PDA

View Full Version : UFL A New Football League To Debut In October

ILS1
03-11-2009, 02:50 PM
Former NFL coaches Dennis Green, Jim Fassel and Jim Haslett will lead teams in the new United Football League.

The league plans to debut in October with four teams in San Francisco, Las Vegas, Orlando and New York. It announced the coaches Wednesday.

Ex-NFL defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell will coach the New York franchise.

Green, the former Vikings and Cardinals coach, will be in San Francisco. Fassel, who led the Giants to the Super Bowl, will coach Las Vegas. Haslett, the ex-Saints coach, will be in Orlando.

The UFL is an outdoor professional football league. Teams are scheduled to play games in Hartford and Los Angeles along with the home markets.

The league also announced that the San Francisco franchise will play games at AT&T Park.

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ap-unitedfootballleague&prov=ap&type=lgns

Cats Fan
03-11-2009, 03:05 PM
the end results will be those of the XFL!

Keith7
03-11-2009, 03:21 PM
I'll only watch if there is no fair catches, cameras are allowed in the huddle, players can have whatever they want on the back of their Jerseys, the team that wins the championship game gets $1,000,000 and instead of a coin toss they have two players stand 40 yards apart and run head on to get a football.

ILS1
03-11-2009, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
I'll only watch if there is no fair catches, cameras are allowed in the huddle, players can have whatever they want on the back of their Jerseys, the team that wins the championship game gets $1,000,000 and instead of a coin toss they have two players stand 40 yards apart and run head on to get a football.

My only question is, why start in the middle of the NFL season? Do you think any NFL fan would rather watch them than an NFL game? I think not!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Emerson1
03-11-2009, 03:50 PM
They should be playing right now

sahen
03-11-2009, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1

bingo...the NFL is too powerful to let another pro football league survive that competets directly against it...with college on every night but sundays/monday in the fall (with some rare exceptions) and the nfl on every sunday/monday and after college thursdays there is no room for another football league....gotta make it in spring/summer to try to get the fans that are itching for football to begin....

Sweetwater Red
03-11-2009, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1

The USFL (for those that remember that far back) played their
2 or 2 and a half seasons during the spring before they folded.
They only lasted that long because they managed to snag the
likes of Jim Kelly, Hershal Walker, and others that I can't remember
off the top of my head.

Txbroadcaster
03-11-2009, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
The USFL (for those that remember that far back) played their
2 or 2 and a half seasons during the spring before they folded.
They only lasted that long because they managed to snag the
likes of Jim Kelly, Hershal Walker, and others that I can't remember
off the top of my head.

actually alot of their downfall was the big time players..They also filed the lawsuit agianst the NFL that they won..but only got a dollar out of it

If they had followed the Dixion plan like they were supposed to and stuck with a salary cap and staying on the March-June schedule I think the USFL could have been around alot longer.

Also they lost alot of funding when they DID vote to go to a fall schedule( that led to the lawsuit)

Looking4number8
03-11-2009, 04:38 PM
I tell you what I loved about the XFL. Everybody except the QB got payed the same. Then if your team won a game, every body got a bonus check. No super huge contract but the ability to make some pretty good money if you played hard and your team won.

ILS1
03-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
I tell you what I loved about the XFL. Everybody except the QB got payed the same. Then if your team won a game, every body got a bonus check. No super huge contract but the ability to make some pretty good money if you played hard and your team won.

Does anybody remember the MVP of the XFL's 1st season???

Tommy Maddox........

Sweetwater Red
03-11-2009, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
actually alot of their downfall was the big time players..They also filed the lawsuit agianst the NFL that they won..but only got a dollar out of it

If they had followed the Dixion plan like they were supposed to and stuck with a salary cap and staying on the March-June schedule I think the USFL could have been around alot longer.

Also they lost alot of funding when they DID vote to go to a fall schedule( that led to the lawsuit)

You remember it alot better than I do. :thumbsup:

The only thing I remember clearly is the Michigan Panthers winning
the championship with Bobby Herbert at QB. It was the following
year or the year after that the Panthers merged with the Oakland
Invaders and that's when I quit watching.

I saw a game a few years ago between Michigan and the New
Jersey Generals on ESPN Classic. The stadium might have been
a quarter full of fans.

Sweetwater Red
03-11-2009, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by ILS1

Tommy Maddox........

Showmethemoney?:thinking:

Looking4number8
03-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by ILS1

1st and only season

ILS1
03-11-2009, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
1st and only season

True dat!!!

:D :D :D

District303aPastPlayer
03-12-2009, 08:40 AM
the NFL hasn't announced if they will do a thursday night package yet, and they are trying to work together with the NFL if you heard Denny Greens interview