PDA

View Full Version : Softball - D25

PutMeInCoach
03-17-2009, 03:21 PM
District starts this week for D25. Here are the match ups for this week. Any predictions?

Columbus @ Smithville
Bellville @ La Grange
Sealy @ Giddings

My picks:
Columbus
LG by 1 run since Murphy is such a standout pitcher.
Giddings...but Sealy has the ablility to steal any game away.

hookandladder
03-17-2009, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by PutMeInCoach
District starts this week for D25. Here are the match ups for this week. Any predictions?

Columbus @ Smithville
Bellville @ La Grange
Sealy @ Giddings

My picks:
Columbus
LG by 1 run since Murphy is such a standout pitcher.
Giddings...but Sealy has the ablility to steal any game away.

I heard Bellville got beat by Weimar 5-0 in the Brenham tournament, is this correct. Pretty sure Weimar is not very strong this year.

Columbus big over Smithville
Giddings over Sealy by aleast 5 runs.
La Grange over Bellville

my picks.

PutMeInCoach
03-17-2009, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by hookandladder
I heard Bellville got beat by Weimar 5-0 in the Brenham tournament, is this correct. Pretty sure Weimar is not very strong this year.

Columbus big over Smithville
Giddings over Sealy by aleast 5 runs.
La Grange over Bellville

my picks.

Murphy was sick that weekend and didn't pitch. The team really hurts without her.

hookandladder
03-18-2009, 06:24 AM
Murphy was sick that weekend and didn't pitch. The team really hurts without her.

15 years ago Bellville had a really good pitcher that took them to State, counting on 1 player now days will not get you far in the playoffs. If Bellville cannot beat a below normal Weimar team without Murphy, they may struggle this year.

pirate4state
03-18-2009, 08:56 AM
??

Are these games Thursday or Friday?

BaTmAn24
03-18-2009, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
??

Are these games Thursday or Friday?

friday

zebrablue2
03-18-2009, 06:22 PM
15 years ago Bellville had a really good pitcher that took them to State, counting on 1 player now days will not get you far in the playoffs. If Bellville cannot beat a below normal Weimar team without Murphy, they may struggle this year.

who really knows weimar is below normal. they have had below normal years take them to the state tournment-LOL.. weimar will always battle ya... I saw bellville beat 5a houston westside last week 3-1. westside was a pretty could 5a school. so if bellville can beat them, and 2a weimar beats bellville, i predict weimar in the state tournment again this year--LOL...

PutMeInCoach
03-18-2009, 06:37 PM
Any team is beatable on any given day.

allforball
03-18-2009, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
who really knows weimar is below normal. they have had below normal years take them to the state tournment-LOL.. weimar will always battle ya... I saw bellville beat 5a houston westside last week 3-1. westside was a pretty could 5a school. so if bellville can beat them, and 2a weimar beats bellville, i predict weimar in the state tournment again this year--LOL...

Weimar will not return to the state tournament this year. The 7-8 year run of Kubesh girls pitching is over.

hookandladder
03-19-2009, 06:28 AM

Would you be willing to make a little wager on that prediction, as stated before the Kubesh are no longer pitching. The Kubesh sister pitched Weimar to ever State Tournament they made it to and also were great hitters. So you think Weimar can beat East Benard this year and make it to the State Tournament.

87 TIGER
03-19-2009, 07:52 AM
Let's see, Cameron beat weimer by about 6 runs. Cameron now 0-3 in dist.
Rockdale lost to East Bernard 1-0 in 9 innings. We are not that strong this year.
Pitching is all EB has , they cannot hit the ball.

So, I don't see either Weimer or EB going to the state tournament.

hookandladder
03-19-2009, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by 87 TIGER
Let's see, Cameron beat weimer by about 6 runs. Cameron now 0-3 in dist.
Rockdale lost to East Bernard 1-0 in 9 innings. We are not that strong this year.
Pitching is all EB has , they cannot hit the ball.

So, I don't see either Weimer or EB going to the state tournament.

Remember we are talking about 2A softball, you do not need to be really strong from top to bottom. If you have a pitcher like East Benard and a decent middle you can manufacture 1 maybe 2 runs a game. Not saying East Benard will be in the State Tournament but I am saying Weimar will not be their. Referring back to Zebras comment.

trg
03-19-2009, 08:37 AM
Good luck to the girls from Bellville in their district opener against La Grange tomorrow night. We will be making the trip and rooting you on. :) :) :cheerl: :cheerl:

hookandladder
03-19-2009, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by trg
Good luck to the girls from Bellville in their district opener against La Grange tomorrow night. We will be making the trip and rooting you on. :) :) :cheerl: :cheerl:

If you have not seen our new fields you will be in for a treat and the team will be playing on one of the best fields in the State. Go Leps.

trg
03-19-2009, 09:53 AM
Cool. So where are the fields located?

hookandladder
03-19-2009, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by trg
Cool. So where are the fields located?

Same place it was before, by the Football field. Baseball field across the road from softball field.

trg
03-19-2009, 10:48 AM
Same place it was before, by the Football field. Baseball field across the road from softball field.

Thanks a bunch. Good luck to ya'll tomorrow.

hookandladder
03-19-2009, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by trg
Thanks a bunch. Good luck to ya'll tomorrow.

Same to you, love the Bellville- La Grange matchups.

zebrablue2
03-19-2009, 09:29 PM
Would you be willing to make a little wager on that prediction, as stated before the Kubesh are no longer pitching. The Kubesh sister pitched Weimar to ever State Tournament they made it to and also were great hitters. So you think Weimar can beat East Benard this year and make it to the State Tournament.

U just stated in an earlier thread one person--OR PITCHER will not get a team far in the playoffs,15 yrs ago Bellville, now you speak of the Kubesh sister, should have been sisters as being the reason weimar made it to state, both hitting and pitching--LOL. I have NO idea what weimar's record is this year, and I know nothing about them. I will wager you put your foot in your mouth once again before the season is over... be careful what you say early, and then later...

hookandladder
03-20-2009, 06:46 AM
U just stated in an earlier thread one person--OR PITCHER will not get a team far in the playoffs,15 yrs ago Bellville, now you speak of the Kubesh sister, should have been sisters as being the reason weimar made it to state, both hitting and pitching--LOL. I have NO idea what weimar's record is this year, and I know nothing about them. I will wager you put your foot in your mouth once again before the season is over... be careful what you say early, and then later...

15 years ago softball just starting out in UIL, competition was very weak to say the least where 1 good pitcher could dominate. Times have changed softball now has better competition. Also stated in 2A down 1 player can dominate, Kubesh-Wemar, Mikulik-Flatonia, Hass-Shiner the list goes on. If you know nothing about Wemar why would you predict them to be in the State Tournament, maybe because you know nothing.

Reds fan
03-20-2009, 10:55 AM

Just got thru reading Bellville Times story on the Westside game.

The article gives a pretty good idea on how one player can affect a team. Bellville, run ruled by Westside few days earlier then turns around and defeats Westside 4-1 with their pitcher back in the circle.

Another note about Brenham tourney and Bellville, Murphy was not the only player affected by illness or injury. From what I heard there were 3 or 4 affected and Bellville had to use pitchers that haven't thrown since little league.

Good luck to all as District begins.

hookandladder
03-20-2009, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Reds fan
Just got thru reading Bellville Times story on the Westside game.

The article gives a pretty good idea on how one player can affect a team. Bellville, run ruled by Westside few days earlier then turns around and defeats Westside 4-1 with their pitcher back in the circle.

Another note about Brenham tourney and Bellville, Murphy was not the only player affected by illness or injury. From what I heard there were 3 or 4 affected and Bellville had to use pitchers that haven't thrown since little league.

Good luck to all as District begins.

Murphy is definitely an impact player both offensively and defensively, if they were missing more players also during the Brenham tourney would explain their poor showing. With Murphy for Bellville and Wolf from La Grange pitching tonight it will come down to defense, who makes the plays. Looking forward to a good game tonight, La Grange has not played very good competition in non-District games other than a couple of games. Will see who can handle the pressure tonight. With new stadium their will not be a bad seat in the house, when Lockhart came to play us their players were asking their coach if they make it to State do they get to play here again.

PutMeInCoach
03-20-2009, 12:38 PM
La Grange has not played very good competition in non-District games other than a couple of games.

Where have you been? I don't know what your definition of a couple is, but where I come from it means 2. There are many more than 2 games worth of very good competition.

Lockhart is 15-5-1 overall
Nederland is 12-3 overall and ranked 7th in the polls
LCM is 10-4 overall is ranked 15th in the polls.
Elgin is ranked 6th in the polls.
Brenham is 19-1 overall and ranked 3rd in the polls.
PNG is ranked 16th in the polls.
Forney is a good team.
Katy Taylor got rained out...maybe it will be rescheduled

I am sure there are some others that I may be leaving off, but you make is sound as if they aren't playing anyone worthy. Yes, there has also been a few "non-competitive" teams, but everyone's schedule has those type games as well.

hookandladder
03-20-2009, 01:02 PM
Where have you been? I don't know what your definition of a couple is, but where I come from it means 2. There are many more than 2 games worth of very good competition.

Lockhart is 15-5-1 overall
Nederland is 12-3 overall and ranked 7th in the polls
LCM is 10-4 overall is ranked 15th in the polls.
Elgin is ranked 6th in the polls.
Brenham is 19-1 overall and ranked 3rd in the polls.
PNG is ranked 16th in the polls.
Forney is a good team.
Katy Taylor got rained out...maybe it will be rescheduled

I am sure there are some others that I may be leaving off, but you make is sound as if they aren't playing anyone worthy. Yes, there has also been a few "non-competitive" teams, but everyone's schedule has those type games as well.

Overall non-District schedule not very competitive, 5 10-0 run rule games out of 15 games. Shows some lack of competition. Bellville and Giddings will tell us where we stand, for the record with the talent we have on this team anything less than making a strong run at State will be a very big disappointment.

PutMeInCoach
03-20-2009, 01:31 PM
15-1 record ... 5 wins with the run rule.. That's approx 30%. That's not "overall", as you put it, not very competitive non-district schedule. That leave 70% a little competitive? Come on. Every team has their off days. Sounds like you're getting your excuses ready incase they lose tonight. What a fan!

hookandladder
03-20-2009, 02:34 PM
15-1 record ... 5 wins with the run rule.. That's approx 30%. That's not "overall", as you put it, not very competitive non-district schedule. That leave 70% a little competitive? Come on. Every team has their off days. Sounds like you're getting your excuses ready incase they lose tonight. What a fan!

I make no excuses win or lose, if you get beat you get beat. No excuse will make any difference in the win, lost column. Just saying it is better to play a rock solid schedule to get you ready for District and the playoffs. I will be pulling for LG, if they lose you will never see me makeup an excuse for losing . There are to many things that can happen in a game that can make you win or lose. Excuses a for losers.

Reds fan
03-20-2009, 04:04 PM
Murphy is definitely an impact player both offensively and defensively, if they were missing more players also during the Brenham tourney would explain their poor showing. With Murphy for Bellville and Wolf from La Grange pitching tonight it will come down to defense, who makes the plays. Looking forward to a good game tonight, La Grange has not played very good competition in non-District games other than a couple of games. Will see who can handle the pressure tonight. With new stadium their will not be a bad seat in the house, when Lockhart came to play us their players were asking their coach if they make it to State do they get to play here again.

Regardless of the pitching matchup LG should be strong favorites to win this game and district....overall defense and hitting is much better top to bottom with LG.

hookandladder
03-20-2009, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Reds fan
Regardless of the pitching matchup LG should be strong favorites to win this game and district....overall defense and hitting is much better top to bottom with LG.

Still got to do it when it counts.Looking forward to tonight.

PutMeInCoach
03-20-2009, 09:35 PM
That weak preseason schedule showed up tonight didn't it. 11-0...LG layed off Murphy's riseball and made her bring something into thier zone. Defensively, they made a couple of errors and should have caught some easy fly balls, but that wouldn't have made that much difference in the outcome.

allforball
03-20-2009, 10:06 PM
LG is the real deal. Yes, Bellville allowed them to put runners in scoring position early due to a below average defense, but LG hit Murphy well from that point on. This team has a great opportunity to make a long run in the playoffs and bring home another state championship. Giddings I believe will be a much better team than Bellville and will be the only team in District that can possibly challenge LG. Way to go Lady Leps!

allforball
03-20-2009, 10:11 PM
That weak preseason schedule showed up tonight didn't it. 11-0...LG layed off Murphy's riseball and made her bring something into thier zone. Defensively, they made a couple of errors and should have caught some easy fly balls, but that wouldn't have made that much difference in the outcome.
The scheduled preseason games were weak. However, the Brenham tournament was competition that was well needed. LG fared very well there against some quality teams. Those will pay off in the long run. It doesn't matter if your a 1A,2A,3A,4A, 5A, if you got kids that can play the game you will fare well. La Grange has just that.

allforball
03-20-2009, 10:33 PM

hookandladder
03-20-2009, 10:38 PM

The Lady leps came out ready to play tonight, made short out of Bellville. Congrats on beating them, always nice. Let's not get to carried away with beating them, this is definitely the weakest team Bellville has fielded in the last 15 yrs. They will be hard pressed to finish 3rd in District.

PutMeInCoach
03-21-2009, 08:36 AM
I agree that Bellville lacked a solid defense behind Murphy. You can see how a solid defense brings a team to a whole new level. Murphy tagged a ball to deep center (freaking rope) and the LG CF went back and made one heck of a play.

Also, the Bellville CF also made a good play on a ball hit by one of the LG kids into right-center.