PDA

View Full Version : World Baseball Classic

TexasHSFootball
03-07-2009, 01:51 PM
So far...

The Netherlands leads the Dominican Republic 3-2 in the 9th inning ...

to put this in perspective, this is equal to a 15 seed beating a 2 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

The United States plays Canada on ESPN at 1pm with the US being the home team in Toronto.

Japan has clinched a berth in the 2nd round with a rout over Korea 14-2. Korea plays at 4am Sunday vs China in an elimination game. Taipei has been eliminated.

eagles_victory
03-07-2009, 01:53 PM
I cant wait for the US game at 1. Im a huge fan of international competitons so I love the World Cup,Olympics, World Championships, WBC and stuff like this.

Electus Unus
03-07-2009, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
I cant wait for the US game at 1. Im a huge fan of international competitons so I love the World Cup,Olympics, World Championships, WBC and stuff like this. Well you will be in for a treat when next year the 2010 FIFA World cup gets good!

eagles_victory
03-07-2009, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
Well you will be in for a treat when next year the 2010 FIFA World cup gets good! I LOVE the World Cup. Ill probably take off of work to watch the US play games next summer.

TexasHSFootball
03-07-2009, 02:13 PM
DAVID BEATS GOLIATH - NETHERLANDS 3 DOMINICAN REPUBLIC 2

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

NastySlot
03-07-2009, 11:05 PM
aren't most of the players for the netherlands from curacao (sp)....the make up a good part of the pro league in the netherlands. i think at one time or even still davey johnson coached in that league

sahen
03-08-2009, 02:46 PM
USA won a nail biter over Canada 6-5.....Latroy Hawkins (Astros Relief Pitcher) gets the win.....Oswalt gets the start tonight against Venezuela, winner advances to the next round....

eagles_victory
03-08-2009, 07:06 PM
This is going to be tough Venezula has a good team this year.

sahen
03-08-2009, 09:42 PM
USA is wailing on Venezuela right now....impressive show so far, hopefully they keep it up and close this one out....

sahen
03-08-2009, 10:50 PM
15-6 route by USA to assure a spot in the 2nd round....impressive win by team USA against a Venezuelan team loaded w/ MLB players!

sahen
03-10-2009, 09:32 PM
and the Netherlands just take out the Dominicans for the 2nd time, 2-1 in the 11th....great game, 0-0 through 10 and then the Dominicans score one off an error in the 11th....Dominicans take Marmol out of their pen to close it out and then the Dutch get a leadoff double and move the guy to 3rd...the right fielder who had the error singles in the tying run and moves to third on a botched pickoff throw to first....an out followed by an intentional walk then a scortcher down the first baseline that the first basemen of the Dominican couldnt hold on to leading to that same right fielder scoring the winning run...great stuff

and i forgot to add at first...the Dominicans (expected to challenge seriously for the title) are eliminated with this loss while the Netherlands (expected to go 0-2 in 2 routes) are moving on to the next round....they will play Puerto Rico tomorrow for the top seed out of their bracket, they nearly beat Puerto Rico (in Puerto Rico at that) yesterday....

TexasHSFootball
03-10-2009, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by sahen
and the Netherlands just take out the Dominicans for the 2nd time, 2-1 in the 11th....great game, 0-0 through 10 and then the Dominicans score one off an error in the 11th....Dominicans take Marmol out of their pen to close it out and then the Dutch get a leadoff double and move the guy to 3rd...the right fielder who had the error singles in the tying run and moves to third on a botched pickoff throw to first....an out followed by an intentional walk then a scortcher down the first baseline that the first basemen of the Dominican couldnt hold on to leading to that same right fielder scoring the winning run...great stuff

and i forgot to add at first...the Dominicans (expected to challenge seriously for the title) are eliminated with this loss while the Netherlands (expected to go 0-2 in 2 routes) are moving on to the next round....they will play Puerto Rico tomorrow for the top seed out of their bracket, they nearly beat Puerto Rico (in Puerto Rico at that) yesterday....

for some of you.. let me put it into simple terms .. this is equal to a 15 seed beating a 2 seed in the NCAA Tournament and getting to the third round.

just simply unbelievable! :eek: :eek: :eek:

sahen
03-11-2009, 12:40 AM
if this were the ncaa then the dutch wouldnt have even gotten in while the dominicans would prolly be conference champs....prolly closer to a 16 beating a 1 but i get where your coming from by seeding all the teams in the tournament....

for them to beat them once was shocking (but due to the nature of baseball not too crazy), twice is unbelievable...quite possibily the biggest upset in international baseball history...what is weird is the way the dutch have done it, by basically shutting down teh dominican lineup with their pitching who is mainly no name guys from the dutch pro leagues.....their pitching also shutdown puerto rico for 7 innings last night, unfortunately they allowed 3 in the bottom of the 8th and lost 3-1...they will get another shot tomorrow....

on a side note, if the dutch lose tomorrow and USA wins then they will play each other in the next round...conversely if the dutch win and the USA loses then they will also play each other...could be interesting to see if they can shut down the American hitters...