PDA

View Full Version : State Team Tennis

mustang68
03-14-2009, 02:58 PM
Anyone heard the outcome from Waco?

mustang68
03-14-2009, 04:13 PM
Tournament was apparently rained out on Friday.

icu812
03-14-2009, 04:33 PM
3A TTCA Regional Team Tennis Results from March 6th and 7th

1st and 2nd place in each region advance to the 3A State TEAM TENNIS Tournament in Waco on March 13th and 14th
(a third team advances from the region with the most participants if a region fails to have enough participation)

West Texas Region: (1)Sweetwater (2)Snyder
North Texas Region: (1)Abilene Wylie (2)Vernon
DFW Region: (1)Kaufman (2)Argyle (3)Wills Point
North East Region: (1)Van (2)Spring Hill
East Central Texas Region: (1)Groesbeck (2)Waco Robinson
Central Texas Region: (1)Fredericksburg (2)Wimberley
South East Texas Region: (1)Wharton (2)Bellville
South Texas Region: (1)La Feria

icu812
03-14-2009, 04:35 PM
Rained out yesterday

http://www.reporternews.com/news/2009/mar/14/weather-aces-3a-state-team-tennis-tourney/

Antec
03-14-2009, 09:14 PM
They should let the 3A teams compete with the 4A teams districts in regular UIL Competition

They let 3A soccer and swimming teams compete against 4A

Wharton always has a strong program and a lot kids out

'84 Stang
03-14-2009, 10:36 PM
I just heard that our Sweetwater team got 4th this year....Vernon got 3rd and Wylie was in the top two.....I'm sure it is safe to assume that Wylie won first place.....Congrats to Coach Sims and the young Sweetwater team.....Last years Senior laden team got 5th place so we must have a good tennis program in place!!!

WylieBulldog92
03-14-2009, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by '84 Stang
I just heard that our Sweetwater team got 4th this year....Vernon got 3rd and Wylie was in the top two.....I'm sure it is safe to assume that Wylie won first place.....Congrats to Coach Sims and the young Sweetwater team.....Last years Senior laden team got 5th place so we must have a good tennis program in place!!!
Your assumption is correct :)

'84 Stang
03-15-2009, 02:36 AM
Really?????.....I just heard that Fredericksberg took the 'Dawgs!!!!

WHS02
03-15-2009, 11:09 AM
Wylie Won state. That is 6 state titles in the last 8 years. Pretty GOOD!! Way to go Wylie Tennis!!
Champs again
Wylie tennis team captures sixth title in eight years
Reporter-News Staff Report
Sunday, March 15, 2009

Photo Gallery
Wylie and Sweetwater Team Tennis
Texas Tennis Coaches Association state team tennis tournament Saturday, March 14, 2009, in Waco.

Enlarge photos | View thumbnails

« prev | next »
Story Tools
E-mail story
Comments
iPod friendly
Printer friendly
More High School Sports
High school roundup 03.15.09
Tough enough
UIL boys roundup 03.15.09
WACO -- Steady rain Friday changed the format of the Texas Tennis Coaches Association 3A state team tennis tournament. But it didn't unsteady Wylie's play.

The Wylie tennis team won four matches Saturday by a combined score of 27-1 to earn its second straight state championship and their sixth in the past eight years.

After the rain finally ended, Wylie began to shine.

"I'm just kind of overwhelmed right now," WHS coach Kathryn Gilreath said. "The kids just handled it so well and with so much maturity and so much mental toughness. We couldn't have expected anything else.

The original schedule called for two matches Friday, with the semifinals and finals to be played Saturday with each match consisting of 19 individual matches (six singles matches in boys and girls, three doubles matches on each side and one mixed doubles match).

But the weather forced a shortened format consisting of two singles and doubles matches on each side and one mixed doubles match.

The Bulldogs handled the schedule change flawlessly, winning their first two matches over Wills Point and Wimberley by a combined score of 17-1 to advance to a semifinal match against District 2-3A rival Sweetwater.

"Every year I've been here and done this, we've always been fortunate with the weather, but we knew that this time of year (rain) can always be a possibility," Gilreath said. "We just always tell the kids be prepared for anything, and I felt like they were."

Sweetwater, which came in as the fifth seed, was coming off its first regional tournament championship in school history. But the Mustangs were overwhelmed by Wylie, dropping all four girls matches and the No. 2 boys match to fall by a 5-0 margin.

Senior standout Brooke Dennis and sophomore Kelsey Wolfe won their matches 6-0, 6-0, while Wylie's two girls doubles teams dropped just five games in four sets.

Freshman Bryson Fowlkes won the only boys match that was completed, 6-2, 6-0. The other boys singles match and both doubles matches were still in progress when Wylie earned the deciding fifth point.

"It's always fun to play Wylie," Sweetwater coach Sylvia Sims said. "The boys were having a lot of fun, and they would have loved to have finished their matches just to see how that turned out.

"We knew the girls were extremely tough. We just told them to go have fun and see what they could learn from playing extremely talented players."

After Wylie's win over Sweetwater, the Bulldogs were pitted against Fredericksburg, which beat No. 2 seed Vernon in the semifinals to advance to the championship match.

The Bulldogs handled Fredericksburg in much the same fashion it did Sweetwater, winning three points on the girls side, one point with the mixed doubles match and a fifth point on No. 1 boy Brian McMillan's 6-3, 6-1 win over Hunter Atkins.

Before it was settled, McMillan's match became heated, with a stoppage of play to contest a let call and several verbal exchanges back-and-forth.

McMillan said he just tried his best to keep his composure.

"It's all about being mentally tough in a match like that," he said. "When somebody's being ridiculous like that, you've got to handle it good and you've got to know what to do. Luckily, I've been in that situation before."

The Wylie girls and mixed doubles teams won with much less drama.

Wolfe swept her match with Emily Erans, 6-4, 6-1, the Bulldogs' No. 1 doubles team of twins Courtney and Catilin Cramer won 6-0, 6-0, Leslie Ingram and Colin Bumann won the mixed doubles match 6-2, 6-3 and Sarah Wofford and Chelsea Bristow won 6-1, 6-3 to close out the championship match with a shutout.

"I thought they did a great job and I thought that today was so much more about the mental side of the game than the physical side," Gilreath said. "We've worked so much on our mental toughness this year and I think it paid off today."

While Sweetwater struggled against Wylie, the Mustangs still managed their best finish at the state tournament, taking fourth following a 5-0 loss to Vernon in the third-place match.

Sweetwater, which finished fifth in 2008, had not reached semifinals before this year.

"They just wanted to do better than before and carry on a tradition I guess," Sims said.

'84 Stang
03-15-2009, 03:11 PM
WylieBulldog92 - I owe you an apology....Next time I will double check the info that I get from a woman that is driving after midnight - and talking on a cell phone!!!!! LOL....Congrats Wylie!!!

WylieBulldog92
03-15-2009, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by '84 Stang
WylieBulldog92 - I owe you an apology....Next time I will double check the info that I get from a woman that is driving after midnight - and talking on a cell phone!!!!! LOL....Congrats Wylie!!!
Nah man you don't owe me an apology haha
Glad you got your info right though.

injuredinmelee
03-15-2009, 04:29 PM
wow 27-1 in four matches on Saturday? Thats pretty salty!