PDA

View Full Version : Poteet fires coach; students walk out

TexasHSFootball
03-24-2009, 12:50 PM
Poteet fires coach; students walk out (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/high_school_football/Poteet_board_sends_football_coach_packing.html)

Phil C
03-24-2009, 12:57 PM
I think the Poteet voters need to elect members that will vote how they want and answer questions why they do a certain thing. This is almost like: "You Win - Your're fired."

crzyjournalist03
03-24-2009, 01:07 PM
My sophomore year of high school, the small school I attended did the same thing when our head football coach and head basketball coach were fired on the same day.

We soon learned that walking out of class wasn't going to get us anywhere. We had a school-wide assembly that afternoon where the administrators told us to get over it and move on.

ILS1
03-24-2009, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I think the Poteet voters need to elect members that will vote how they want and answer questions why they do a certain thing. This is almost like: "You Win - Your're fired."

Guess what Poteet? After this fiasco, no coach in is right mind would want this job now!!! I feel sorry for the kids and the community that backed him.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Sweetwater Red
03-24-2009, 01:40 PM
You gotta wonder if there is more to this story.:thinking:

pirate4state
03-24-2009, 01:45 PM
wow good luck finding another coach!

Phantom Stang
03-24-2009, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
I was thinking the same thing. But if the coach had done something really bad, why would he have the support of the Principal and interim Superintendent?

Keith7
03-24-2009, 01:55 PM
What do those kids think this is? an episode of "friday night lights" ? Get those little brats back to class

maroonpirate04
03-24-2009, 01:59 PM
This is pretty sad, if this keeps up and don't find a solution to this problem, pretty soon the district is gonna have a bad rep, and possibly might be forced to shut down the football program. Might even see a drop in the enrollment numbers:thinking:

coach
03-24-2009, 02:06 PM
i absolutely love this....these kids stood up for a family member...it showed they care and loved the man....i dont care if it was pointless and well not get him back...if i were looking for a job i would want to apply at a school with that much love for their coaches

Phil C
03-24-2009, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
What do those kids think this is? an episode of "friday night lights" ? Get those little brats back to class

Kids have rights to. This action effects their future and current status in school. So

SHOW SOME COMPASSION!

maroonpirate04
03-24-2009, 02:22 PM
Every town in Texas has a little Friday Night Lights episode:D

ratherbfishin
03-24-2009, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by coach
i absolutely love this....these kids stood up for a family member...it showed they care and loved the man....i dont care if it was pointless and well not get him back...if i were looking for a job i would want to apply at a school with that much love for their coaches

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

eagles_victory
03-24-2009, 02:36 PM
One of the people who voted against him said he played favorites on the football team which included her son. Maybe a little small town politics of he played the best players not the right players.

TexasHSFootball
03-24-2009, 03:06 PM
this from one Poteet student in the comments:

I was one of the students who walked out this morning. I didnt have second thoughts at all. It was pretty upsetting that (MIKE) couldnt even look at us students when we were talking to him. How professional is that?! All of the NOW, (5) school board members had no answers for us! They are all coward/sneakey little rats. They need out! And Coronado too! Hes a liar. POTEET4PALMER!

bigwood33
03-24-2009, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
There is. The next AD/HFC at Poteet is likely already on staff and related to at least 3 school board members. The whole thing stinks to high heaven but he and the rest of his family must think that this "golden boy" is ready. I just wonder why he wasn't ready last year.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-24-2009, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
One of the people who voted against him said he played favorites on the football team which included her son. Maybe a little small town politics of he played the best players not the right players.

My thoughts and sentiments exactly.

PutMeInCoach
03-24-2009, 03:31 PM
Palmer turned that program around. I have some buddies down there and there was a big community rally for him...obviously the school board members didn't get the message. Poteet has always done some weird things, this just adds to their list.

Lombardi
03-24-2009, 04:14 PM
I thought Gill turned that program around....

PutMeInCoach
03-24-2009, 04:22 PM
http://www.pleasantonexpress.com/display.asp?story_id=3680&story_type=sports

WylieBulldog92
03-24-2009, 04:26 PM
I looked reading about the green blood comment, but then understood it was about red blood too. As 3 or 4 members who were against the coach were related to the probably next AD and HC (if they aren't booted).

bigwood33
03-24-2009, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Lombardi
I thought Gill turned that program around....
He did. Made the playoffs for the 1st time since the 1950's and did it 3 out of 4 years. They ran him off too.

BOCEPHUS
03-24-2009, 08:13 PM
I SPENT 30 MINUTES IN POTEET THIS SUMMER, MET THIS OLE BOY.........HERE'IN IS WHAT I THANK UH'BOUT IT.

GOD IS GREAT, BEER IS GOOD, AND PEOPLE ARE STUPID.

AND THEY DID HIM A FAVOR, HE TOO GOOD FER THE IDGIT BOARD MEEMBERS OF POTEET.

PLUS THEY GOT A CRAZY MIDDLE SYSTEM(PRINCIPAL) THAT WOULD GIVE NOBODY A CHANCE TO WIN AND BUILD A PROGRAM.
HE MADE PLAYOFFS THERE, H3LL HE WIN A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP SOMEWHERE ELSE.

MY ADVICE TO PALMER IS " RUN WHILE YOU CAN, THEY MAY CHNGE THEIR MIND AND WANT YOU TO STAY

Additup
03-24-2009, 10:28 PM
Most HS kids will walk out if given a chance to...Have them show up all day Saturday and you'll find out which really support the coach and which just want a "get out of school for a day" reason.

This is just meant as a reality check for "walkouts mean something"...I'm not directly addressing THIS coach or THIS school.

ol country boy
03-24-2009, 10:44 PM
Coach Palmer dust your self off and get the hell out before they change their mind.

Your a good coach and they don't deserve you.

RiverRat19
03-24-2009, 10:54 PM
5 coaches in 5 years is a bad deal... Usually means there's a problem with the place, not the coaches... or so I have been told.

I bet the teams in Poteet's district are glad the board did what they did...

Correct me if I'm wrong, those who know their stuff, but doesn't the district Superintendent have the final say on who gets hired and fired? I thought the board could only hire and fire the Supt?... I could be wrong about that...

WylieBulldog92
03-24-2009, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
True, but if the supt goes against the board, guess who the next to get fired will be?
:(

ASUFrisbeeStud
03-24-2009, 11:10 PM
Most of the players in Sweetwater stood up when Coach Dowell was reassigned, even went to the school board meetings and didn't do us any good. However I know he really did appriciate that we did.