PDA

View Full Version : Role Models

Farmersfan
03-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Things are slow on the forum these days so I will kick off a new topic every couple of days to try and get it rolling.

I have recently become very disenchanted with the portrayal of middle aged white males in television. Whether intentional or completely coincidental it seems TV is making the white male role model a laughing stock in American society. We complain always about our kids viewing the T.O.'s , Iversons or Labrons of the world as role models yet on every single channel on the TV these days all we see about the middle aged white male is comedies about how inept and ridiculous they are. Home Improvement, King of Queens, Everyone Loves Raymond, Still Standing, Rodney Carrington, According to Jim, American Dad, The Simpsons, The Bill Engvall show, The Drew Carey show, Two and a Half Men, How I met your mother and Married with Children are just a few examples of the most popular Sitscoms recently. They all show the white male family head as a bumbling, stumbling, un-cool, uncouth idiot who is at the whim of his wife who is normally way too hot for him. It sickens me to watch the "Raymonds" on these shows beg for sex like a dog and get scolded for their complete lack of domestic abilities. The only thing lacking would be a swat on the nose with a newspaper. I have worked very hard in my life to make sure that I was a PARTNER with my spouse and not a dependant overgrown child who requires her to prepare my meals and pick out my matching clothes. And I honestly believe most other men have also. Am I being a little too sensitive to this or is there truely a trend developing.

Phil C
03-06-2009, 10:40 AM
BRING BACK MARSHALL MATT DILLION AND SHERIFF CLAY HOLLISTER!

:mad:

ronwx5x
03-06-2009, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
Things are slow on the forum these days so I will kick off a new topic every couple of days to try and get it rolling.

I have recently become very disenchanted with the portrayal of middle aged white males in television. Whether intentional or completely coincidental it seems TV is making the white male role model a laughing stock in American society. We complain always about our kids viewing the T.O.'s , Iversons or Labrons of the world as role models yet on every single channel on the TV these days all we see about the middle aged white male is comedies about how inept and ridiculous they are. Home Improvement, King of Queens, Everyone Loves Raymond, Still Standing, Rodney Carrington, According to Jim, American Dad, The Simpsons, The Bill Engvall show, The Drew Carey show, Two and a Half Men, How I met your mother and Married with Children are just a few examples of the most popular Sitscoms recently. They all show the white male family head as a bumbling, stumbling, un-cool, uncouth idiot who is at the whim of his wife who is normally way too hot for him. It sickens me to watch the "Raymonds" on these shows beg for sex like a dog and get scolded for their complete lack of domestic abilities. The only thing lacking would be a swat on the nose with a newspaper. I have worked very hard in my life to make sure that I was a PARTNER with my spouse and not a dependant overgrown child who requires her to prepare my meals and pick out my matching clothes. And I honestly believe most other men have also. Am I being a little too sensitive to this or is there truely a trend developing.

And all black males are comedians? I'm like you and hope I'm not in the minority (of husbands, not ethinicly speaking).

Like most entertainment, tv shows are created based on what people will watch and are designed for a specific target market. As long as people watch this kind of stereotype, they will continue to be aired. This speaks to the general idea of what is entertaining.

Ranger Mom
03-06-2009, 11:14 AM

Maybe you watch too much TV??:p

I have never even watched half of those you have listed.....I guess I am too busy henpecking my husband!!:D

crzyjournalist03
03-06-2009, 11:23 AM
I watched the movie Role Models and thought it was pretty funny.

Emerson1
03-06-2009, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
this

WylieBulldog92
03-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
When I opened this thread I was pretty sure this is what he was going to talk about....
I was wrong.

PPHSfan
03-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Wait just a minute there pal. LOL

Homer Simpson may play the part of the bumbling idiot, but think about this. At the end of the show he always wins. He loves his wife and children with his heart and soul. He has a job and pays his mortgage, taxes, and his bills. He eats dinner every night at the table with the entire family, goes to church on Sunday, and is surrounded with many friends. I personally would not mind living next door to Homer Simpson.

P.S. I pray to God every night, and ask him to let me be half the man that Hank Hill is too.

Old Dog
03-08-2009, 02:43 PM
Everything that is part of traditional main stream America is made fun of now days. Middle Americas don't have time to spent carping about the way they are looked down upon by most everyone, yet that group is carrying the biggest load of taxes in history. We are told to just keep your head down and work so you can support all those that are illegal, lazy or dishonest. And now that we have a genuine financial crisis on our hands, it is even worse! Someday I fear it will all come crashing down and we might not be able to recover at all. It took 20 years and a world war to get out from under the great depression of 1929.

Farmersfan
03-09-2009, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Old Dog
Everything that is part of traditional main stream America is made fun of now days. Middle Americas don't have time to spent carping about the way they are looked down upon by most everyone, yet that group is carrying the biggest load of taxes in history. We are told to just keep your head down and work so you can support all those that are illegal, lazy or dishonest. And now that we have a genuine financial crisis on our hands, it is even worse! Someday I fear it will all come crashing down and we might not be able to recover at all. It took 20 years and a world war to get out from under the great depression of 1929.

Middle Americans ARE "everyone"! The wealthy and the poor are the exceptions. And it has been proven many, many times that the wealthy carry the biggest load of taxes in history. I believe it was stated that 10 percent of Americans pay 70% of the taxes in this country. Most "middle Americans" paid less than 10% of their income into Federal taxes. I fit into this class but also realize our current economic condition comes from this class. It's the middle class Americans who bought the homes they could not afford. It's the middle class Americans who caused the forclosure rates and bankruptcy rates to go through the roof. It's us who carry credit card debts that eat up any hope of getting out of debt. Of course we blame the banks and the government for allowing us to buy the 300k homes on a 50K income or drive the 50,000 dollar SUV when our budget would call for a 15,000 vehicle. We can point at the sub-prime loans that the Democrats forced on the banking industry but even a subprime loan would work out if the person applying for the loan had purchased a property they could afford. We all know the credit industry is nothing but a bunch of crooks but they would not exist without America's need for credit. The government is not the reason for our problems anymore than they can be the cure..............

ronwx5x
03-09-2009, 10:22 AM
Middle Americans ARE "everyone"! The wealthy and the poor are the exceptions. And it has been proven many, many times that the wealthy carry the biggest load of taxes in history. I believe it was stated that 10 percent of Americans pay 70% of the taxes in this country. Most "middle Americans" paid less than 10% of their income into Federal taxes. I fit into this class but also realize our current economic condition comes from this class. It's the middle class Americans who bought the homes they could not afford. It's the middle class Americans who caused the forclosure rates and bankruptcy rates to go through the roof. It's us who carry credit card debts that eat up any hope of getting out of debt. Of course we blame the banks and the government for allowing us to buy the 300k homes on a 50K income or drive the 50,000 dollar SUV when our budget would call for a 15,000 vehicle. We can point at the sub-prime loans that the Democrats forced on the banking industry but even a subprime loan would work out if the person applying for the loan had purchased a property they could afford. We all know the credit industry is nothing but a bunch of crooks but they would not exist without America's need for credit. The government is not the reason for our problems anymore than they can be the cure..............

Farmer, scary as it is I agree with almost everything you say here except the part about the credit industry being a bunch of thieves. There are bad ones out there but I believe the majority serve a legitimate purpose and are legitimate lenders. As you stated, much of our current problems in the mortgage markets stem from their being forced by Congress (read Barney Frank) to make credit available to less qualified buyers. Yes, they loaned too much money to people who obviously could not afford that much debt, but it was at the implied will of our Congress at the time. Now that Fannie and Freddy have essentially gone under, the government support has disappeared and the foreclosures have skyrocketed. Where is that "implied backing" that the government touted?

When the bad loans finally get ironed out we need to insure that Congress gets out of the mortgage decision business. They (Congress) have no business telling our banks and lenders who they should lend to. Concentrate on those usurious credit card rates and let lenders decide to whom to lend.

Farmersfan
03-09-2009, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Farmer, scary as it is I agree with almost everything you say here except the part about the credit industry being a bunch of thieves. There are bad ones out there but I believe the majority serve a legitimate purpose and are legitimate lenders. As you stated, much of our current problems in the mortgage markets stem from their being forced by Congress (read Barney Frank) to make credit available to less qualified buyers. Yes, they loaned too much money to people who obviously could not afford that much debt, but it was at the implied will of our Congress at the time. Now that Fannie and Freddy have essentially gone under, the government support has disappeared and the foreclosures have skyrocketed. Where is that "implied backing" that the government touted?

When the bad loans finally get ironed out we need to insure that Congress gets out of the mortgage decision business. They (Congress) have no business telling our banks and lenders who they should lend to. Concentrate on those usurious credit card rates and let lenders decide to whom to lend.

That is truely scary! I agree with me all the time and it turns out ok but I have had years of experience.......:D :D :D

ronwx5x
03-09-2009, 02:29 PM
That is truely scary! I agree with me all the time and it turns out ok but I have had years of experience.......:D :D :D

Dollars to donuts I have more years, if not more experience!:p

I_DONT_CARE
03-09-2009, 04:59 PM

IF YOU DON'T LIKE HOW MIDDLE AGED WHITE MEN ARE BEING PORTRAYED ON TV --- TURN IT OFF OR CHANGE THE CHANNEL. IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!

YES, YOU ARE BEING TOO SENSITIVE. :rolleyes:

Sweetwater Red
03-10-2009, 12:17 PM

George Lopez...Bernie Mac...Damon Wayans....:thinking:

Looking4number8
03-10-2009, 02:09 PM
Hey Famersfan, I am with you. I have a friends that gets so mad at commercials because if there is a stupid person on the commercial is always a white male.

At ever commercial he says "Stupid white male" and he is most always correct. It does get very old!

Farmersfan
03-11-2009, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by I_DONT_CARE
IF YOU DON'T LIKE HOW MIDDLE AGED WHITE MEN ARE BEING PORTRAYED ON TV --- TURN IT OFF OR CHANGE THE CHANNEL. IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!

YES, YOU ARE BEING TOO SENSITIVE. :rolleyes:

Perhaps you are not sensitive enough! Would it be acceptable in today's society if the majority of sitcoms showed all women as gold diggers or always husband hunting? Would it be tolerated if they showed most Black men as pimps? How about if they portrayed all Hispanics as illegal aliens? No! Even a small stereotype about miniorities on TV raises the hackles of the minority rights activists. To date we don't have a rights activist group for the lowly middle aged white male. Even though they make up the majority of the population. So I would diffenently say YOU are not being sensitive enough!

pirate4state
03-11-2009, 02:40 PM
man, i thought this thread was about the movie. i rented it today. can't wait to watch it!

DDBooger
03-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Perhaps you are not sensitive enough! Would it be acceptable in today's society if the majority of sitcoms showed all women as gold diggers or always husband hunting? Would it be tolerated if they showed most Black men as pimps? How about if they portrayed all Hispanics as illegal aliens? No! Even a small stereotype about miniorities on TV raises the hackles of the minority rights activists. To date we don't have a rights activist group for the lowly middle aged white male. Even though they make up the majority of the population. So I would diffenently say YOU are not being sensitive enough! Farmersfan you raise some great sociological questions! haha In fact I think I'm gonna use this idea with my qualitative analysis class. What you are complaining about is the Lovable loser portrayal. Silly, middle class white male portrayed on tv. Just the same, you can find several examples of bada$$ middle aged white men. You just have to look at different genres. The family man is always portrayed as silly, across race divisions as some pointed up top (George Lopez, Bernie Mac...R.I.P.) :D

DDBooger
03-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
man, i thought this thread was about the movie. i rented it today. can't wait to watch it! It's hilarious! I bought it yesterday

Farmersfan
03-11-2009, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
Farmersfan you raise some great sociological questions! haha In fact I think I'm gonna use this idea with my qualitative analysis class. What you are complaining about is the Lovable loser portrayal. Silly, middle class white male portrayed on tv. Just the same, you can find several examples of bada$$ middle aged white men. You just have to look at different genres. The family man is always portrayed as silly, across race divisions as some pointed up top (George Lopez, Bernie Mac...R.I.P.) :D

George Lopez, Bernie Mac, D.L. Hugley, Damon Wayens, and even Martin Payne are all shown as strong men. Funny and social morons at times but still strong, in-charge men. They are hip and up with modern culture.
None of the white men I mentioned would be claissified that way.......

SintonFan
03-11-2009, 09:46 PM
George Lopez, Bernie Mac, D.L. Hugley, Damon Wayens, and even Martin Payne are all shown as strong men. Funny and social morons at times but still strong, in-charge men. They are hip and up with modern culture.
None of the white men I mentioned would be claissified that way.......
Farmersfan, I have advocated turning off the TV for youngsters for some time now. There are several families close to me who have done the same(with much larger families btw lol). What IS portrayed on TV is entertainment but it is folly to believe that it has no influence on young minds.
We do watch movies weekly and some TV(on the weekends) but it is more Discovery and History Channel orientated(my guilty pleasure is South Park and Family Guy, which has more of the same you mention and Scrubs watched with my wife). When we watch movies we tend to sit down with the kids and discuss all parts of the plot and such.
I say let us ALL read more and work our minds in a more healthy way than the zombification TV tends to produce.
Maybe you should head a coalition to bring this slanted portrayal to the forefront? I have seen this for quite some time.
Ignore I_DONT_CARE as that person must quite often enjoy their own personally induced scents for pleasure.

pirate4state
03-13-2009, 03:16 PM
wow, that's amazing!

LOL

<-------------

Farmersfan
03-13-2009, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
wow, that's amazing!

LOL

<-------------

?????????

I_DONT_CARE
03-13-2009, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
I say let us ALL read more and work our minds in a more healthy way than the zombification TV tends to produce.
Ignore I_DONT_CARE as that person must quite often enjoy their own personally induced scents for pleasure.
AREN'T YOU THE DUDE WHO CONSTANTLY BUYS INTO ALL THE MEDIA GARBAGE SPEWED ABOUT THE ECONOMY AND RELATED MATTERS? WHO IS ZOMBIFIED? SOUNDS LIKE YOU MIGHT BE.

I'M PERFECTLY FINE WITH BEING IGNORED! AT LEAST I DON'T INSIST ON WATCHING PROGRAMS, INCLUDING NEWS, THAT I DON'T ENJOY AND THEN COMPLAIN ABOUT THEM! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I_Do_Care
03-13-2009, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by I_DONT_CARE
AREN'T YOU THE DUDE WHO CONSTANTLY BUYS INTO ALL THE MEDIA GARBAGE SPEWED ABOUT THE ECONOMY AND RELATED MATTERS? WHO IS ZOMBIFIED? SOUNDS LIKE YOU MIGHT BE.

I'M PERFECTLY FINE WITH BEING IGNORED! AT LEAST I DON'T INSIST ON WATCHING PROGRAMS, INCLUDING NEWS, THAT I DON'T ENJOY AND THEN COMPLAIN ABOUT THEM! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: haha need a hug? :clap: