PDA

View Full Version : UIL vs TASO

CenTexSports
03-24-2009, 09:01 AM
Anybody been paying attention to the UIL/TASO tussle? If so, what are your thoughts.

What do you think about UIL possibly taking over the officiating in some or all sports.

Red&White_9x5
03-24-2009, 09:27 AM
I understand the points made by both sides, but if the UIL takes over officiating in one sport, I feel they need to do it in all sports. I also feel that we will see a bigger drop in the number of officials if taken over by the UIL

GreenMonster
03-24-2009, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Red&White_9x5
I understand the points made by both sides, but if the UIL takes over officiating in one sport, I feel they need to do it in all sports. I also feel that we will see a bigger drop in the number of officials if taken over by the UIL No doubt. I say pay 'em, but nobody asked me. The baseball and softball officials incur more out of pocket expense than any other sport's officials, but they receive the lowest pay because there is often times no gate for the officials to get a piece of like there is for the other sports. UIL is also against a flat fee pay schedule for these guys, but that only makes sense from my standpoint. I want to know what my officials are going to cost me up front so I can budget for it. I also do not want my chapter's scheduler to feel obligated to send the 2 closest officials to my game because he's worried about upsetting me or my AD over mileage fees. My players deserve quality officials when we visit those schools on the outer fringes of my chapter's area as well, and mileage fees should not enter into that equation. Granted, the flat fee pay scale may cause schools that are closer to the center of the chapter to pay a little bit more for officials than what the fee plus mileage plan calls for, but in my opinion that just helps to insure that I will have quality officials while on the road. It's a give and take. West Texas schools are the one's that are really feeling the blow of this becasue the mileage fees out there are rediculous. It doesn't hurt the city schools or the I-35 corridor schools near as much.