PDA

View Full Version : no more wedge on kickoffs!!!!

coach
03-24-2009, 02:09 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4012307

Emerson1
03-24-2009, 02:13 PM
So we have college football which is becoming almost pointless to watch because of the BCS

now we have NFL which we be pointless to watch because you will get flagged for playing football

Yay for HS!

pirate4state
03-24-2009, 02:22 PM
:doh: what in the holy hell

crzyjournalist03
03-24-2009, 02:38 PM
I can see it now:

"Personal foul, wedging, number 35 of the return team"

"Just for our viewers at home, he said 'wedging' not 'wedgieing'."

westcoast54
03-24-2009, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I can see it now:

"Personal foul, wedging, number 35 of the return team"

"Just for our viewers at home, he said 'wedging' not 'wedgieing'."

So tell me....what would the signal be for, "wedging?" :thinking:

BEAST
03-24-2009, 03:13 PM
Can somebody please tell me how you are supposed to deliver a hit that does not use either the helmet, shoulder, or forearm? I suppose you could belly bump the guy and say hes down by contact, or maybe 2 touch. Seriously, this is getting absurd.

BEAST

venomous tat2
03-24-2009, 03:20 PM
Before you know it they'll be placing the ball on the 25 after td's and field goals , that ought to help with safety lol . No need for punt and kick returners . But seriously where do they get their ideas football is physical they want to make it soft , hope the UIL
don't read that LOL

venomous tat2
03-24-2009, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by westcoast54
So tell me....what would the signal be for, "wedging?" :thinking:

The ref will grab the umpire by the back of his pants and pul it up
making a weggie lol,lol

Maroon87
03-24-2009, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
:doh: what in the holy hell

This is kinda like a sun delay...LMAO

SintonFan_inAustin
03-24-2009, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
This is kinda like a sun delay...LMAO :D

first time i witness a sun delay, but heard it happens there at Carroll HS field during tournaments because of the sunset.

pirate4state
03-24-2009, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
This is kinda like a sun delay...LMAO

Hell, they may as well just start playing flag football!

TexMike
03-25-2009, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by BEAST
Can somebody please tell me how you are supposed to deliver a hit that does not use either the helmet, shoulder, or forearm? I suppose you could belly bump the guy and say hes down by contact, or maybe 2 touch. Seriously, this is getting absurd.

BEAST

The point of the change is that you should not use those body parts (although it has been illegal for some time to use the helemt to deliver a blow). The point is that you cannot use those body parts against the opponent's HEAD. And that is a great change for the NFL. It is already like that in NCAA and Texas HS football

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-25-2009, 08:54 AM
Apparently none of you have ever been hit by a wedge before.... The hardest I've ever been hit in my football career was by Cody Wallace and Yemi Babalola on a wedge a few seasons ago. Trust me, this isn't a bad thing...guys can get hurt pretty bad.

BreckTxLonghorn
03-25-2009, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Apparently none of you have ever been hit by a wedge before.... The hardest I've ever been hit in my football career was by Cody Wallace and Yemi Babalola on a wedge a few seasons ago. Trust me, this isn't a bad thing...guys can get hurt pretty bad.

Good point. With the wedge, comes wedgeBUSTERS, who main goal is to demolish the wedge, personal health be damned. It can be fun to watch, but it can also be extremely scary/dangerous to be on the wrong end of a bust.

Electus Unus
03-25-2009, 09:44 AM
Good I am glad they got rid of this! I am so sick and tired of 100 yard kickoff returns! They make the game so boring!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-25-2009, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Good point. With the wedge, comes wedgeBUSTERS, who main goal is to demolish the wedge, personal health be damned. It can be fun to watch, but it can also be extremely scary/dangerous to be on the wrong end of a bust.

Yeah, that was me. We also get busted ourselves.

BreckTxLonghorn
03-25-2009, 12:56 PM
Yeah, that was me. We also get busted ourselves.

Me too. Honestly, it was extremely fun, but there was a time or two where finding the defensive huddle right after was a little difficult.

michaelp23
03-25-2009, 02:05 PM

Come on guys!!! This is football. If hitting or being hit is too much for people, they should go play golf or something! I managed to play football for ten years, giving and taking plenty of hits. It's part of the game!!:doh: :doh:

BreckTxLonghorn
03-25-2009, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by michaelp23
Come on guys!!! This is football. If hitting or being hit is too much for people, they should go play golf or something! I managed to play football for ten years, giving and taking plenty of hits. It's part of the game!!:doh: :doh:

I played for 8, and never complained. I could've played for 4 more, 8 more, 10 more, and probably would never complain. If this issue was never brought up, I wouldn't bring it up and just move on. I just don't think it is as horrible of a rule than what the initial reaction is.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-25-2009, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by michaelp23

I'm well aware it's part of the game, and I'm still playing it on a higher level than most people get to reach and I'm still busting the wedge and I'm still giving and taking the hits. I'm well aware of what is at stake, but people sitting back don't realize how big and strong and fast professional football players really are because they've never even came close to playing against that level of talent. I'm not opposed to this rule at all just based on my own experiences but I'm never said that I campaigned to have it; just offered some understanding as to why I feel this way.

bandera7
03-25-2009, 05:53 PM
I agree with some of the rule changes. I dont want the NFL to become a sport in which people watch to see who gets killed. Football isnt the coliseum. It is a sport, not a death match. It should stay that way. Unfortunately, due to substances and other such things, NFL players are becoming huge and fast and unhuman almost.