PDA

View Full Version : Brad McCoy could be headed to the Alamo City..

TexasHSFootball
03-20-2009, 01:59 AM
SA Churchill opening attracts McCoy (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/high_school_football/UT_stars_dad_might_apply_for_Churchill_coaching_jo b.html)

Looking4number8
03-20-2009, 08:13 AM
I cant get the link to work.

Ranger Mom
03-20-2009, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
I cant get the link to work.

I couldn't either, even when I tried to redo it for him, I still got the same error.

At the top of the page you DO get, you can type in Brad McCoy in the search box and the first article it brings up is it, I believe.

Hill Man
03-20-2009, 12:17 PM
By Chad Peters - Express-News
Graham football coach Brad McCoy, the father of Texas quarterback Colt McCoy, acknowledged this week he could become a candidate to fill Churchill's vacant coaching job.

Former Roosevelt and current Caney Creek coach Glenn Hill is another name that has surfaced as a possible candidate, sources said.

“I have been contacted, but I haven't applied” McCoy said. “I guess we're gathering some research and seeing if it's something we're interested in.”

North East ISD athletic director Jerry Comalander did not confirm or deny whether McCoy had been approached about the opening but said he has received “a bunch” of applications for the opening.

“I won't talk about personnel in any form or fashion,” Comalander said.

Hill, older brother of Smithson Valley coach Larry Hill, declined comment this week on whether he has expressed interest or been approached regarding the opening.

Class 3A Graham went 3-7 last year, but has made the playoffs in two of McCoy's four years with the program. McCoy's son Case, a Texas commit, is a quarterback at Graham entering his senior season.

The Churchill job, which was posted March 6, will remain open to applicants through next Thursday, Comalander said.

He said interviews could begin as soon as Friday, March 27, and that the district hopes to have a coach hired by early April.

Former Churchill coach and athletic coordinator Carl Gustafson left the school earlier this month to take a newly created athletic administrative position in NEISD. Churchill finished 2-8 last year, including a seventh-best mark of 2-6 in District 26-5A.

PPSTATEBOUND
03-20-2009, 12:26 PM
At 3-7 some in Graham might call it a god send if he takes the postition..Others might want a repeat.:D

ronwx5x
03-20-2009, 01:19 PM
San Antonio Churchill High School is in the Northeast ISD. If you locate it on the map, it is north of Loop 410 and west of US 281 which I consider the east/west dividing line of SA. Looks like Northwest ISD to me? Guess I didn't pick the name of the ISD, huh! Not too far from the San Antonio Airport.

Hill Man
03-20-2009, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Graham had a rough season, but he also broke the 10 year playoff win drought in 2006 and took'em to the 3rd round.
With the mix of athletes they have in the NEISD, it's kinda hard to believe that CHHS has had such a lack of success.

Went to a few CHHS games last season... Coaching had everything to do the lack of success there.. They have the athletes.

RedWhiteBlue
03-20-2009, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by PPSTATEBOUND
At 3-7 some in Graham might call it a god send if he takes the postition..Others might want a repeat.:D
:doh:

Snyder_TigerFan
03-20-2009, 10:03 PM
I didn't know Case was a Texas commit.:thinking: For QB?

Z-RO
03-21-2009, 01:22 AM
It does seem a little odd to start a freshman QB with no varsity (or JV) experience. Probably not a very popular decision if there was a jr or sr who had payed his dues. Just my opinion.

GreenMonster
03-21-2009, 02:36 AM
I'll never forget going to the walmart in Graham during McCoy's first year. During the winter, Id always wear my coaching jacket, and peope would stop me, not a damned clue who I was just knew I was coach, and ask me to try to get the HC job at Graham HS b/c McCoy was such an idiot for starting his kid at QB as a freshman. Hell, they had just gone 3 rounds deep and won a playoff game for the first time in 10 years, and they actually had the nerve to want him gone! I made up my mind that winter that under no circumstances would I ever coach in Graham America. Just like Mineral Wells, except with athletes. Actually, the year you speak of would have been McCoy's second year in Graham. The first year was the year he went 3 deep with a bunch of inherited talent from Bourquin. He started a Sophmore at QB that year and RAN the spread with one of Bourquin's half-backs toting the mail. The next season he uprooted the now Jr QB that had started all 13 games the year before in favor of his now Freshman son. Moved the other kid to reciever. It ruffled a lot of feathers. I'm not going to judge the situation because as a coach I'm going to play a freshman over a junior or a senior when the skill level of the freshman is greater than or equal to the upperclassmen. Just pointing out that he did ruffle some feathers there over that incident.

Z-RO
03-21-2009, 03:56 AM
My only question is was McCoys skills better as a freshman then the kid who was a upperclassman? Or was it because he had more potential? Looking at McCoys numbers the last two years on another site and they do not seem that impressive. Honest question.

VWG
03-21-2009, 10:52 AM
I'll never forget going to the walmart in Graham during McCoy's first year. During the winter, Id always wear my coaching jacket, and peope would stop me, not a damned clue who I was just knew I was coach, and ask me to try to get the HC job at Graham HS b/c McCoy was such an idiot for starting his kid at QB as a freshman. Hell, they had just gone 3 rounds deep and won a playoff game for the first time in 10 years, and they actually had the nerve to want him gone! I made up my mind that winter that under no circumstances would I ever coach in Graham America. Just like Mineral Wells, except with athletes.

So you're judging a few people at the Wal-Mart in Graham as the whole community? Brother, I could pick that conversation out in just about every town from Seminole to Tatum in a Wal-Mart.
Think about it.

GreenMonster
03-21-2009, 01:21 PM
Then why did people constantly bitch about him starting his kid at QB as a freshman that year? The year was 2006, Case's freshman season. The next (2007), his soph, and then last season(2008), his Jr. The comming season(2009) will be his Sr year. According to Dave Campbell's, Case started all 13 games and earned Freshman of the year during the 2006 season. I think you're confused on the dates. I may have the dates mixed up as far as whether Case QB'd the play-off squad, but that would have been the McCoy's second year in Graham. Case was an 8th grader their first year in Graham and a sophmore was the starting QB on the varsity that year. The very next year Case was moved in and the kid that started as a Soph was moved to receiver for his Jr and Sr year. I know that many of the Steer faithful thought this a bad move.

STANG RED
03-21-2009, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Z-RO
My only question is was McCoys skills better as a freshman then the kid who was a upperclassman? Or was it because he had more potential? Looking at McCoys numbers the last two years on another site and they do not seem that impressive. Honest question.

I've seen the kid play 5 or 6 times. He is very talented, and may very well be able to follow in his big brothers footsteps after this next season. But I can certainly see how the people of Graham were upset when he started as a freshman. He showed his obvious talent his freshman year for sure, but in all honesty, he only got the starting position because his Dad was head coach, had the power to do it, and wanted it to happen. Was it the best move for the team at the time? Probably not. For the long run? Probably so. Great experience for the kid, to start on varsity for 4 years and hoan his skills for the next level? Absolutely!
What would we have done in Coach McCoys situation?
Id like to think most would have done what was best for the team as a whole, instead of what was just best for my son. But its hard to say what youll do for sure, unless your put in that situation, and know all the circumstances around it.

RedWhiteBlue
03-21-2009, 02:28 PM
This is one of those instances where you don't need to make judgements about a situation because you do not know all the facts or are too quick to assume things about the people involved. Anyone close to coaching knows that there will always be people in town willing to talk about the coaches at the local Walmart and how they would love to get rid of so-and-so for whatever reason and they are NEVER happy with whoever the coach is. That is just part of being a coach.
I can tell you that there are also a lot of folks here in Graham that support Coach McCoy and what he has done for the program here. Unfortunately, those people do not usually vocalize their thoughts out loud at Walmart.....:rolleyes:

Z-RO
03-21-2009, 03:47 PM
What are the chances RedWhiteBlue's screen name changes to RedandBlack once McCoy leaves? I normally just read on here, but it does seem that anytime the McCoy’s are specifically mentioned RWB is not far behind.

I will leave this topic alone because it does not affect me directly one way or the other, but I do want to mention that I bet Graham would be upset if McCoy did decide to leave before his sons senior season after having to deal with all of the controversy the last 3 years.