PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Zoo Trip

Trashman
03-02-2009, 10:52 PM
I want to take my girls to the Dallas Zoo, during spring break. I have never been there and do not know what to expect. Is there anything i should know about the zoo or the area where it is located. For instance, are there other area attractions that we need to see while there?:D

ASUFrisbeeStud
03-02-2009, 11:25 PM
Personally I think the Ft. Worth Zoo is waaaayyyy better, I'd take them there.

pirate4state
03-02-2009, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
Personally I think the Ft. Worth Zoo is waaaayyyy better, I'd take them there. Agreed.

Keith7
03-02-2009, 11:55 PM
Dallas Zoo is in Oak Cliff, which is not one of the most desirable neighborhoods in Dallas.

BullsFan
03-03-2009, 12:18 AM
If you want someplace to go in Dallas, I highly suggest the Dallas World Aquarium. We take our fourth graders there every year for a field trip. (And on that note, don't go on March 10th, since the place will be overrun with about 200 of us.) It's a fabulous place with everything from a wall-view of the manatee tank/reef to a tunnel going through the middle of the shark tank.

http://www.dwazoo.com/d/

And for a once in a lifetime experience, the King Tut exhibit is at the DMA through May 17th. Literally it's been in this area I think twice in my lifetime, and that last time was in the late 70s.

http://dallasmuseumofart.org/Dallas_Museum_of_Art/index.htm

Trashman
03-03-2009, 09:45 AM
Thanks for all the info. We have been to the Ft. Worth, Abilene and San Antonio Zoos, so we thought we might try Dallas. Maybe not.:D

Txbroadcaster
03-03-2009, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
Thanks for all the info. We have been to the Ft. Worth, Abilene and San Antonio Zoos, so we thought we might try Dallas. Maybe not.:D

The Dallas Zoo is nice and you will enjoy it. No it is not in the best area, but it is also not a war zone in the zoo either

kaorder1999
03-04-2009, 01:20 PM
I work right here by the Dallas Zoo. I have never once been to the Zoo and felt threatened in any way. If you have kids they will LOVE the McDonalds right by the zoo. It is zoo themed and pretty neat.

kaorder1999
03-04-2009, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Dont stay after dark and don't cross to the other side of I35. Better yet, go to Ft Worth. Better zoo and MUCH better city and area of town.

in my opinion, the side of 35 where the zoo is (South Oak Cliff) seems to be far worse.....at least on the North Side you have the Historic Jefferson street.

icu812
03-06-2009, 03:47 PM
I've been to the Dallas Zoo and the zoo in over in Tyler is way better.

http://www.caldwellzoo.org/

BEAST
03-09-2009, 04:48 PM
The Dallas Zoo isnt bad. But, I highly recommend the Aquarium that was mentioned. It is located in the West End where JFK was shot. Neat muesum about that, plus there are quite a few watering holes in that area.

BEAST

I_DONT_CARE
03-09-2009, 05:01 PM
ISN'T ALL OF DALLAS A ZOO? :rolleyes:

LH Panther Mom
03-09-2009, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by I_DONT_CARE
:evillol: :evillol: :evillol:

:doh: :doh: Crap! I don't like it when you make me laugh.

Trashman
03-12-2009, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by I_DONT_CARE

Somebody forgot to put up the steel bars. LOL:D

Trashman
03-16-2009, 10:59 AM
Just want to thank all of you for your help. We ended up going to the Dallas World Aquarium on Friday, due to the rain, and Six Flags on Saturday. My girls had a great time. I was really impressed with the aquarium, it amazes me that you can actually put a living rain forest in a four story building.:D :D :D

BullsFan
03-16-2009, 12:16 PM
So glad you went to the Aquarium! And glad it was still standing after our 200 fourth graders went through it on Tuesday. ;)

I think we're going on a smaller family trip on either Thursday or Friday of this week, once we call and make sure there are not field trips scheduled for those days. We're hoping everyone is on spring break like we are.

Ranger Mom
03-16-2009, 01:36 PM
I had never even heard of this place until this thread.

I went to their website, looks pretty cool, but pricey....is the price of admission worth it?

Trashman
03-16-2009, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I had never even heard of this place until this thread.

I went to their website, looks pretty cool, but pricey....is the price of admission worth it?

Yes! I had never heard of it either, until Bullsfan posted about it. It cost us 63 dollars and some change for the four of us and it was worth every penny. It is all indoors so you can go no matter the weather. Their web site does not do the place justice. I do recomend that you go during the week and not on a Friday.:D :D :D

BullsFan
03-16-2009, 03:56 PM
Yes! I had never heard of it either, until Bullsfan posted about it. It cost us 63 dollars and some change for the four of us and it was worth every penny. It is all indoors so you can go no matter the weather. Their web site does not do the place justice. I do recomend that you go during the week and not on a Friday.:D :D :D

So I guess we'll plan on Thursday then. Thanks!

Ranger Mom, it's basically an entire tropical/aquatic ecosystem under one roof. You start at the top of the rainforest, so you're looking at the tops of trees and the kind of wildlife you'd see there--birds, monkeys, etc. You work your way down through the layers and the wildlife until you're at ground level--and then you go lower. There's one entire wall that's glass that houses manatees and a living reef, there's a tunnel that goes through the middle of the shark tank, there's an outdoor penguin exhibit, there's now a native Texas exhibit, and there's a gallery with smaller tanks that show all kinds of exotics like leafy sea dragons and jellyfish and a fair-sized octopus. It is pricey but well worth it, which is the ONLY reason I agree to get on a yellow school bus for 2 hours (4 hours round trip) with 40 screaming fourth graders every year. Believe me when I tell you it takes a special place to make me go through all that.... :)