PDA

View Full Version : 1933 Movie Wild Boys of the Road coming to TCM!

Phil C
03-21-2009, 10:54 AM
It will be shown on Monday, March 23, 2009 at 7 P.M. It will also be repeated again on TCM on June 17, 2009 at 3:45 A.M. if you miss it. The time in June may be inconvenient so you may want to set those recorders. The movie is not long and last just over an hour. It would be good for everyone to see it and even discussed in high school. It was made while we were in the Great Depression of the 1930s which was very brutal.
Although modern-day high school students might be moved to laugh at the acating styles in this minor classic (it was made in 1933), it would be a good history lesson for them if properly prepared and presented by a teacher, and could also serve as a cautionary tale of the results of economic colapse.

I hope in view of recent events that times don't come to this but it is unfortunately a possibility and this movie should be seen.

Phil C
03-21-2009, 05:04 PM
Basically the plot is about two young teenage boys whose parents lose their jobs because of the great depression and they have to go out on their own and they travel by train illegally as many did during those years with plans to find work and send money to help their families.

Phil C
03-24-2009, 09:39 AM
If you missed it you missed a good one. Magnificient movie. I know it was made with 1930 style but it is good. Be sure to catch the June showing if you missed it. This is one everyone should see. Incredible as it seems these type of events did happen.

Farmersfan
03-24-2009, 01:50 PM
Apparently nobody cares! My wife watches a lot of black and white movies on TMC, Hallmark, and A&E. Mostly she likes Doris Day and Rock Hutson stuff but she also watches a lot of shows like Cheaper by the dozen and the Long Trailer(?) with Lucy & Ricky...... I have never been fond of B&W's or even shows filmed before the sixties. I think most actors and actresses in those days couldn't act at all. The really good ones stood out like sore thumbs because the rest were so terrible. I use to watch Tarzan as a kid and love it. Now I watch Johnny Weissmuller and laugh at his terrible acting. But I bet people enjoyed those movies a heck of a lot more than we enjoy ours these days.

Phil C
03-28-2009, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
Apparently nobody cares! My wife watches a lot of black and white movies on TMC, Hallmark, and A&E. Mostly she likes Doris Day and Rock Hutson stuff but she also watches a lot of shows like Cheaper by the dozen and the Long Trailer(?) with Lucy & Ricky...... I have never been fond of B&W's or even shows filmed before the sixties. I think most actors and actresses in those days couldn't act at all. The really good ones stood out like sore thumbs because the rest were so terrible. I use to watch Tarzan as a kid and love it. Now I watch Johnny Weissmuller and laugh at his terrible acting. But I bet people enjoyed those movies a heck of a lot more than we enjoy ours these days.

I understand Farmersfan. Not everyone likes old movies or silent movies for that matter. Some prefer to just watch current movies. With me that is cool. I like current movies also. I post these for that one person who happens to be reading on and maybe not even posting that might be interesting. After all this web site is for everyone.
I'm partial to peanut patties when I eat. But my son who loves to fish won't use fishing patties when he fishes because for some reason the fish prefer worms which I have no desire to eat. What I mean is that not everyone likes the same thing.