PDA

View Full Version : Texas Rangers

eagles_victory
03-26-2009, 09:49 AM
Only a week and a half until they start the season vs the Tribe in Arlington. This could be the start of a long season what do you Ranger fans out there think is in store for the club this season?

BreckTxLonghorn
03-26-2009, 09:52 AM
Hope springs eternal.

Bullaholic
03-26-2009, 10:08 AM
I am certainly not a Rangers expert, but I think their success still depends on their ability to secure a strong bullpen with a core of good starters. They have always been plagued by the unwillingness or inability of Tom Hicks to seek and pay for top pitchers. It is still said that many top pitchers do not like to pitch at the Ball Park, and partially for that reason, are reluctant to sign with the Rangers.

waterboy
03-26-2009, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Hope springs eternal.
Amen to that. I always start the season with high hopes. Maybe this will be the year they finally get back to the playoffs. I think most of the pieces are there.......just hope they can overcome any weaknesses or injuries that seem to pop up every year. "Good" teams find a way to overcome their weaknesses and injuries and win a lot of games they probably shouldn't. "Great" teams not only overcome them with winning, they prey on other teams weaknesses in the process and sprint to division titles. One thing they MUST do this year is get off to a good start, and WIN INSIDE THEIR OWN DIVISION, and NOT limp toward the end of the season!

Txbroadcaster
03-26-2009, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
They have always been plagued by the unwillingness or inability of Tom Hicks to seek and pay for top pitchers. It is still said that many top pitchers do not like to pitch at the Ball Park, and partially for that reason, are reluctant to sign with the Rangers.

the Rangers not getting top pitching has nothing to do with Tom Hicks..he HAS paid big money for pitching..the names Chan Ho Park, Kevin Gross, and Millwood just to name three

it is like u said, it is more with the perception of the park, and the heat in Texas that imo has hurt them more than Hicks spending or not spending

crzyjournalist03
03-26-2009, 10:30 AM
I expect somewhere between 75 (at worst) and 85 (at best) wins from the squad with a real shot at contention next year.

Bullaholic
03-26-2009, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
the Rangers not getting top pitching has nothing to do with Tom Hicks..he HAS paid big money for pitching..the names Chan Ho Park, Kevin Gross, and Millwood just to name three

it is like u said, it is more with the perception of the park, and the heat in Texas that imo has hurt them more than Hicks spending or not spending

Disagreee, TXB. Enough money on the table to overcome park concerns would have brought maybe a Randy Johnson or a Roger Clemens level pitcher. No real "name" pitchers have been in the Rangers dugout since Nolan Ryan.

crzyjournalist03
03-26-2009, 11:04 AM
Disagreee, TXB. Enough money on the table to overcome park concerns would have brought maybe a Randy Johnson or a Roger Clemens level pitcher. No real "name" pitchers have been in the Rangers dugout since Nolan Ryan.

The Rangers offered more to Randy Johnson than Arizona did back in the day.

The Rangers offered Roger Clemens more than the Yankees or Astros did a couple of years ago.

The Rangers nearly signed Barry Zito before the Giants overwhelmed him (that turned out nicely).

The Rangers bid over $30 just for the right to negotiate for Daisuke Matzusaka when it was widely believed that if someone bid $25 million, they'd have him.

The Rangers agreed to terms this January on a two-year deal with Ben Sheets. He failed his physical, and remains unsigned.

Texasfootball2
03-26-2009, 11:08 AM
For the first time in several years I think the Rangers are on the right track. They have built this team from within and have a chance to be really good for several years. Lots of good young players with contracts that will keep them around for four or five years. After listening to Andrew Jones comments on an interview yesterday I can't help but be both excited and truely hopefull that the Rangers can seriously content for a wildcard spot. The team chemistry in the clubhouse is so good that Andrew Jones is willing to stick around and wants to be a part of a team where he knows he may be a bench player and a part time DH, when he could ask for his release go somewhere else at any time. He said " this is the happiest I've ever been on any team, and I truely look forward to coming to the ballpark everyday and being with this group of guys".

I know that the Rangers have gotten our hopes up many times only to crush all our hopes by late May, but this team is not made up of High Priced free agents. It's built from the farm system and these guys have great chemistry together. This team is very much like the Rays of last year. Young and talented.

If there pitching staff can stay healthy and Millwood and Padillo can combine to win 28+ games, the Rangers can make a serious run at a wildcard and at least give us some meaningful games in September.

Bullaholic
03-26-2009, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
The Rangers offered more to Randy Johnson than Arizona did back in the day.

The Rangers offered Roger Clemens more than the Yankees or Astros did a couple of years ago.

The Rangers nearly signed Barry Zito before the Giants overwhelmed him (that turned out nicely).

The Rangers bid over $30 just for the right to negotiate for Daisuke Matzusaka when it was widely believed that if someone bid $25 million, they'd have him.

The Rangers agreed to terms this January on a two-year deal with Ben Sheets. He failed his physical, and remains unsigned.

Again---If Hicks was willing to make the $250mil deal for A-Rod, why would he be reluctant to offer the necessary money to secure a name pitching staff? Money overcomes all obstacles---ask George Steinbrenner.

Txbroadcaster
03-26-2009, 11:35 AM
Again---If Hicks was willing to make the $250mil deal for A-Rod, why would he be reluctant to offer the necessary money to secure a name pitching staff? Money overcomes all obstacles---ask George Steinbrenner.

well one..the Rangers are not the Yankees in term of tradition and name

and two after the Chan Ho AND AROD big money spends, Hicks decided( CORRECTLY) that he would offer market prices but would not overspend

All the people who say Hicks does not spend seem to forget when he bought the team he did spend..and spend...and spend, and all it got him was a bad team full of veterans who were over the hill

Since then the biggest problem I have had with Hicks was not his lack of spending, but in that he never set the foundation of a true direction for the team.

That has finally happened, and now the fruit is growing on the minor league tree, just have to hope there are more hits than misses

but I bet u anything once the core group gets to the majors u will see Hicks open the wallet again because he has shown a willingness to resign people that WANT to be here

Texasfootball2
03-26-2009, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
For the first time in several years I think the Rangers are on the right track. They have built this team from within and have a chance to be really good for several years. Lots of good young players with contracts that will keep them around for four or five years. After listening to Andrew Jones comments on an interview yesterday I can't help but be both excited and truely hopefull that the Rangers can seriously content for a wildcard spot. The team chemistry in the clubhouse is so good that Andrew Jones is willing to stick around and wants to be a part of a team where he knows he may be a bench player and a part time DH, when he could ask for his release go somewhere else at any time. He said " this is the happiest I've ever been on any team, and I truely look forward to coming to the ballpark everyday and being with this group of guys".

I know that the Rangers have gotten our hopes up many times only to crush all our hopes by late May, but this team is not made up of High Priced free agents. It's built from the farm system and these guys have great chemistry together. This team is very much like the Rays of last year. Young and talented.

If there pitching staff can stay healthy and Millwood and Padillo can combine to win 28+ games, the Rangers can make a serious run at a wildcard and at least give us some meaningful games in September.

I also forgot to add that those who remember the mid 90's when the Rangers had several playoff appearances, they were a mostly made up of home grown products. Pudge, Juan Gon., Rusty Greer just to name a few. This team may be better than those teams where. No, they don't have enough pitching more than likely to keep up with the Angels over the long haul, but who knows who the injury bug is going to bite.

And "IF" the Rangers are in contention at the trade deadline, for the first time in long time they will actually be in a position to seriously help themselves without selling out the farm system.

IMO::D

SintonFan_inAustin
03-26-2009, 12:52 PM
http://www.956sportsforum.com/images/smilies/dance.gif

This is the Year!

Texas Rangers win it all, including the Texas Series :)

or they'll at least win 90 this year, but might not be enough to win division or a wildcard.

waterboy
03-26-2009, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
http://www.956sportsforum.com/images/smilies/dance.gif

This is the Year!

Texas Rangers win it all, including the Texas Series :)

or they'll at least win 90 this year, but might not be enough to win division or a wildcard.
In the American League West, 90 wins probably won't be enough, although it might be enough to win a playoff spot. I would guess about 94, maybe 95 wins or better would assure a division title. Just a guess, though. I would just like to see them beat the teams in their division consistently. If they do that I think they'll be in.

BTW, is that Michael Jackson dancing in your post?:eek: That's funny stuff right there!:D

BILLYFRED0000
03-26-2009, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2

I agree. The farm system is rockin right now. Get some pitchin going and they have a shot.

Trashman
03-26-2009, 09:07 PM
I see the Rangers having a decent run, right up till the All-Star brake and then they.............................................. ........................

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ym8Q9yxUg34/RjaSjRfqVEI/AAAAAAAAAGM/f6t8ihxAOkU/s400/crashburn.jpg

as usual...........................;)

95mustang
03-26-2009, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
I see the Rangers having a decent run, right up till the All-Star brake and then they.............................................. ........................

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ym8Q9yxUg34/RjaSjRfqVEI/AAAAAAAAAGM/f6t8ihxAOkU/s400/crashburn.jpg

as usual...........................;)

I agree with you on that one. They either start out slow until they are so far behind they can't catch up in the end or they come out of the gates strong and the lose it all in the end. I am ready for the season to begin though.

crzyjournalist03
03-27-2009, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by 95mustang
I agree with you on that one. They either start out slow until they are so far behind they can't catch up in the end or they come out of the gates strong and the lose it all in the end. I am ready for the season to begin though.

If they start slow and are more than 5 games below .500 in April, Ron Washington won't last the month.

Keith7
03-27-2009, 11:00 AM
2009 might be a little soon for the Rangers to make a run. I think 2010 is a little more realistic. But young or not, the Rangers will be the best baseball team in Texas again.