont think they will go after Barnes because UT can match whatever money UK would throw at Barnes, and UT is now one of the top 10 Basketball schools in the nation now

more like he(barnes) has won more and been around longer.......BG.....accomplished a lot...he took a joke of a basketball program and got them into the tourney in two years........texas wasn't that down when barnes took over......it was when penders took over. barnes has won with the players some one listed earlier....he better accomplish something.

coach
03-27-2009, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by MN95
They didn't let Tubby go, he resigned for the Minnesota job.

Also, someone mentioned Kentucky has a track record of running off coaches. Not true. Since Adolph Rupp...Joe Hall 16 years, Eddie Sutton 4 years and undone by a cash payment to a recruit, then Rick Pitino who left for the Celtics and Tubby.

My opinion the new coach will be Billy Donovan, a former Pitino assistant, Travis Ford a native Kentuckian and former UK point guard for Pitino, or John Calipari.

tubby was forced to resign

buff4ever
03-27-2009, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
Coach Billy Gillispie fired!! OUCH!!

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4021232)

i actually randomly called this a couple of days ago. Kentucky demands basketball success.

MN95
03-27-2009, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by coach
tubby was forced to resign

Not true, he may have seen the writing on the wall and what was coming, but he accepted the Minnesota job, then resigned at Kentucky.

Txbroadcaster
03-28-2009, 04:29 AM
All those saying what when I said UT was now a top 10 basketball school I did not mean they should be ranked every year in top 10, but that they are considered a basketball power now

Since Barnes took over they have made it to the NCAA tourney every year..been to 5 Sweet 16 3 Elite 8 and one final four

whoever said UT was not down when Barnes took over needs to look again

No they were not RECORD wise down..but the Luke Axtell grade scandal left a pretty deep mark( and Penders last year they did blow on the court as well) and alot of people thought it would take UT 2-3 years before they made it back to the tourney. and he had them not only in it, but winning the Big 12 regular season

in alot of ways Barnes has become Mack Brown..when he wins people say well yea he should with that talent...when he loses, then it is all the coaches fault.

zebrablue2
03-28-2009, 07:40 AM
He is not getting the 6 million..he NEVER signed the actual contract

saw this in the houston paper this morning. how smart was that? was making 2 mill. per season. guess he can survive on that a couple of yrs. until he lands another gig..

Maroon87
03-28-2009, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by buff4ever
Kentucky demands basketball success.

To be more precise, they demand basketball perfection. If you're not getting UK at least to the Sweet 16 every year, then you're not cutting it.

cshscougar08
03-28-2009, 11:20 AM
To be more precise, they demand basketball perfection. If you're not getting UK at least to the Sweet 16 every year, then you're not cutting it.

Agreed. There are unreal expectations there at Kentucky. And in terms of their history, it's not unwarranted. But yeah all the experts are saying Calipari, Barnes, and Ford, who played at Kentucky in the early 90's. It will be an interesting process and I really think we'll be surprised by who gets hired. I don't think it will be one of those three guys.

Reds fan
03-28-2009, 02:37 PM
Clip of the press after BG.... looks like a full court press!:D

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Billy-Gillispie-physically-chased-by-obnoxious-T;_ylt=AkmqtH9eVqFwDLOTZL2Dsy3evbYF?urn=ncaab,1511 33

coach
03-28-2009, 03:12 PM
All those saying what when I said UT was now a top 10 basketball school I did not mean they should be ranked every year in top 10, but that they are considered a basketball power now

Since Barnes took over they have made it to the NCAA tourney every year..been to 5 Sweet 16 3 Elite 8 and one final four

whoever said UT was not down when Barnes took over needs to look again

No they were not RECORD wise down..but the Luke Axtell grade scandal left a pretty deep mark( and Penders last year they did blow on the court as well) and alot of people thought it would take UT 2-3 years before they made it back to the tourney. and he had them not only in it, but winning the Big 12 regular season

in alot of ways Barnes has become Mack Brown..when he wins people say well yea he should with that talent...when he loses, then it is all the coaches fault.

i can name 10 programs better than texas

Maroon87
03-28-2009, 03:17 PM

:rolleyes:

WylieBulldog92
03-28-2009, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Reds fan
Clip of the press after BG.... looks like a full court press!:D

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Billy-Gillispie-physically-chased-by-obnoxious-T;_ylt=AkmqtH9eVqFwDLOTZL2Dsy3evbYF?urn=ncaab,1511 33
What a bunch of DBs, leave the guy alone he just got fired.

WylieBulldog92
03-28-2009, 06:53 PM
I'll do it for you
Duke
Florida
North Carolina
Michigan State
Memphis
Kansas
Louisville
Connecticut
Syracuse
UCLA

Phil C
03-28-2009, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by WylieBulldog92
I'll do it for you
Duke
Florida
North Carolina
Michigan State
Memphis
Kansas
Louisville
Connecticut
Syracuse
UCLA

Wylie also Oklahoma has been doing better lately also.

WylieBulldog92
03-28-2009, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Wylie also Oklahoma has been doing better lately also.
He said ten though
I coulda kept going though :(

rancher
03-28-2009, 08:45 PM
He got what he deserved for his greed. Had he been smart, he would have stayed at A&M and still put together a great program. But NO, GREED and EGO spoke to him. I hope he learned the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.

Maroon87
03-28-2009, 09:00 PM

Does that mean that Texas isn't a top notch program?

SHSBulldog00
03-28-2009, 09:11 PM
The latest according to a Kentucky sight shows this list.

John Calipari Memphis
Tom Izzo Michigan St.
Rick Barnes Texas
Travis Ford Oklahoma State
Mike Anderson Missouri
Sean Miller Xavier

SHSBulldog00
03-28-2009, 09:19 PM
Sorry............... it's site

Emerson1
03-28-2009, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by SHSBulldog00
Sorry............... it's site
http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/images/edit.gif

eagles_victory
03-28-2009, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by rancher
He got what he deserved for his greed. Had he been smart, he would have stayed at A&M and still put together a great program. But NO, GREED and EGO spoke to him. I hope he learned the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence. He moved up to a better job how is that being greedy? Id say 9 out of 10 guys would leave a job at A&M for Kentucky.

WylieBulldog92
03-28-2009, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
He moved up to a better job how is that being greedy? Id say 9 out of 10 guys would leave a job at A&M for Kentucky.
As an A&M fan I have to agree with this too, sure you could make it into one, but if the tradition is already in place at another school and you get paid multiple times the amount you're getting paid at A&M you would be a fool not to leave unless there was you believed something was really there.

Maroon87
03-28-2009, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by SHSBulldog00
The latest according to a Kentucky sight shows this list.

John Calipari Memphis
Tom Izzo Michigan St.
Rick Barnes Texas
Travis Ford Oklahoma State
Mike Anderson Missouri
Sean Miller Xavier

You can probably throw John Pelphrey from Arkansas in there too.

SHSBulldog00
03-28-2009, 10:43 PM
I think UK's best chance on this list is with Sean Miller of Xavier. Would love to see them grab Calipari or Izzo though.

coach
03-28-2009, 11:57 PM
Does that mean that Texas isn't a top notch program?

i never said that...somebody just said they are a top ten program and they arent...but i would label them as a top notch

rockdale80
03-29-2009, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by WylieBulldog92
I'll do it for you
Duke
Florida
North Carolina
Michigan State
Memphis
Kansas
Louisville
Connecticut
Syracuse
UCLA

Nice to offer an opinion....

Below is based on wins:

Rank College Wins Losses Winning percent
1 Kentucky 1966 621 .760
2 North Carolina 1950 699 .736
3 Kansas 1943 785 .712
4 Duke 1846 808 .696
5 Syracuse 1725 796 .684
6 Temple 1689 948 .641
7 St. John's 1670 850 .663
8 Pennsylvania 1647 931 .639
9 UCLA 1646 717 .697
10 Indiana 1635 884 .649
11 Notre Dame 1630 893 .646
12 Utah 1613 848 .655
13 Illinois 1585 843 .653
14 Western Kentucky 1577 771 .672
15 Oregon State 1576 1162 .576
16 Washington 1564 1038 .601
17 Texas 1563 933 .626
18 Louisville 1556 825 .654
19 Brigham Young 1553 986 .612
20 Arizona 1547 844 .647
21 Princeton 1539 972 .613
22 Purdue 1538 917 .626
23 Cincinnati 1535 901 .630
24 West Virginia 1527 960 .614
25 North Carolina State 1518 910 .625

griff
03-29-2009, 08:10 AM
So much of Gillespie's firing was about personality. Kentucky wanted someone to "wow" the alumni, fans, and financial backers with charisma. (The AD said so in his own words.) Billy G is not that. He is all business. If the personality angle was not part of Kentucky's expectations, I think the coach would've been given at least one more year. This makes their AD and admin look foolish. They were in a hurry to hire someone who would make a big splash with the school...so much of a hurry that they never presented Billy G with an official contract. He only signed a "letter of intent" of sorts.

Billy G will land a good job and will either grow the success of an established team or revive a down program. I would love to see him land at the University of Houston. Tom Penders has reached a ceiling at U of H.