PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to Lake Whitney SP?

bwdlionfan
03-10-2009, 12:58 PM
Am planning a camping trip to Lake Whitney State Park. I'm interested in fishing and hiking, the map of the park only shows one hiking trail. Anyone ever been?

Texas Cougar
03-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
Am planning a camping trip to Lake Whitney State Park. I'm interested in fishing and hiking, the map of the park only shows one hiking trail. Anyone ever been?

Lake Whitney SP is nice. Not sure about the hiking, but the fishing has been excellent. Stripers and Whites. Rabid Cougar used to be a Park Ranger there, maybe he will get on and fill you in more.

Rabid Cougar
03-10-2009, 06:26 PM
Worked on the lake for 13 years, know it well. The park is nice. They have one hiking trail but the park roads are very long and make for nice hiking and easy road or mountain biking.
Lots of deer.

The lake is over 10 feet low so lots of shoreline will be exposed which also makes for nice hiking and exploring.

Drive over to McCown Valley Park on FM 1713. You can access the Wildlife Area there. LOTS of hiking and mountain biking in there. Also Hopewell Trail up at Plowman Creek Park at Kopperl on FM 56 or at Kimball Bend on TX 174 at the Brazos River Birdge. Excellent Hiking and Mountain biking.

Fishing.... the sandies are running now so the Brazos River might be pretty good on the upper end or the Nolan..

bwdlionfan
03-10-2009, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the replies....

Is there an entrance fee to use McCown Valley Park or Plowman Creek Park?

Rabid Cougar
03-10-2009, 09:35 PM
No. They are both US Army Corps of Engineer parks.

McCown Valley - Just park in the Equestrian Area.
Plowman - Just park at the Gatehouse. The trail crosses the road about 100 feet in front of the Gatehouse.

Fal44
03-11-2009, 02:42 AM
Been there once, loved it... I thought this like was just gorgeous..