PDA

View Full Version : Rain?

WHS02
03-13-2009, 08:31 AM
Does anyone know if all the rain today is going to cancel or has already cancelled the Wylie Boys soccer matchup today for the distrcit title with Stephenville?

Looking4number8
03-13-2009, 01:06 PM
Better watch those Stephenville people, they will beat you up over soccer. Read this story about the Bwd/Ville girls soccer game on Monday night

The Brownwood Lady Lions suffered yet another narrow defeat, but their playoff hopes remain alive if they can win their season finale at Abilene Cooper at 5 p.m. Monday.

The Lady Lions took a 1-0 lead on Kinsey Johnson’s goal off an Emily Moore assist with 29:22 left in the first half, but Stephenville rallied for a 3-1 District 7-4A victory Monday night at Gordon Wood Stadium.

“We keep being the bridesmaids and not the brides,” said Lady Lions head coach Brian Davis. “I know these girls want to and they are all busting their hump to do it, but we have one little lapse here or there. We don’t have any flaws, we just have one little lapse and the whole system breaks down.” Brownwood (7-13, 1-6) held the lead for just 47 seconds as Stephenville pulled even at 28:35, then the Honeybees took the lead at the 4:34 mark after a corner kick. Stephenville tacked on another goal off a corner kick with 4:12 remaining.

“We’ve been right there, but like I told the girls, win and we’re in Monday,” Davis said. “All I want is for us to earn a fresh start. Once you line up in the playoff bracket, nothing that happened before matters. All four teams that get into the playoffs out of this district, I promise you they belong there.”

The game was halted for approximately 20 minutes at the 15:18 mark of the first half due to a physical altercation in the bleachers between several fans of each team. Once the skirmish ended, Stephenville supporters were moved to the bleachers on the visitors’ side, while the Lady Lions moved their bench to the home side where the Brownwood fans remained.

“I wasn’t there when it happened, so I don’t know,” said Davis, who raced across the field and into the stands to help break up the disturbance. “It’s one of those things as a coach you always find regrettable, especially with that many people involved. We’re out here as coaches, and as fans should be, for the girls when they’re standing between the lines. When it starts bleeding outside the lines, it hurts the kids. They feel it.”