PDA

View Full Version : Texas Longhorns lose to Kansas, Texas in or out?

FormerBellvilleBrahma
03-07-2009, 09:55 PM
Will Texas get in or will the Horns need to win in the Big 12 Tourney?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-07-2009, 11:42 PM
They have a lower RPI and a worse record than A&M, and even though we're now tied for the Big XII, with our RPI being higher, a better record, and a quality win against Missouri and winning 6 of the last 7, I would say A&M goes before Texas does.

injuredinmelee
03-08-2009, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
They have a lower RPI and a worse record than A&M, and even though we're now tied for the Big XII, with our RPI being higher, a better record, and a quality win against Missouri and winning 6 of the last 7, I would say A&M goes before Texas does.
I agree. Aggies def make a better case. Both need to do well in Conference Tourney.

griff
03-08-2009, 09:28 AM
One of the main factors the selection committee looks at is how well a team is playing in their last 10 - 12 games. A&M is playing their best basketball of the year and they have enough quality wins that will get them in. Texas will get in, as well, but probably have a lower seed than A&M. The Longhorns were playing so well at the beginning of the year, but their inexperience has shown in the last two months. Coach Barnes has grown some gray hair over this team.

What's exciting about A&M is the quality play they're getting from the younger guys and the bench. This bodes well for next year. It's obviously taken time for Coach Turgeon to install his system, which is totally different that Coach Gillespie's style. They played their best game of the year yesterday, and I think they can realistically make it to the third round, depending on their draw.

BwdLions
03-09-2009, 08:53 AM
Look at the quality wins Texas has this year compared to a&m. Much more impressive than a&m. Even though the Horns have been inconsistent this season, they'll be seeded higher than the ags (and should outlast the ags in the tourney).

I will say the aggies have been on a roll here at the end of the regular season. (There, I said something nice).

waterboy
03-09-2009, 08:54 AM
Texas will be in the tournament. They will likely be a 12 to 14 seed. Texas A&M might make it, but I think it depends on a couple of other teams on the bubble. I think both teams will be in. Just my opinion.

jason
03-09-2009, 09:23 AM
compared to a&m, texas is in, despite their inconsistency down the stretch they have more quality wins - having a higher rpi doesnt mean anything if you dont beat any of the good teams you play - would be surprised if they are more than a 10 seed...

a&m could go a few rounds..........................in the NIT........(that is my version of something nice)

navscanmaster
03-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by jason
compared to a&m, texas is in, despite their inconsistency down the stretch they have more quality wins - having a higher rpi doesnt mean anything if you dont beat any of the good teams you play - would be surprised if they are more than a 10 seed...

a&m could go a few rounds..........................in the NIT........(that is my version of something nice)

Originally posted by BwdLions
Look at the quality wins Texas has this year compared to a&m. Much more impressive than a&m. Even though the Horns have been inconsistent this season, they'll be seeded higher than the ags (and should outlast the ags in the tourney).

I will say the aggies have been on a roll here at the end of the regular season. (There, I said something nice).

:rolleyes: I guess I will never understand why Aggie bashing is such an accepted thing on here. I don't bash everything Longhorn related........oh well.

STAggie
03-09-2009, 11:05 AM
The Ags are in and the Longhorns will be too. A&M is better built for the dance then TU. The Longhorns are very inconsistent and don't have one player who can step up and be counted on. The Ags have been inconsistent but as long as they keep running the offense through the big guys they will make some noise. If you think A&M's resume isn't better than the Longhorns you don't know much about basketball. With that being said TU gets in because of the name on the jersey, much like Kentucky.

eagles_victory
03-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Both teams are in right now... if either makes an early exit in the conference tournament it could get a little bit scary for both of them. Texas wont be a 12-14 seed as said earlier when you come in as an at large the very highest seed you will get is a 12 seed very very rarely do you see an at large bid a 13. 9 times out of 10 the 13-16 seeds are for automatic bids from smaller conferences. Id say both are around a 9 or 10 seed right now personally id put A&M as a 9 and Texas as a 10 right now.

eagles_victory
03-09-2009, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
:rolleyes: I guess I will never understand why Aggie bashing is such an accepted thing on here. I don't bash everything Longhorn related........oh well. It goes both ways see post below yours.

BreckTxLonghorn
03-09-2009, 11:17 AM
They'll bot get in, pending a decent showing in the tournament. I think Texas gets a higher seed only because of their work earlier in the season (wins vs UCLA (home), Wisconsin(away), & 'Nova (neutral), very close loss to Michigan State(neutral)). If I was aTm, I'd be hoping to be slightly overlooked and get a 12 seed. Someone ALWAYS upsets the #5 every year, and A&M is hot enough right now to go a few rounds. Right now, Texas A&M is playing better basketball, and they're past 10-12 games will get them in. But as for seeding, they just don't have enough quality wins away from home(@ Bama, @ Colorado are the two best). Not trying to bash, just my opinion.

Honestly, if I was an opposing team, I'd hope to play Texas over aTm in the tournament. I just don't think the seeding will show A&M higher.

Maroon87
03-09-2009, 11:24 AM
I think it's funny that ESPN was debating if Georgetown was in with a 4-10 conference record at the same time they had Texas on the bubble at 8-6 in conference. Typical northeast homer job.

BwdLions
03-09-2009, 11:26 AM
:rolleyes: I guess I will never understand why Aggie bashing is such an accepted thing on here. I don't bash everything Longhorn related........oh well.

You call that bashing? Good grief, lighten up Francis. I predict Texas getting a #9 seed and a&m getting a #11 seed.

pirate4state
03-09-2009, 11:29 AM
:rolleyes: I guess I will never understand why Aggie bashing is such an accepted thing on here. I don't bash everything Longhorn related........oh well. Seriously? That's no where close to what I would consider bashing.

STAggie
03-09-2009, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
It goes both ways see post below yours.

How did I bash the Longhorns? Also, @ Colorado is in no way a quality win. How about beating the #12 Missouri? Or LSU on a neutral court?

BreckTxLonghorn
03-09-2009, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by STAggie
How did I bash the Longhorns? Also, @ Colorado is in no way a quality win. How about beating the #12 Missouri? Or LSU on a neutral court?

Totally missed/overlooked that on LSU. My bad.

You beat Mizzou at home. My point was quality wins away from home. LSU is the only tournament team beaten on the road outside of conference. Considering all tourney games are away from home, that's a big deal. You still get in, I just think that stat affects seeding.
(FYI I'm going off espn.com here so I don't know if there are any other neutral court games that I'm not seeing. If so apologies in advance; I'll correct once I get word.)

STAggie
03-09-2009, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Totally missed/overlooked that on LSU. My bad.

You beat Mizzou at home. My point was quality wins away from home. LSU is the only tournament team beaten on the road outside of conference. Considering all tourney games are away from home, that's a big deal. You still get in, I just think that stat affects seeding.
(FYI I'm going off espn.com here so I don't know if there are any other neutral court games that I'm not seeing. If so apologies in advance; I'll correct once I get word.)

Thats really the only one. I figured you didn't think about that LSU win, as it was way back in December. I think we will be fine but I hope our hot streak continues through the Big XII tourny. If UT can find its game they will make some noise but their biggest problem this year has been their lack of leadership on the court.

Sweetwater Red
03-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma
Will Texas get in or will the Horns need to win in the Big 12 Tourney?

According to Joe Lunardi on ESPN...not only are they going to get in...
they will be a #8 seed. The last four in are South Carolina,
Maryland, Michigan, and New Mexico. The last four out are Arizona,
Kentucky, Providence, and San Diego St..

I wonder when the last time it was that Arizona and Kentucky
were both playing in the N.I.T.?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

coach
03-09-2009, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
According to Joe Lunardi on ESPN...not only are they going to get in...
they will be a #8 seed. The last four in are South Carolina,
Maryland, Michigan, and New Mexico. The last four out are Arizona,
Kentucky, Providence, and San Diego St..

I wonder when the last time it was that Arizona and Kentucky
were both playing in the N.I.T.?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

i thinkk it was in the 80's for kentucky