PDA

View Full Version : Graham's DC is leaving....

RedWhiteBlue
03-11-2009, 10:01 AM
GHS football/track coach takes job in Manor
Tuesday, March 10, 2009
Clay Stewart
By Clay Stewartsports@grahamleader.com
Graham High School will have a new boys track coach, a new defensive coordinator for the football team next year and a new teacher.
Coach Doug Handley has resigned to take the same position at Manor High School in the Austin area after four years at Graham High School.
Handley said the decision to leave Graham was not an easy one.
"When I started 24 years ago, my philosophy was that God gives each of us a gift of some kind," he said. "Mine is to work with young people. I’ve been fortunate to do that at five schools. I’ve loved the kids at every school. I feel that He pulls me in the direction he wants me to go and He pulls me through the doors that have opened."
Handley said that he didn’t seek the job but that he felt that pull again when Manor came calling.

"It’s been an honor and a pleasure to be here," he said. "I couldn’t have asked for a better situation when I came from Jim Ned, but I feel that door has opened again. I didn’t go looking, but it came to me."
He said all of the pieces fell into place in just the right way.
"I’ve always said in the latter part of my career I wanted to coach in that area," he said. "My wife’s parents are there, and we can help offer support for them and it all just seemed to work like it was supposed to work."
Handley will also be the boys track coach at the 4A school and will teach three classes. His leaving ends an 11-year run with Graham High School head coach and Athletic Director Brad McCoy.
"I wouldn’t trade those 11 years for anything in the world," he said.
Handley’s leaving is effective immediately and he met with GHS athletes on Monday. McCoy said the district has granted his release.
Coach Jim Walton, already the girls track coach, will become the boys track coach as well. But McCoy said in order to make sure the girls track stays at the same level, there will be a reorganization amoung the coaching staff to help handle any problems. Coach Brian Hodnett will become the boys track coordinator and will work closely with Walton.
Coaches Robert Sides, Robert Ownby, Kenny Davidson, Jason Briles and Angela Tate will work in specialized areas with both boys and girls.
"We wanted to make sure we get stronger with both the boys and girls," McCoy said. "This was the best way we felt we could do that."
McCoy said it’s difficult to lose a friend and colleague.
"In our profession, these things happen," he said. "It’s hard because we’re close and professional friends. We’ve had great years and we’ve had tough years together. When you’ve been through that many wars, it’s tough to part."
The move means the Graham coaching staff is now short two coaches, which McCoy said makes now a good time to reorganize on the football side of things as well. The hiring of a defensive coordinator could be an internal hire, as there is at least one coach with defensive coordinator experience on the current staff, but he’s not ruling out bringing in one from the outside either.
"But I’m also interested in bringing in an experience either as a head coach or a coordinator," McCoy said. "We want to make sure we are as strong as we can be coaching wise in all areas so that we can continue to make our kids better."

44INAROW
03-11-2009, 10:12 AM
I used to work with the girls track coach's brother in law.. Small world.:p

2Dogs
03-11-2009, 02:16 PM
I called that a few weeks back on the jobs board......
Don't know Coach Handley......but I'm gonna PRAY for him!
I don't think he knows what he's gotten himself into!!!!
Everything about Manor is NOT good.....He's gonna find a BIG difference between the Manor HC/AD and Coach McCoy

RedWhiteBlue
03-11-2009, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by 2Dogs
I called that a few weeks back on the jobs board......
Don't know Coach Handley......but I'm gonna PRAY for him!
I don't think he knows what he's gotten himself into!!!!
Everything about Manor is NOT good.....He's gonna find a BIG difference between the Manor HC/AD and Coach McCoy
Do you know the Manor HC/AD?

BwdLions
03-11-2009, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by 2Dogs
He's gonna find a BIG difference between the Manor HC/AD and Coach McCoy

I'll bet there's not that big of a difference 2Dogs.

RedWhiteBlue
03-11-2009, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by BwdLions
I'll bet there's not that big of a difference 2Dogs.
What does that mean?:confused:

NastySlot
03-11-2009, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I used to work with the girls track coach's brother in law.. Small world.:p

i used to work with the girls track coach.

RedWhiteBlue
03-12-2009, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
i used to work with the girls track coach.
Coach Walton is a great guy!!:D

2Dogs
03-12-2009, 11:59 PM
I know of the Manor coach and have friends who are in the know in that area...
From what I have heard and observed he isn't all there. What kinda guy takes a job (in Dallas), tells the kids that he's gonna stay w/ 'em and get 'em going only to leave after 3 months to go to Manor.
The guy tells everyone who'll listen to his nonsense how great he is 'cause he did a NFL summer internship...where he probably got those guys water and coffee....
Now does Coach McCoy do that kinda stuff?

2Dogs
03-23-2009, 02:41 PM
So....Graham guys ......how is Coach Handley loving Maynah???