PDA

View Full Version : Baylor hoops

Maroon87
03-25-2009, 02:39 PM
The men's team reached the NIT semis, meaning they will play in MSG for the first time since 1950. Pretty cool...:cool:

sahen
03-25-2009, 03:08 PM
i dont think we have ever played in the garden...back in the late 40s when we were good those were NCAA tourneys and im not sure where we played but i dont think it was in NYC....if the Bears can win the NIT then they will have tied their highest win total in a single year (25)....also the trio of seniors playing for Baylor (Jerrels, Dugat, and Rogers) is the winningest group of seniors in baylor history and they have done it with out a nonconference season their freshman year...

it is unfortunate that these guys "figured it out" so late in the year and aren't playing in the NCAA tourney again but considering how much in the toliet our season went i'll take this late run to save the season...its been fun to watch!

STAggie
03-25-2009, 03:33 PM
Does anyone think Scott Drew is back on the radar for a lot of the openings at more tradition rich basketball schools? I know alot of my fellow Aggies are afraid if he leaves for a bigger job and Gillespie is fired at Kentucky, Gillespie may end up at Baylor.

BreckTxLonghorn
03-25-2009, 03:44 PM
Good luck to the Bears! Very fun team to watch play.

sahen
03-25-2009, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by STAggie
Does anyone think Scott Drew is back on the radar for a lot of the openings at more tradition rich basketball schools? I know alot of my fellow Aggies are afraid if he leaves for a bigger job and Gillespie is fired at Kentucky, Gillespie may end up at Baylor.

i dont think Drew is leaving Baylor...u dont take over Baylor at the point he did and plan to leave anytime soon, plus the Drews have a history of staying loyal....of all the coaches at Baylor, Drew gives me the feeling that he is there as long as we let him/pay him well...his pay is where it should be and except for a small number of idiots 99% of the baylor family wants him there....

that said, i think he'd be on the radar for the big time jobs if he has a sucessful run next year which i believe he will...so your theory may be put to the test...for now i think the big boys stay away one more year and wait and see what he does next year to make sure this postseason run isnt a fluke...

STAggie
03-25-2009, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by sahen
i dont think Drew is leaving Baylor...u dont take over Baylor at the point he did and plan to leave anytime soon, plus the Drews have a history of staying loyal....of all the coaches at Baylor, Drew gives me the feeling that he is there as long as we let him/pay him well...his pay is where it should be and except for a small number of idiots 99% of the baylor family wants him there....

that said, i think he'd be on the radar for the big time jobs if he has a sucessful run next year which i believe he will...so your theory may be put to the test...for now i think the big boys stay away one more year and wait and see what he does next year to make sure this postseason run isnt a fluke...

Thats what we thought about BCG and he left like a thief in the night. LOL. Oh well program is better off without him. If Drew can continue to recruit and improve his actual coaching ability he will be at a bigger school in the near future.

sahen
03-25-2009, 06:37 PM
Thats what we thought about BCG and he left like a thief in the night. LOL. Oh well program is better off without him. If Drew can continue to recruit and improve his actual coaching ability he will be at a bigger school in the near future.

the situation Gillepsie walked into at A&M while bad (basketball tradition wise) was nothing like the situation Drew walked into at Baylor...you dont take over a program with the scandel we had and take the first opportunity to jump to a big program...im not naive enough to say he wont leave but if you listen to Drew and follow his history and his family history all indications are that the man is at Baylor to stay as long as we will have him....whether he bucks the trend or not i dunno but there is some appeal to some people for being in a small christian school in a power conference, and Drew appears to be cut from this mold...if he builds baylor up then he has really done something and will be revered forever at Baylor and if he does a good enough job he will be remembered in the basketball world (think coach K at duke), if he goes and maintains or rebuilds a kentucky/north carolina then he is just one in the line of many....i think Drew is going for the former, but i have been wrong before we will see....

Maroon87
03-25-2009, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by sahen
i dont think we have ever played in the garden...

I thought I heard the announcers on the game vs Auburn say that they had played at MSG during the 1950 Final four, but I could be wrong...:thinking:

Maybe I'm combining two different facts.

kepdawg
03-25-2009, 08:28 PM
The 1950 Final Four was played at the Garden (although it was played in a different building that has since been torn down than the current MSG).

eagles_victory
03-25-2009, 08:57 PM
Does anyone think Scott Drew is back on the radar for a lot of the openings at more tradition rich basketball schools? I know alot of my fellow Aggies are afraid if he leaves for a bigger job and Gillespie is fired at Kentucky, Gillespie may end up at Baylor. Thing about this is you have to keep in mind no matter what happens in the NIT Baylor under achieved this year. THis was a team who returned the house off of an NCAA tournament team and was picked 3rd in the Big 12 and finished I think 5-11 in conference play I dont think the nice run in the Big 12 tourney and NIT should overshadow how much they struggled through most of the season.

Txbroadcaster
03-26-2009, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Thing about this is you have to keep in mind no matter what happens in the NIT Baylor under achieved this year. THis was a team who returned the house off of an NCAA tournament team and was picked 3rd in the Big 12 and finished I think 5-11 in conference play I dont think the nice run in the Big 12 tourney and NIT should overshadow how much they struggled through most of the season.

I agree 100%..The nice Big 12 and NIT run has turned this into a feel good season, but honestly Baylor was supposed to be playing in the NCAA tourney and supposed to be taking a step forward as a basketball school.

The two late tourney runs this year has gave them a SMALL step forward, but that step is not as big as most people thought it would be this year

sahen
03-26-2009, 09:28 AM
sometimes you have to take a step back before you take a step forward...Drew is a young coach and it appears he has learned a lot this year as well...i know women's bball is a totally different animal but the lady bears went to 2 ncaa's then to the finals of the wnit before mulkey started her current run of 5 or 6 in a row w/ a ton of sweet 16s in there as well and a title...so who knows, but i feel a ton better about our season now than i did 2 weeks ago...

plus u have to remember before last year baylor had been to the ncaa tournament once in 20 years...going to a post season tournament in back to back years hadn't been accomplished since 1949 and 1950...in the grand scheme of things the season didn't work out as planned but baylor men's basketball as a whole has taken a step forward....heck just winning an NIT game (first postseason win in almost 60 years) was a step forward....

and yes Maroon87 you were right, as pointed out later in the thread we had played in garden before...i must have been the one guilty of mishearing information