PDA

View Full Version : Stafford

westcoast54
03-07-2009, 10:08 PM
Anybody have any information about this program? Saw the AD/HC position posted on the job board.

SHSBulldog00
03-07-2009, 10:13 PM
Stafford has good boys and girls basketball. ALL the other sports are very poor. Discipline is what they are missing as a program. Stafford is a Municipal School District; this means that they are unable to grow as a school as Houston has swalled it up.

westcoast54
03-07-2009, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by SHSBulldog00
Stafford has good boys and girls basketball. ALL the other sports are very poor. Discipline is what they are missing as a program. Stafford is a Municipal School District; this means that they are unable to grow as a school as Houston has swalled it up.

Please excuse my ignorance but, what does municipal school district mean? What kind of demographics do they have?

raider red 2000
03-08-2009, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by westcoast54
Please excuse my ignorance but, what does municipal school district mean? What kind of demographics do they have?

they dont have a school board....the city council is in charge of the school.

they are the only MSD in the state i believe.

I. B. Watching
03-08-2009, 09:09 AM
Excuse my ignorance as well. But I wonder how a municipal school is formed? Can any town do that? Also, were you saying that Stafford is surrounded by Houston? Also, I guess they don't collect school taxes. Am I correct on that? This is interesting to me.

Bull's-eye
03-08-2009, 12:38 PM
Stafford was formerly in the Fort bend ISD. In 1977 they voted to break away from FBISD and form there own "small town" school district, which is controlled by the city. The reason they left FBISD was they didn't like their 2 mile rule for not bussing students. A lot of the Stafford students lived on or near Dulles ave (Dulles High School location) and had to find their own transportation to school. Stafford has a huge tax base due to many local & industrial businesses. I don't know about school taxes, but I believe there is no property taxes in Stafford. In 2007, Stafford MSD high school enrollment was 881 (85% minority).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stafford_Municipal_School_District

Bull's-eye
03-08-2009, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by I. B. Watching
Excuse my ignorance as well. But I wonder how a municipal school is formed? Can any town do that? Also, were you saying that Stafford is surrounded by Houston? Also, I guess they don't collect school taxes. Am I correct on that? This is interesting to me.

I think there has been a state law passed that keeps this from happening again. Yes, Stafford is the only MSD in Texas. Stafford is sandwiched between Houston & the Fort Bend Schools. I'm not sure about individual school taxes, could possibly just come out of their city taxes. I guess they could be limited by growth, not sure how much of Stafford has not been developed. Maybe a Stafford poster could fill us in a little more.

I. B. Watching
03-08-2009, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
I think there has been a state law passed that keeps this from happening again. Yes, Stafford is the only MSD in Texas. Stafford is sandwiched between Houston & the Fort Bend Schools. I'm not sure about individual school taxes, could possibly just come out of their city taxes. I guess they could be limited by growth, not sure how much of Stafford has not been developed. Maybe a Stafford poster could fill us in a little more.
Thanks for the info