PDA

View Full Version : Great article in these tough economic times

LH Panther Mom
03-12-2009, 05:19 PM
link to article (http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2009/03/12/a_head_with_a_heart/?s_campaign=yahoo)

:clap: Kudos to Mr. Levy!

DDBooger
03-12-2009, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
link to article (http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2009/03/12/a_head_with_a_heart/?s_campaign=yahoo)

:clap: Kudos to Mr. Levy!
awesome, great story:clap:

Old Dog
03-12-2009, 08:28 PM
I don't claim to be a financial wizard, but to me (and only me) it might benefit General Motors to adopt such an attitude. From where I stand, a reduction in pay is better than NO JOB AT ALL!

Four decades ago when I went out into the cruel world, there was not near the number of middle management persons as you see today. Most of the engineering offices I was around had one older experienced engineer, one or maybe two young engineers and the rest were techs who usually were schooled by the older guy. And guess what, they got a hell of a lot of work done. This makes me recall the old adage, "too many chiefs and not enough indians"................could that be part of the problem.

Many things have changed in the modern work-a-day world; the advent of computer technology, more and better educated workers, massive cost to support your employees (ie, insurance) to name a few. It took a long time for this financial pimple to develop and pop, so it'll a long time to heal over and look good again.

Just needed to get that off my chest; hope it offended nobody. Thanks for the forum.

LH Panther Mom
03-12-2009, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Old Dog
From where I stand, a reduction in pay is better than NO JOB AT ALL!
I agree! I would've GLADLY taken a pay cut last January as opposed to being laid off. Unfortunately, that wasn't an option. :(

Farmersfan
03-13-2009, 09:28 AM
I could be wrong but I believe the payscale for GM is contractual with the Union so a reduction in pay would be a Union thing. And it would never happen.

DDBooger
03-13-2009, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I could be wrong but I believe the payscale for GM is contractual with the Union so a reduction in pay would be a Union thing. And it would never happen. Actually they are renegotiating as we speak. I wonder if the CEOs of the big 3 will take a paycut and suspension of their perks?

Ranger Mom
03-13-2009, 02:08 PM
My boys, who all work for Patterson/UTI Drilling company, took a paycut this last paycheck....they are just happy to still be working!!

Farmersfan
03-13-2009, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
Actually they are renegotiating as we speak. I wonder if the CEOs of the big 3 will take a paycut and suspension of their perks?

Doubtful! But then again nether would most people if they were in that position.