PDA

View Full Version : Has A Woman Ever Coached a Football Team In Texas?

Bullaholic
03-04-2009, 02:19 PM
Just wondering if a woman has ever coached a football team at any level in Texas?

pirate4state
03-04-2009, 02:21 PM
So many replies come to mind:

God, I hope not!
I seriously doubt it.
Why would she want to?
Might not be popular, but I firmly believe there are some places only meant for men and vice versa! :eek:

Bullaholic
03-04-2009, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
places only meant for men :eek:

Bet my list is a lot longer than yours, P4S.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
03-04-2009, 02:25 PM
I would be supportive of a female football coach as long as she knew her stuff and won some games.

pirate4state
03-04-2009, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Bet my list is a lot longer than yours, P4S. I'm sure it is and that's OKAY! :D

kaorder1999
03-04-2009, 02:27 PM
there have been MANY women assistant coaches I would bet but no head coaches that I have heard of.

Bullaholic
03-04-2009, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by TarponFanInNorthTexas
I would be supportive of a female football coach as long as she knew her stuff and won some games.

After being a mod on here for 2 years---I bet P4S could handle it :D, and I got to admit---she knows her football.

pirate4state
03-04-2009, 02:32 PM
After being a mod on here for 2 years---I bet P4S could handle it :D, and I got to admit---she knows her football. Trust me, I know very little about football. I can just BS my way through lots of stuff! :D

Electus Unus
03-04-2009, 02:34 PM
I'd want my female coach to be gorgeous and make me stay after practice for extra conditioning. :D

Bullaholic
03-04-2009, 02:43 PM
I actually found one:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/football/coaching-dream.htm

Electus Unus
03-04-2009, 02:45 PM
I actually found one:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/football/coaching-dream.htm http://i.usatoday.net/sports/_photos/2007/10/31/prepsx.jpg
I don't want her making me stay after for 'extra conditioning.'

kaorder1999
03-04-2009, 03:07 PM
I dont care if a female is coaching as long as she knows what the heck she is doing and there is not a disruption or any distractions because of it....I personally would never work on a staff with a female football coach

Bullaholic
03-04-2009, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
I dont care if a female is coaching as long as she knows what the heck she is doing and there is not a disruption or any distractions because of it....I personally would never work on a staff with a female football coach

sexist homophob....:D

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-04-2009, 04:24 PM
In Kazakhstan we say, "God, man, horse, dog, then woman, then rat."

WOS87
03-04-2009, 04:30 PM
I can't claim knowing this first but I will quote the original post by poster JasperDawgs over on the SE Texas site:

Hey WOS87, I've got a trivia question for ya. Did you know that Jasper's very first football coach was a... WOMAN? I know, I could hear a gasp all across southeast Texas. Yes, it is true. In 1915 Mrs Maggie Noble Seale (a huge football fan herself) decided that the school boys in Jasper should have a football team. She obtained a football rulebook and gathered the boys on an old makeshift dusty field where the Jasper rodeo arena stands today and taught them how to play this game called football.
After a few practices Miss Maggie proclaimed that this team thought that it could take on anybody, and so they did. The very first Jasper football game was played in 1915 in Jasper against Beaumont, and the Beaumont boys walloped the Jasper boys 65-0.
So, the Jasper boys practiced a little harder and studied the rule book some more and challenged Port Arthur to a game, they accepted, and commenced to beat the Jasper boys 106 to absolutely nothing.
Determined, the Jasper boys practiced harder, studied the rule book some more (the rule book was probably falling apart by this time) and took on Beaumont again in November 1915. Beaumont 40 Jasper 0. It was another loss but they were improving! In fact the Beaumont Enterprise noted a few good Jasper players and made a prophetic prediction that the Jasper team would one day be a power.
In 1916, Coach/Mrs Seale and her boys were getting the hang of the thing. On a Saturday afternoon, October 7th, 1916, Jasper won their first football game, 9-0 over Beaumont South Park High School. Jasper was at long last a "POWER"!
Soon after all of this the men folk took over the reigns of Jasper football, in those very early days it was customarily the school principal that was also the coach. Mrs Seale never lost her love for Jasper football and was present at every single game, no matter when or where Jasper was playing she was there. She is remembered as a grand, white haired, bespectacled lady wrapped in a plaid blanket on cold nights in Bulldog Stadium.
In her later years she became sickly and bedridden, this was before the days of Jasper football on the radio. Her family had a private telephone line installed directly into her bedroom and an open line established in Bulldog Stadium so that during the games she could hear the pa announcers Carl Morgan and Bob Braswell and keep up with the progress of the games. This continued until her quiet, peaceful death.
Thank you Coach Seale.

WOS87
03-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Here's the earliest original coverage of a Jasper game that I actually have available to post:

Click here ---> November 14th, 1915 (PDF format) (http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/pdf/111415.pdf)

Look down near the bottom of the 2nd column from the left at the story entitled "Beaumont High Is A Winner". It doesn't mention the coach but it is a record of one of the games mentioned in the post referenced above.

LH Panther Mom
03-04-2009, 05:37 PM
Every day, football players across the state thank their lucky stars that I'm not their coach, even if they don't know it. ;)

Extarpon84
03-04-2009, 07:30 PM
i am not 100% sure but i want to say port isabel had one a long time ago. unless HE had a name like leslie that can go either way im not sure tho ill be back

injuredinmelee
03-04-2009, 10:37 PM
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u184/hsguru73/tWildcatsGoldie.jpg

formercougar18
03-05-2009, 12:15 AM
idk if players would respect a woman coach as much as man. If a woman yelled at me i dont think i would be able to take her seriously, no matter what she threatened me with. I was scared to death of my coaches, because of just the intimidation factor of how big they were. This probably sounds so sexist and im not at all. I feel the need to talk back to woman teachers, but when one of my male ones tell me something i usually listen idk why but its just how i am.

BreckTxLonghorn
03-05-2009, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u184/hsguru73/tWildcatsGoldie.jpg

YES!
U-G-L-Y you ain't got no alibi, you ugly!

RedWhiteBlue
03-05-2009, 02:06 PM
I think Leuders-Avoca had a female football coach within the last 10 years.:thinking: