PDA

View Full Version : Wylie vs Bwood

WHS02
03-20-2009, 08:05 PM
Congrats to b-wood on a well played game by both sides. B-wood came away with the 5-3 win though. That pitcher is an amazing kid. Congrats to him and good luck on his future as an ACE pitcher. Again congrats to Bwood on a very good baseball game.

Snyder_TigerFan
03-20-2009, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by WHS02
Congrats to b-wood on a well played game by both sides. B-wood came away with the 5-3 win though. That pitcher is an amazing kid. Congrats to him and good luck on his future as an ACE pitcher. Again congrats to Bwood on a very good baseball game.

Did Miller pitch for Bwood? Brownwood has been struggling this season, haven't they?

WHS02
03-20-2009, 08:55 PM
yea it was shelby miller. they must have not been pitching him very much. I had seen they lost to cooper 14-7 or something like that. I can assure you that he didn't pitch that game. No way he could give up 14 runs. He is definitley and ace though. I must say if he wasn't pitching I could defintiley see them losing.

TinyTim
03-21-2009, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
Did Miller pitch for Bwood? Brownwood has been struggling this season, haven't they?

Miller pitched a great game but he did give up 6 hits.
Strong pitched a great game and gave up 7 hits.

Wylie fought hard and proved that they can hit a 97 mph fastball. Miller struggled with the offspeed stuff and only twice in the game threw a curve for a strike. Depended on the heat for his out pitch and that could eventually be trouble for him.

The difference in the game was 3 runs scored by Brownwood on 2 errors made by Wylie.

Great game to watch. Miller has a good future if he can develop an off speed pitch.

BwdLion_80
03-21-2009, 07:23 AM
According to the Brownwood paper, Shelby had only pitched a total of 8 innings in the 12 games played coming into district play. Does not make much sense to me! I know that, against Cooper, the Lions pitched 5 or 6 different pitchers and Shelby did not throw at all.

BEAST
03-21-2009, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by TinyTim
Miller pitched a great game but he did give up 6 hits.
Strong pitched a great game and gave up 7 hits.

Wylie fought hard and proved that they can hit a 97 mph fastball. Miller struggled with the offspeed stuff and only twice in the game threw a curve for a strike. Depended on the heat for his out pitch and that could eventually be trouble for him.

The difference in the game was 3 runs scored by Brownwood on 2 errors made by Wylie.

Great game to watch. Miller has a good future if he can develop an off speed pitch.

Miller has very good offspeed stuff. It just must have been off last night. Trust me, by the time the second round of district play gets here, he will have all of them hummin. He was clocked last night at 98 twice and his very last pitch of the game was clocked at 93. Pretty good stamina.

As for Brownwoods record, we played the first several games without several kids due to the basketball playoffs. They are just now getting into the swing of things. They did not get to practice at all until basketball was over.

BEAST

ccmom
03-21-2009, 10:44 AM
I'm glad I got a chance to see Miller pitch in person. I was also VERY proud of our boys at the plate. As Tim said, we were able to get some hits, but unfortunately leaving running stranded and errors were costly, as those things always are. It was also good to see a good crowd out to watch the first district game. Congrats Brownwood! I look forward to the next meeting.:)

STANG RED
03-21-2009, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by BwdLion_80
According to the Brownwood paper, Shelby had only pitched a total of 8 innings in the 12 games played coming into district play. Does not make much sense to me! I know that, against Cooper, the Lions pitched 5 or 6 different pitchers and Shelby did not throw at all.

Makes perfect sense to me. It's a long season, and district is all that matters until the playoffs. Why wear out your aces arm in meaningless games? You'll need every inning you can get out of him from here on out. Let the other guys get the needed work when they can. I think its a smart move by the coach. Also, was he one of the kids playing basketball? That might explain some of it as well.

BwdLion_80
03-21-2009, 05:24 PM
I understand about needing to save his arm for district, but just 8 innings in 12 games, that is absurd. Shelby said in the ARN, "My arm isn't completely in shape yet, but it's only getting better." I would think that between the day baseball started, Jan. 25, and now, and after playing 12 games, that he would have thrown enough to have his arm in shape. I personally don't think that 8 innings is enough.

Lion
03-21-2009, 05:34 PM
Shelby threw in every scrimmage that Brownwood had. He has only thrown in 2 regular season games, yesterday being 3. His arm is in shape but just not ready to throw the way he does for 7 innings, yet. In the begining of the year a team has to find out what kind of players it has and who can pitch. He has been building up gradually and is on a throwing program. He will be just fine and so will the Brownwood Lions.

TinyTim
03-22-2009, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Lion
Shelby threw in every scrimmage that Brownwood had. He has only thrown in 2 regular season games, yesterday being 3. His arm is in shape but just not ready to throw the way he does for 7 innings, yet. In the begining of the year a team has to find out what kind of players it has and who can pitch. He has been building up gradually and is on a throwing program. He will be just fine and so will the Brownwood Lions.

If Miller is on such a good throwing program then the coach then his arm should be in shape by now. He threw over 100 pitches in that game and struggled with control. This kid has potential to make a living in baseball and an injury would be devestating. If he is already throwing that many pitches...... he better be in shape.

The real question is ....What are the Lions gonna do against Breckenridge on Tuesday? Miller is sure as heck not gonna be available and no one else seems to be able to pitch. Breckenridge has a darn good baseball team. Good Luck

;) ;) ;)

Daddy D 11
03-22-2009, 09:44 AM
You also have to realize guys, he's going to be a first round draft pick. So if there's no reason to throw him, than they aren't going to throw him. Whether or not Brownwood has a good season or not is definitely not number one on his list of priorities right now. Not injuring himself has to be a number one priority right now. Second to that would be sticking to some sort of regimented workout that's going to only build his strength and stamina up, not wear him down. He's already put himself on the map, so now.. there's no reason to ruin that.

TinyTim
03-22-2009, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
You also have to realize guys, he's going to be a first round draft pick. So if there's no reason to throw him, than they aren't going to throw him. Whether or not Brownwood has a good season or not is definitely not number one on his list of priorities right now. Not injuring himself has to be a number one priority right now. Second to that would be sticking to some sort of regimented workout that's going to only build his strength and stamina up, not wear him down. He's already put himself on the map, so now.. there's no reason to ruin that.

Good point, however, he is still just a kid. Baseball is a man's sport and he is not even close to being ready. I disagree with you about about Brownwood having a good season or not. Every high school kid wants their team to win and those that are self centered-premadonas always get beat. Miller wants his team to win like every other school. If he didn't he probably wouldn't have wanted to stay in the game last week cuz he threw way over his limit. the coach went to the mound 3 or 4 times in that game and each time Miller wanted to stay. Why? Cuz if he knew that if he didn't continue, they were done. So, I do think he is a team player and that he cares whether his team has a good season.

they just need to flip for a 1 game series in the playoffs.

Lion
03-22-2009, 12:55 PM
Good point, however, he is still just a kid. Baseball is a man's sport and he is not even close to being ready. I disagree with you about about Brownwood having a good season or not. Every high school kid wants their team to win and those that are self centered-premadonas always get beat. Miller wants his team to win like every other school. If he didn't he probably wouldn't have wanted to stay in the game last week cuz he threw way over his limit. the coach went to the mound 3 or 4 times in that game and each time Miller wanted to stay. Why? Cuz if he knew that if he didn't continue, they were done. So, I do think he is a team player and that he cares whether his team has a good season.

they just need to flip for a 1 game series in the playoffs.

Stuggled with control??? only 2 walks.. You cant throw every pitch right down the middle and when you throw in the 90s and go with your offspeed stuff you cant leave it where the batter can hit it either. And what game were you at the softball one, he went to the mound 2 times..you have to remove the pitcher on the third trip.

I never said he was in perfect shape, just not where he can go 7 innings as strong as the first. Remember, he had a no hitter into the 5th inning and 2 of the hits in the 7th should have been caught for outs. He was a little tired Im sure. Even the "men" in the MLB get tired. If not then every pitcher would go 9 innings.

And to say he is not a team player is crazy.. Clearly you dont know anything about anything.. I am sure he felt like he could finish, which he did..

STANG RED
03-22-2009, 01:34 PM
Stuggled with control??? only 2 walks.. You cant throw every pitch right down the middle and when you throw in the 90s and go with your offspeed stuff you cant leave it where the batter can hit it either.

Those are great points, and I completely agree. I both pitched and caught back in my bball playing days, so I understand what your talking about. The trick isn’t to throw strikes all the time. If you do that, you'll eventually get knocked off the mound sooner or later. The real trick is to throw off plate pitches that either cant be hit, or produce weak ground balls and/or flares. All really good pitchers get the majority of their outs on balls, not strikes. However it does sometimes account for a high pitch count when facing well disciplined hitters, like Wylie always seems to have. And it can give the appearance of control problems to those that don’t understand what they’re seeing.

TinyTim
03-22-2009, 02:57 PM
Stuggled with control??? only 2 walks.. You cant throw every pitch right down the middle and when you throw in the 90s and go with your offspeed stuff you cant leave it where the batter can hit it either. And what game were you at the softball one, he went to the mound 2 times..you have to remove the pitcher on the third trip.

I never said he was in perfect shape, just not where he can go 7 innings as strong as the first. Remember, he had a no hitter into the 5th inning and 2 of the hits in the 7th should have been caught for outs. He was a little tired Im sure. Even the "men" in the MLB get tired. If not then every pitcher would go 9 innings.

And to say he is not a team player is crazy.. Clearly you dont know anything about anything.. I am sure he felt like he could finish, which he did..

You need to go back and read my post. Then read DaDDyD's post before it. I am saying that the kid IS OBIVOUSLY a team player and that he is not just out for himself. You interpreted my post the wrong way pal. The control issue was definitely evident when he tried to throw and offspeed pitch. That is the only reason that Wylie got to him in the 7th. He didn't have an out pitch. I do agree he did great and looked fantastic though, at this level. It's pretty obvious that when you dominate with a 97 mph fastball, you don't need a curve, at this level.

Lion
03-22-2009, 06:10 PM
You need to go back and read my post. Then read DaDDyD's post before it. I am saying that the kid IS OBIVOUSLY a team player and that he is not just out for himself. You interpreted my post the wrong way pal. The control issue was definitely evident when he tried to throw and offspeed pitch. That is the only reason that Wylie got to him in the 7th. He didn't have an out pitch. I do agree he did great and looked fantastic though, at this level. It's pretty obvious that when you dominate with a 97 mph fastball, you don't need a curve, at this level.

Yes I did read it wrong.... For that I am sorry..

Daddy D 11
03-22-2009, 06:26 PM
Never said he wasn't a team player. Just saying, the Major League Draft is probably weighing heavier in his mind right now than a District Title. Sure, he wants the District Title, but keeping his arm healthy and not risking anything is way more important right now.

Either way, the kids a beast and is gonna go far if he continues to throw like he has been.

BwdLion_80
03-22-2009, 08:12 PM
And what game were you at the softball one, he went to the mound 2 times..you have to remove the pitcher on the third trip.

According to federation baseball rules, which is used in Texas, a team gets 3 free trips to the mound in the first 7 innings, the pitcher has to be removed on the 4th trip and everyone after. If the coach goes out and the pitcher is pulled, that does not count as a trip.

BEAST
03-25-2009, 02:36 PM
If Miller is on such a good throwing program then the coach then his arm should be in shape by now. He threw over 100 pitches in that game and struggled with control. This kid has potential to make a living in baseball and an injury would be devestating. If he is already throwing that many pitches...... he better be in shape.

The real question is ....What are the Lions gonna do against Breckenridge on Tuesday? Miller is sure as heck not gonna be available and no one else seems to be able to pitch. Breckenridge has a darn good baseball team. Good Luck

;) ;) ;)

How about a 3 hit shuout by Vance Mcshan and 10-0 mercy rule victory over the "darn good team" from Breckenridge!

BEAST

Sweetwater Red
03-25-2009, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by BEAST
10-0 mercy rule victory over the "darn good team" from Breckenridge!

Hell! Even we beat Breckenridge. It was our first district win in
two years. We are now 3-10 on the year.

BEAST
03-25-2009, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red

Im not the one who said they were good, Tiny Tim did.

BEAST

BwdLion_80
03-25-2009, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red

Their coach from last year, leaving a 3A school, to go to a 2A school, might just be a little indication of what he was expecting in baseball this year. Remember, I said might!