PDA

View Full Version : A Must Read

Corn Cob
03-17-2009, 08:16 AM
If this has been posted before I'm sorry. I don't visit this site regularly, so I may have missed it.

For all you high school football "nuts" who like to read, you need to go get the book "Twelve Mighty Orphans" and read it. It is an outstanding book by Jim Dent that portrays the Masonic Home School (Fort Worth, TX) football team during the 1930's and 40's, when they were a major powerhouse. Go to the link below to learn a little more about the book. I have read "Friday Night Lights" and "The Junction Boys" and this book ranks right up there with them.

http://aaronesharp.wordpress.com/2008/07/18/twelve-mighty-orphans/

coach
03-17-2009, 01:42 PM
very good book...those kids were amazing

STANG RED
03-17-2009, 04:00 PM
Wasnt there a movie made of this back in the 40s? Spencer Tracy played the coach I believe.

Corn Cob
03-17-2009, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Wasnt there a movie made of this back in the 40s? Spencer Tracy played the coach I believe.
There wasn't a movie made from this particular book, because this book wasn't published until 2007, but there might have been a movie on this story. I really don't think so, though. Maybe somebody might want to research this and see if you are right.

Corn Cob
03-17-2009, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
It looks like a movie on this book is coming. See link to recent news release below.

http://www.12mightyorphans.com/newsRelease1.pdf

Ranger Mom
03-17-2009, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Corn Cob
There wasn't a movie made from this particular book, because this book wasn't published until 2007, but there might have been a movie on this story. I really don't think so, though. Maybe somebody might want to research this and see if you are right.

I think Phil C should get right on that!!

icu812
03-17-2009, 04:45 PM
Hopefully the movie does the book and the story justice. Great book.

Also, a good football book with some history mixed in is:

Carlisle vs. Army: Jim Thorpe, Dwight Eisenhower, Pop Warner, and the Forgotten Story of Football's Greatest Battle by Lars Anderson

Jim Thorpe of the Carlisle Indian School and their coach Pop Warner vs. Dwight Eisenhower and Army. Historic names, cowboys vs. Indians on the football field. Great story.

Gsquared
03-17-2009, 07:18 PM
Read twelve mighty orphans a couple of months ago, great book. Another one I read that was even better, "One Ranger" the story of Juaquin Jackson. Freakin awesome. Dang , I wanna shoot somethin now, but what.....?