PDA

View Full Version : The Golf Thread

Bullaholic
03-04-2009, 04:24 PM
I'm not a golfer, but I enjoy hearing golfers talk about the sport.

Best Course?
Best Driver?
Best Irons?
Best Putter?
Best Wedge?
Best Ball?
Best Clubhouse?
Hardest Course?
Your Handicap?
Your Best Round?
Ever Made a Hole-In-One?

How are teams scored for tournaments considering handicaps?
What are some of your favorite side-bet schemes?

jason
03-04-2009, 04:31 PM
Best Course?
lago vista

Best Driver?
titleist 909d3

Best Irons?
callaway x20 tour

Best Putter?
ping b60i

Best Wedge?
cleveland cg10

Best Ball?
titleist prov1

Best Clubhouse?
harbour lakes

Hardest Course?
sugar tree

Your Handicap?

Your Best Round?
71 @ par country club

i did shoot a 33 on the front nine of my home course last thursday but had to stop due to darkness

Ever Made a Hole-In-One?
no

only bet people i know i can beat - which is most

Emerson1
03-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Really jason every club you own is the best? You will never again upgrade?

CenTexSports
03-04-2009, 04:40 PM
Best Course? I have played - Old Waverly (Mississippi) Pinehurst and several Hilton Head courses
Best Driver? Cobra F Series
Best Irons? Calloway
Best Putter? They all treat me bad but Oddesey Two Ball
Best Wedge? Volkey
Best Ball? Pro V1
Best Clubhouse? There are many great ones
Hardest Course? Pinehurst #2
Your Handicap? 3 on the card but certainly not playing to it now
Your Best Round? 64 (six birdies and 12 pars on a par 70)
Ever Made a Hole-In-One? One but I have witnessed 9 or 10

Bullaholic
03-04-2009, 04:42 PM
Tell me how a "scramble" works...

How about a "shotgun" start?

Emerson1
03-04-2009, 04:44 PM
You have teams of how ever many players you want.

Each person on the team takes a shot. After everyone hits you see who had the best shot, and then everyone on the team goes and gets there ball and drops it by that shot. Repeat.

jason
03-04-2009, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Really jason every club you own is the best? You will never again upgrade? there might be something in the future thats better - but at this point in time, and the way im playing - what i have is the best :D

Pick6
03-04-2009, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by jason

only bet people i know i can beat - which is most

Jason fears Pick6 on the course :D

CenTexSports
03-04-2009, 04:48 PM
Scramble - Every player on the team hits a shot and the team or Captain decides which is best and everyone hits from this spot. Repeat this until the ball is holed. Warning: If you are playing in a big money scramble or with a pro, do not let someone on the team tap in a ball if others are still putting for a lower score.

A boss of mine was playing with Chi Chi in a pro am one time and he tapped the ball in before the rest of the team putted for birdie and it counted. In most local tournaments, this won't get called but it could cost your team a stroke.

A lot of casual golfers confuse best ball and scramble. Best ball is an individual game where everyone on the team plays his or her own ball and the lowest score is counted. A scramble is where everyone hits from the same spot every time.

Shotgun start - Groups of golfers on every hole and everyone starts at the same time. Usually with a starters pistol, fog horn, or on a rural course, a shotgun.

Bullaholic
03-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
Scramble - Every player on the team hits a shot and the team or Captain decides which is best and everyone hits from this spot. Repeat this until the ball is holed. Warning: If you are playing in a big money scramble or with a pro, do not let someone on the team tap in a ball if others are still putting for a lower score.

A boss of mine was playing with Chi Chi in a pro am one time and he tapped the ball in before the rest of the team putted for birdie and it counted. In most local tournaments, this won't get called but it could cost your team a stroke.

A lot of casual golfers confuse best ball and scramble. Best ball is an individual game where everyone on the team plays his or her own ball and the lowest score is counted. A scramble is where everyone hits from the same spot every time.

Shotgun start - Groups of golfers on every hole and everyone starts at the same time. Usually with a starters pistol, fog horn, or on a rural course, a shotgun.

Good explanations, all---but isn't there a game played based on "first on-first in"?

CenTexSports
03-04-2009, 05:04 PM
There are more golf games than you can shake a stick at. The one you mentioned is probably called "Bingo-Bango-Bongo".

There are skins games, scat games, nassau and a hundred others.

Bullaholic
03-04-2009, 05:09 PM
I read somewhere once that Lee Trevino used to make a lot of money when he was young "hustling" by betting people that he could beat them at golf using a king-sized Dr. Pepper bottle for a club.

I thought the "bet" scene from the clubhouse in "Tin Cup" was great when Don Johnson beat Kevin Costner by hitting the ball longer down a paved road instead of on the grass.

grmfan93
03-04-2009, 05:13 PM
Best driver
Most taylormade drivers

Best irons
Ping I series

Best putter
Scotty cameron...newport series

Best ball
Pro V1

Best and hardest course
Campions course-indiana university

Handicap
Prolly around 8 or 9

Did I get em all

DU_stud04
03-04-2009, 06:59 PM
Best Driver?
taylormade r7 CGB MAX

Best Irons?
i love my taylormade r7 tour preferred irons. best ones ive hit are probably some titleist blades ive hit at the golf stores.

Best Putter?
i like my odyssey 2 ball blade, but nothing feels softer than a scotty cameron studio

Best Wedge?
titleist Vokey Design Spin Milled

Best Ball?
Bidgestone B330-s, just a bit more durable than a prov-1