PDA

View Full Version : All-District Basketball Selections do not make sense

Airforce1
03-18-2009, 02:59 PM
In district 25, one team had the mvp offensive player and the mvp defensive player on a team that went 2-8 or 3-7 and did not get in. How can you nominate or vote for someone that could not even help their team win half of their district games. Even worse, how can a team get both offensive and defensive mvp and not make the playoffs. I can see maybe one of them if they were good offensively and just got outscored, or even real good defensively and could not score but both.

TinyTim
03-18-2009, 03:35 PM
Individual post season awards are as worthless as the folks giving them.

In the words of a great college basketball Coach," The only true award is the WIN." Nothing wlse matters.

pirate4state
03-18-2009, 03:36 PM
man, i have started to post something and have erased all my comments. :helpme:

i remember when making all district used to mean something. now it is just so watered down, that when things like this happen, it just exposes it for the joke it has become!

tragic

TinyTim
03-18-2009, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by TinyTim

In the words of a great college basketball Coach," The only true award is the WIN." Nothing else matters.

pirate4state
03-18-2009, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by TinyTim

In the words of a great college basketball Coach," The only true award is the WIN." Nothing wlse matters. Are you calling coaches worthless? :doh: That's who votes on all district selections! :tisk:

hookandladder
03-18-2009, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Airforce1
In district 25, one team had the mvp offensive player and the mvp defensive player on a team that went 2-8 or 3-7 and did not get in. How can you nominate or vote for someone that could not even help their team win half of their district games. Even worse, how can a team get both offensive and defensive mvp and not make the playoffs. I can see maybe one of them if they were good offensively and just got outscored, or even real good defensively and could not score but both.

Are you talking about girls or boys.

venomous tat2
03-18-2009, 05:41 PM
All dist is determined by ( 1 ) coaches nomanating their players for each catagory (2) you cannot vote on your players (3) and I hate to say this , some coaches will get togather and vote on who they like rather than is best. Bottom line it's all politics. I have seen it done many times.

TinyTim
03-18-2009, 08:49 PM
What's interesting is that just when you think that you have it figured out, along comes some bozo who decides that there should be a change in the type of or amount of selections and someone always gets the short end of the stick.

Venomus tat..... you are so right and I rest my case.

CueroDad08
03-18-2009, 09:24 PM
I understand were you are comming from.
Cuero Had the MVP on "O"
And 2 first team guys
and 2 2nd team guys

And same thing, did not make playoffs.

IHStangFan
03-18-2009, 09:31 PM
seems like maybe they're "feel good" awards these days. You know....the whole "nobody loses, everyone's a winner" crap.

Airforce1
03-19-2009, 10:08 AM
It was on the boys side and the team was Columbus.

hookandladder
03-19-2009, 10:37 AM
It was on the boys side and the team was Columbus.

I know they got the Co-MVP's right,La Grange and Bellville won these awards. Also if the Waddle kid is who you are talking won offensive are defense, I feel he was worthy for either award. He was very impressive, I do not care if his team was first or last place in District. Also there was a kid from Smithville that was very impressive, if it was him he deserved it to in my opinion. He was very impressive, Do not know who else you would be talking about. Maybe you could give us a little more info.

Bullaholic
03-19-2009, 10:39 AM
All of you need to keep in mind that the kids did not create all of these awards and polls and their selection methods---they look forward to recognition for their efforts as much as those of us back in the day, and it's not their fault that the process has made this recognition so controversial and so cloudy. It's still all about the KIDS---not you and me.

hookandladder
03-19-2009, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
All of you need to keep in mind that the kids did not create all of these awards and polls and their selection methods---they look forward to recognition for their efforts as much as those of us back in the day, and it's not their fault that the process has made this recognition so controversial and so cloudy. It's still all about the KIDS---not you and me.

Agreed, if the kids I mention did receive offense and defense awards, they were deserved.

warpig
03-19-2009, 11:45 AM
It takes five players to make a team. If 2 of them are studs and deserve the honors, then so be it. Maybe the other 3 couldn't hit there butt with both hands and they couldn't win with them. Either way, the coaches seemed to think that these 2 individuals deserved the honors and they were the ones who scouted and played against them.

Old Dog
03-19-2009, 11:59 AM
All-district has been political ever since Satan selected the first team after the Garden of Eden...................

Airforce1
03-19-2009, 01:32 PM
I think waddle was the defensive player and I do not know the name of the other Columbus kid who was the offensive mvp. The co-Mvp's were the Lagrange point and the Bellville kid who averaged like 28+ points. I think the two Columbus kids are good players, my problem is to me a offensive or defensive most valuable player should be valuable enough to lead their team to more victories and then you throw in both offensive and defensive players on one team that does not go .500 in district is not right in my humble opinion.

hookandladder
03-19-2009, 03:17 PM
I think waddle was the defensive player and I do not know the name of the other Columbus kid who was the offensive mvp. The co-Mvp's were the Lagrange point and the Bellville kid who averaged like 28+ points. I think the two Columbus kids are good players, my problem is to me a offensive or defensive most valuable player should be valuable enough to lead their team to more victories and then you throw in both offensive and defensive players on one team that does not go .500 in district is not right in my humble opinion.

I would still have to disagree with your opinion but like they say everyone is entitled to his own opinion.

Johnny Utah
03-19-2009, 08:50 PM
Sounds like your ticked off at the CHS coach. I have a problem with that! Awards are for the kids, not you or me. It is a process, and all processes have flaws. Alot of the times the most deserving kids get the awards, sometimes just like in everything, some undeserving types get the awards. Happens!!! Political, EVERYTHING IN LIFE IS POLITICAL!

Johnny Utah
03-19-2009, 09:52 PM
This was for Tiny Tim by the way.

hookandladder
03-20-2009, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
Sounds like your ticked off at the CHS coach. I have a problem with that! Awards are for the kids, not you or me. It is a process, and all processes have flaws. Alot of the times the most deserving kids get the awards, sometimes just like in everything, some undeserving types get the awards. Happens!!! Political, EVERYTHING IN LIFE IS POLITICAL!

I have no kid in high school yet and I saw every team in our District play, as I have said earlier in my post if the kids I mention received reconition they deserved it. Sounds to me someone has a bone to pick because he or his son did not win an award.I feel the MVP, offensive and defensive players are usually awarded to the best players, after that your 1st and 2nd teams can get watered down.

TinyTim
03-20-2009, 09:38 AM

No Johnnie. My beef is with you. I don't even know a CHS coach or who CHS is. But I do know you.

Johnny Utah
03-21-2009, 10:53 AM
Well come on out! Lets hear it!!! Explain to the masses why you have a beef with me!!!

Johnny Utah
03-21-2009, 10:54 AM
By the way it is Johnny not Johnnie. LOL

TinyTim
03-23-2009, 03:36 PM
By the way it is Johnny not Johnnie. LOL

No I have it right, It's Johnnie (as in le femme).

Isn't it nice to see each other out and pretend like we don't know who each other is.

Mingus,. LOL

STAggie
03-23-2009, 03:38 PM
Where can one find these lists? Haven't see them around my part of the district.

Johnny Utah
03-23-2009, 03:41 PM
Boars nest, meet ya there!! Oh, YOUR BUYING!!!

TinyTim
03-23-2009, 08:41 PM
Boars nest, meet ya there!! Oh, YOUR BUYING!!!

Sure thing pumpkin!

5:30 Wednesday

pirate4state
03-23-2009, 11:35 PM
fascinating, really

Johnny Utah
03-24-2009, 07:15 AM
Pumpkin?? Not what they call me at Walters City Limits!!!