View Full Version : Ponder wins back to back state titles

mwynn05
03-15-2009, 02:36 PM
Comments 3 | Recommend 1
Boys basketball: Texas two-step

Ponder Lions repeat as Class 2A state champs

09:08 AM CDT on Sunday, March 15, 2009

By Damon L. Sayles / The Dallas Morning News

AUSTIN — The Ponder boys basketball team, from its patient, ball-control offense to its candy-striped warm-up uniforms, reminds some of the movie Hoosiers. Much like the movie, Ponder had a happy ending Saturday afternoon.

Ponder used fundamental basketball — head fakes, box-outs, rebounds, backdoor cuts and free-throw shooting — to defeat New Waverly, 51-39, and repeat as the UIL 2A state champion at the Frank Erwin Center. Ponder (40-1) outplayed a more athletic New Waverly club that had scored 100 points twice this season.

“We had to really go to our fundamentals,” Ponder coach Doug Boxell said. “We also wanted to put the ‘mental’ part of fundamentals in it.”

By “mental,” Boxell wanted his team to focus on two things – make New Waverly play its style and avoid a run-and-gun game that favored New Waverly’s athleticism. Ponder’s defense took control in the fourth quarter, holding New Waverly to five points in the final four minutes of the game.

Offensively, Ponder put the game out of reach with free throws down the stretch. David Robertson gave Ponder a 39-34 lead at the 4:37 mark with back-to-back 3-pointers.

“I knew I wasn’t shooting the ball all that well. I had to keep shooting since they weren’t playing on me,” Robertson said. “If I missed, hopefully one of my teammates would get the rebound and the put-back.”

New Waverly coach Billy Goffney added. “They hit some big shots down the stretch, and they did a good job of taking care of the ball in crucial situations. A couple times, we couldn’t get to them to get in our trap. They played well.”

New Waverly (32-4), a 2A state-semifinalist last season, took its last lead of the game, 32-30, on a Kyren Watts layup with 6:32 in the fourth quarter. From there, Ponder went on a 21-7 run.

Ponder point guard Isaiah Boxell, who initiated the tempo of the contest, finished with 13 points and five assists and was named the championship-game MVP. Joel Garza had 14 points, nine rebounds and three steals, all team-highs.

New Waverly made 39.5 percent (17 of 43) from the field and only 40 percent (4 of 10) from the free throw line. Watts had 13 points and seven rebounds.

Ponder 51, New Waverly 39

NEW WAVERLY (32-4)

Watts, K. 5-9 3-7 13, Watts, T. 1-3 1-2 3, Harrison 3-6 0-0 7, Saulsberry 5-12 0-0 10, Carrington 3-13 0-0 6, Reece 0-0 0-1 0, Sone 0-0 0-0 0, James 0-0 0-0 0. Totals 17-43 4-10 39.

PONDER (40-1)

Garza 5-10 4-4 14, Ballard 0-3 0-0 0, Gregg 4-5 1-6 9, Boxell 5-12 2-4 13, Lujan 2-5 3-4 7, Young 0-0 0-0 0, Robertson 2-6 2-2 8. Totals 18-41 12-20 51.

Halftime—Ponder 20, New Waverly 14. 3-Point goals—New Waverly 1-10 (Harrison 1-2, Watts, K. 0-1, Carrington 0-3, Saulsberry 0-4), Ponder 3-13 (Robertson 2-5, Boxell 1-6, Garza 0-2). Fouled out—Carrington. Rebounds—New Waverly 25 (Watts, K., Watts, T. 7), Ponder 30 (Garza 9). Assists—New Waverly 6 (Watts, T.Saulsberry 2), Ponder 10 (Boxell 5). Total fouls—New Waverly 20, Ponder 12. Technicals—New Waverly-None. Ponder-None. A—12,258.

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/drc/sports/highschools/stories/DRC_Ponder-finals_0315.363f72bb.html

This was my first coaching experience and it couldn't have been a better one. This is a great group of kids who deserve to win back to back state titles. They are a group of kids who do everything right and make all kinds of sacrifices. It was an honor to be a part of something with these guys and that coaching staff and will be an experience that will be difficult to top. In education your not supposed to have favorites or anything like that, but this group makes that hard. The relationships and closeness that came of this basketball season are what its all about and like coach Boxell told the guys after the game the state championships and medals are great, but without the friendships and and relationships built while trying to win them they wouldn't mean anything.

pirate4state
03-15-2009, 02:45 PM
Congrats

wildstangs
03-15-2009, 09:17 PM
Wow, you got to be part of a state championship team your first year. Very cool and very lucky. Very few coaches get to be part of something that great. Sure did set the standard high for the rest of your career!

Pick6
03-15-2009, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05

This was my first coaching experience and it couldn't have been a better one. This is a great group of kids who deserve to win back to back state titles. They are a group of kids who do everything right and make all kinds of sacrifices. It was an honor to be a part of something with these guys and that coaching staff and will be an experience that will be difficult to top. In education your not supposed to have favorites or anything like that, but this group makes that hard. The relationships and closeness that came of this basketball season are what its all about and like coach Boxell told the guys after the game the state championships and medals are great, but without the friendships and and relationships built while trying to win them they wouldn't mean anything. [/B]

Dang, I must of missed it somewhere that you coached over there. I need to advise my kinfolk over there to leave before it's to late.

Just kidding, congrats to you and Ponder.

mwynn05
03-16-2009, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Congrats partner! Soak it in and live it up. You'll be amazed at how fast you put this on the back burner and start working for the next one. oh were already tellin the kids who are comin back we gotta do it again next year chances are i wont be there though