PDA

View Full Version : 43 years ago today - "We're more popular than Jesus now."

jason
03-04-2009, 09:22 AM
this is an interesting read...

Intro:

On March 4, 1966, this quote of John's was printed in an interview by reporter (and friend of John's) Maureen Cleave in the London Evening Standard:

"Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. I needn't argue with that; I'm right and I will be proved right. We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first - rock 'n' roll or Christianity. Jesus was all right but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me."
He was, as she reported, reading extensively about religion at the time. It was a small part of the article. No one took notice of it in Britain.

And then, five months later, on July 29, a teen magazine in the US of A (land of the free, especially religious freedom), Datebook, reprinted the quote out of context instead of submerged in an article, and used it as a part of a front cover story.

Radio stations in the south banned Beatles music. There were rallies of boys and girls stomping on their records and bonfires of Beatles material. John recieved death threats, and the KKK protestsed a Beatle concert in Alabama (because, apparently, it seemed like the Christian thing to do).

This statement, hardly noticed in the UK, was completely taken out of context and the bible belt of the hypocritical southern states was used to beat Lennon and The Beatles in a very unfair and very non-Christian way. John was not comparing the Beatles to Christ or god or religion. The quote as it appears here, IN CONTEXT, is just John being John and using things he knew about in a way he naturally spoke to a friend/reporter. The Jesus lovers, acting in their best Christ-like behaviour, threatened to kill John.

Who says terrorism is limited to radical Islam?

The Apology

John: "If I had said television is more popular than Jesus, I might have got away with it, but I just happened to be talking to a friend and I used the words "Beatles" as a remote thing, not as what I think - as Beatles, as those other Beatles like other people see us. I just said "they" are having more influence on kids and things than anything else, including Jesus. But I said it in that way which is the wrong way."

Reporter: "Some teenagers have repeated your statements - "I like the Beatles more than Jesus Christ." What do you think about that?"

John: "Well, originally I pointed out that fact in reference to England. That we meant more to kids than Jesus did, or religion at that time. I wasn't knocking it or putting it down. I was just saying it as a fact and it's true more for England than here. I'm not saying that we're better or greater, or comparing us with Jesus Christ as a person or God as a thing or whatever it is. I just said what I said and it was wrong. Or it was taken wrong. And now it's all this."

Reporter: "But are you prepared to apologize?"

John (thinking that he had just apologized, because he did): "I wasn't saying whatever they're saying I was saying. I'm sorry I said it really. I never meant it to be a lousy anti-religious thing. I apologize if that will make you happy. I still don't know quite what I've done. I've tried to tell you what I did do but if you want me to apologize, if that will make you happy, then OK, I'm sorry."

LINK (http://beatlesnumber9.com/biggerjesus.html)

Phil C
03-04-2009, 09:24 AM
I remember that well and many of the religions were upset. But I don't feel they paid attention. After all if the young people had a chance to see a Beetles concert or go to church guess what - they would have gone to the concert. Their meaning was totally misunderstood.

Phil C
03-04-2009, 09:45 AM
Needless to say some of the churches shamefully showed a lack of tolerance. For one thing as I posted they didn't get the understanding of the meaning and the other is that some of them showed a lack of tolerance because after all everyone is entitled to their opinion.

STANG RED
03-04-2009, 10:18 AM
I was only 6, but I still remember seeing the newscasts and the piles of Beetles albums being burned in the streets.
It all seems a bit comical now.

44INAROW
03-04-2009, 10:28 AM
I was about 8 years old when this happened. We went to my grandmother's in Louisiana and there was a huge "Beatles album burning" gathering at the shopping center in Monroe. (seems like The Sound of Music was playing at the theatre)

Maroon87
03-04-2009, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Needless to say some of the churches shamefully showed a lack of tolerance. For one thing as I posted they didn't get the understanding of the meaning and the other is that some of them showed a lack of tolerance because after all everyone is entitled to their opinion.

True, Phil. True.

Now if the Pelican West Band had said they were more popular than Jesus, then I could understand the outrage. I mean, their influence is far greater than that of the Beatles anyway.

TheDOCTORdre
03-04-2009, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I may get bashed for this but I hate the word tolerance ...

LH Panther Mom
03-04-2009, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
I may get bashed for this but I hate the word tolerance ...
It's just another term for "politically correct", in some instances. And at the moment, my level of tolerance is pegging the GAC meter at an all time high. :(

DDBooger
03-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
It's just another term for "politically correct", in some instances. not really, tolerance is accepting there are people with views different than your own. In some ways, tolerance combats PC. Even if I hate ignorance and the rants it provides, a tolerant person or entity that accepts it as their right, but does not believe in it, is how it should work. I am entirely against PC, I say let people show their true colors, it is much easier to identify those we should steer clear from :)
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c268/FCarrejo/copandklan.jpg

Phantom Stang
03-04-2009, 12:56 PM
If you take out the " We're more popular than Jesus now" part, what you have left is.... "Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. I needn't argue with that; I'm right and I will be proved right. I don't know which will go first - rock 'n' roll or Christianity. Jesus was all right but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me."

So, how was what Lennon said taken out of context?

jason
03-04-2009, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
If you take out the " We're more popular than Jesus now" part, what you have left is.... "Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. I needn't argue with that; I'm right and I will be proved right. I don't know which will go first - rock 'n' roll or Christianity. Jesus was all right but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me."

So, how was what Lennon said taken out of context?

i think it was the fact that magazines and newspapers that only printed the "We're more popular than Jesus now" part that got the southern bible thumpers' panties in a wad....

they didn't see the rest of the quote, not that it would have mattered anyways....

vet93
03-04-2009, 01:04 PM
I do not agree with his philosophy but John's statement was true then and even more true now. He was very honest in his assessment.

In regards to Phil's condemnation of the Church's response. I agree that the way the church handled the issue was inappropriate. Their outrage and questions should have been centered around "why" was John's statements true regarding the church instead of attacking him. I disagree with the notion that the church should be "tolerant". Tolerance is a god that we worship in itself but should not always be held as the epitomy of Christain faith and practice. Jesus himself was very intolerant of many things in his ministry. Jesus gave us two mandates in the form of the Great Commandment and the Great Commission. Those mandates state:
1. Love God with all of your heart and love your neighbor as yourself. As an aside He also stated if you love me you will obey my commands...so doing what the Bible tells you is part of this process.
2. Tell others about Jesus

Sorry about the sermon...I just think that "tolerance" is not what we are supposed to aspire to in the Christian faith.

S_Tex_3A_Fan
03-04-2009, 01:13 PM
Honestly who cares at this point Jesus is still going strong and last time I checked Johnny Boy caught himself a serious case of lead posioning. I would like to have heard him trying to explain that remark at the Pearly Gates.

Phil C
03-04-2009, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
True, Phil. True.

Now if the Pelican West Band had said they were more popular than Jesus, then I could understand the outrage. I mean, their influence is far greater than that of the Beatles anyway.

I Know what you mean Maroon. Also the Pelican West is a Christian band that participates in several Christian concerts in the Valley during the year.

Phil C
03-04-2009, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by vet93
I do not agree with his philosophy but John's statement was true then and even more true now. He was very honest in his assessment.

In regards to Phil's condemnation of the Church's response. I agree that the way the church handled the issue was inappropriate. Their outrage and questions should have been centered around "why" was John's statements true regarding the church instead of attacking him. I disagree with the notion that the church should be "tolerant". Tolerance is a god that we worship in itself but should not always be held as the epitomy of Christain faith and practice. Jesus himself was very intolerant of many things in his ministry. Jesus gave us two mandates in the form of the Great Commandment and the Great Commission. Those mandates state:
1. Love God with all of your heart and love your neighbor as yourself. As an aside He also stated if you love me you will obey my commands...so doing what the Bible tells you is part of this process.
2. Tell others about Jesus

Sorry about the sermon...I just think that "tolerance" is not what we are supposed to aspire to in the Christian faith.

I know what you mean Vet and certainly the Churches were also entitled to their opinions and you know how I admire the Churches but in that case they didn't really seem to understand what he meant.

Phil C
03-04-2009, 01:17 PM
WE MUST BE TOLERANT!!

AND I AM INTOLERANT OF THOSE WHO REFUSE TO DO SO!!

:mad:

bandera7
03-04-2009, 03:45 PM
I dont think it much matters if you show the whole quote or not. I disagree with the fact that Jesus will pass. In fact, I was less offended by "We're bigger than Jesus no" than I was by the rest of it. But then again, I also realize, he has the right to offend me. I just wont buy his album.

LH Panther Mom
03-04-2009, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
not really, tolerance is accepting there are people with views different than your own. In some ways, tolerance combats PC. Even if I hate ignorance and the rants it provides, a tolerant person or entity that accepts it as their right, but does not believe in it, is how it should work. I am entirely against PC, I say let people show their true colors, it is much easier to identify those we should steer clear from :)

Notice the "some" part of my post. :p And yes, I understand tolerance. I'm certainly tolerant of others' beliefs, even when they're wrong. ;)

bobcat4life
03-04-2009, 06:38 PM
no matter what you say or how you take it, Lennon was wrong.

BullsFan
03-04-2009, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by bobcat4life
no matter what you say or how you take it, Lennon was wrong.

What he said.

carter08
03-04-2009, 10:32 PM
Number of Christians worldwide: 2.1 billion

Number of Beatles records sold: over 1 billion.

Of course, I'd say half the "Christians" are Christian in name only.

So, its pretty close.

Although we have to factor in Muslim's love for Jesus.

So, maybe Jesus is more popular.

PhiI C
05-30-2009, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by bandera7
But then again, I also realize, he has the right to offend me. I just wont buy his album.

SHOW SOME COMPASSION!

:mad:

Aesculus gilmus
05-30-2009, 02:10 PM
I won't be buying ANYONE's album.

What's an album?

Just kidding.

sinfan75
05-30-2009, 07:08 PM
Wow I didn't even know all that happened back then. Guess I was iwas doin something boring like playin outside. I was 10 didn't pay much attention to stuff like that in them days.