PDA

View Full Version : The Trojan State of Affairs... Read only if you're interested...

SoldierOfTroy
09-28-2003, 10:46 PM
Many heads (both inside and outside of Coldspring) have been shaking with disappointment at the 2003 Trojans. It's easy to point fingers and make excuses, but real players accept the truth and don't try and fool themselves or anyone else. The situation in Coldspring is simple. The 2002 team lost over 20 senior letterman who were pretty much all impact players in one way or another and where the back bone of a 17-8 two time playoff stretch... For all doubters out there, yes it is true that Taurian Lagway has sub 4.4 speed. How sub 4.4 that speed is is yet to be seen, but I say let's get him of the stop watch, on the laser timers, and find out. He's not producing like he's used to because he doesn't have hawses like he had last year and the year before blocking for him anymore. The coach of the 2001 and 2002 Trojans brought a great option attack to Coldspring, but the one thing that held those teams back (especially the athletes of the 2002 team) was a lack of overall discipline. The coach simply wasn't prepared for the mess that he found Coldspring Athletics in.... I can say this; the 2003 Trojans will struggle, and most likely will miss the playoffs and finish with L's Cleveland, the Hill, Liberty, and Splendora.... BUT, this new coaching staff (with the support from the parents, which is sorely needed in this East Texas Town) will bring back that old school, smash mouth, Mighty Trojan mentality. Last year, Coldspring NEVER faced a team with better athletes at any position (with the exception of kicker)... From athlete-dense Liberty to the prestigious Hill to La Grange, CHS had athletes at every position that where just as good if not better than their counterparts on the opposing sideline. With the holes in the team and the new system, it will take time... but I anticipate CHS that will be perennial contenders for the district crown (no matter how the UIL Realigns) and state bragging rights... there is something to feel good about in Coldspring Texas.

trojandad
09-29-2003, 08:49 AM
Holy Underwear, RBarker..... REINFORCEMENTS!!! lol

Geez, what a paragraph. For the most part I agree with Soldier (I get to spend today finding out who this masked man is, lol). I do feel we had a set of athletes to go all the way last year which has been proven by the D1 efforts to recruit them last year. And last year's coach did have a discipline problem to deal with but, IMO brought his own set of problems that added to the problem. After all, I think everyone here knows that 9-3 coaches aren't "reassigned" without other attaching problems. But the quality of athlete last year covered a multitued of mistakes and sins.

I haven't dealt this route as Soldier has, but now that he opened up what he has, there is one other HUGE point that has surprised me. Having had a black player living with us last year, I heard the guys complain a lot about, their words, "having the black coached out of them", meaning the powers that be didn't like their celebrations, the way they motivated themselves, etc. So when Coach Lymas was hired, a black man with a black OC, this came as a first for Coldspring and I thought he would be a glue for the athletes and the community. Well, the players have enjoyed him a lot, with kids playing now that haven't played for years.

But Coach Lymas has filled me in on black parents doing things like asking him if he's really black, inferring Uncle Tom slurs, the kind of thing that white parents would face legal problems for. And all, according to Coach Lymas, because they expected a black coach to field an all black team. Thank God he's a strong man who treats all of his kids equal and plays them according to their work ethic.

Players like Lagway (I love that guy to bits irregardless) have been rebellious to strict workout responsibilities like Soldier said, and have been sat down more than they would like because of it, but everyone here in a disciplined program knows that firmness reaps benefits later.

It's sad for me to see my son's senior year with a less than glowing record, but I knew it wouldn't be the best to change his last year, but change had to happen for many reasons, some that didn't have anything to do with football. But as long as these guys hang tough, I'm gonna believe they are close to turning things around. I'm not gonna concede district games before they are played. These guys read my posts and I want them, Killa, all our supporters to know I believe in their effort and know that in the same way our record was better than our play last year, our record is worse than our play is this year so far.

SoldierOfTroy
09-29-2003, 12:30 PM
TD, i couldn't agree more... a black headcoach was thought so help solve the problems of the black atheletes in coldspring, but the coach was never the case... the blame ultimately falls on the parents of the black atheltes. it's obvious who's parents are a staple in their everyday lives (as is the case of a ryan bradford who is a supurb athelete and person) and who's parents are raising kids while still attempting to grow up themselves. as for your son, i to hate that a guy as upbeat and jovial as he as to endure a senior yr such as this one. but i can say one thing, at least he's happy now and doesn't have to wonder what the coaching staff thinks about him (and you know what BS he had to go through last year i'm talking about). do me a favor, give him this advice... to take what he learns from the battles he fights as a student-athelete and apply it to the battles he'll fight in his everyday life. last year's woe's and this year's stuggling team will make him a stronger man. that, in essence, is why we play the game (along with the enjoyment of man-handling our san jac county counterparts on a year in and year out basis).... as for who i am, that's of no importantce... just know that i am part of the trojan faithful hoping for the best... and that i'm someone who was tired of seeing you rep our tiny east texas town all by your lonesome...

Old Cardinal
09-29-2003, 01:08 PM
I am just curious, did it seem that Cleveland has solved some of their discipline problems? A win was not surprising; but a big win of the caliber of that ballgame, I would think was impossible for a team that held on every play at the beginning of the season...TrojanDad, at the first of the year you claimed a 4.2 and a 4.3 speed on the 40m, who is the other player with world class speed?

jykoy
09-29-2003, 01:27 PM
Side note: I remember Bellville losing to Coldspring in the 1993 playoffs. They were a hard nosed group of guys and battled Bellville rightfully so. It is a shame that their program has fallen apart. (Or so I think I read)...
Good luck to those guys. I hope it turns around.

RBARKER
09-29-2003, 02:28 PM
Welcome to the board Soldier it's always nice to have someone I district on here. Coldsprings looks like this year will be a learning year ,but If they dont give up and keep going they can at least make the district more interesting. Good luck against Splendora this team is looking good should be a tough contest.

trojandad
09-29-2003, 04:06 PM
Old Card, I didn't claim anything, for the zillionth time, I read what was on the walls, never claimed world class speed, and am pretty tired of your childish responses about it. I've said several times, call the athletic director (936) 653-1123, he'll verify whatever info you need. I'm too busy to waste breath on petty arguments. Shoo!

As for Cleveland, they do appear to have the discipline problems handled, but I felt they had done that the moment Coach C came to town. They have basically the same team they had last year with a new QB. As I said, I felt we lost it that badly, not that they won it by 40. My feelings tho, could be dead wrong. No "world class" knowldege here. (Geez louise)