PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday TEXAS!

Reds fan
03-02-2009, 10:01 AM
March 2, 1836 marked the birth of Texas as 59 "Texians" declared independence from Mexico.

piratebg
03-02-2009, 10:20 AM
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c16/fireusafighter/Patriotism%20and%20Pride/GOD_BLESS_TEXAS.jpg

Phantom Stang
03-02-2009, 12:11 PM
:cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

:2thumbsup

STANG RED
03-02-2009, 12:22 PM
Here is one paragraph from a very interesting article you should go read.

http://www.texianlegacy.com/march2.html

Even here in Texas most folks still remain unclear about the meaning of that cold March day in 1836. Myth and misunderstanding also obscure the event. Many believe, for example, that the delegates signed the Texas Declaration on March 2. Not true. The delegates read and approved the document on that day, but remember that they did not have a photocopier at their disposal. Clerks worked through the night. Perforce, the five hand-written copies were not ready for signatures until the following day. Nor did all sign even then. Seven delegates had not yet arrived on March 3. As they dragged in, the latecomers added their names for a total of fifty-nine signatories. Nowadays Texans remember the small hamlet where the delegates gathered as Washington-on-the-Brazos. Nobody called it that in 1836. Texians back then simply called it the "Town of Washington." Not until later would 'Washington-on-the-Brazos" come into common usage.

STANG RED
03-02-2009, 12:39 PM
Yall will just have to excuse me, but I love Texas History, so here goes.

Here are the names of all 59 signatures on the Texas Declaration of Independence.
Not surprisingly, many Texas towns and counties bare some of these men’s last names.

Richard Ellis, President of the Convention and Delegate from Red River
Charles B. Stewart
Thomas Barnett
John S. D. Byrom
José Francisco Ruiz
José Antonio Navarro
Jesse B. Badgett
William D. Lacy
William Menefee
John Fisher
Matthew Caldwell
William Motley
Lorenzo de Zavala
Stephen H. Everett
George W. Smyth
Elijah Stapp
Claiborne West
William. B. Scates
Michel B. Menard
Augustine B. Hardin
John Wheeler Bunton
Thomas J. Gazley
Robert M. Coleman
Sterling C. Robertson
Benjamin Briggs Goodrich
George Washington Barnett
James G. Swisher
Jesse Grimes
Samuel Rhoads Fisher
John W. Moore
John W. Bower
Samuel A. Maverick (from Bejar)
Sam P. Carson
Andrew Briscoe
James B. Woods
James Collinsworth
Edwin Waller
Asa Brigham
George C. Childress
Bailey Hardeman
Robert Potter
Thomas Jefferson Rusk
Charles S. Taylor
John S. Roberts
Robert Hamilton
Collin McKinney
Albert Hamilton Latimer
James Power
Sam Houston
David Thomas
Edward Conrad
Martin Parmer
Edwin O. Legrand
Stephen W. Blount
Robert Thomas 'James' Gaines
William Clark, Jr.
Sydney O. Pennington
William Carroll Crawford
John Turner
Herbert Simms Kimble, Secretary

The Texas Declaration of Independence was the formal declaration of independence of the Republic of Texas from Mexico in the Texas Revolution. It was adopted at the Convention of 1836 at Washington-on-the-Brazos on March 2, 1836, and formally signed the following day after errors were noted in the text.

Richard Ellis, president of the convention, appointed a committee of five; George C. Childress, Edward Conrad, James Gaines, Bailey Hardeman, and Collin McKinney (the last being the oldest member of the convention at age 70), to write the declaration, but the declaration was largely the work of Childress. As the text was completed in only one day after the committee was appointed, it is largely believed that Childress came to the convention already prepared with a draft.

S_Tex_3A_Fan
03-02-2009, 03:45 PM
Stephen H. Everett was my Great-Grandfathers Brother.

Reds fan
03-02-2009, 04:04 PM
You are excused Stang Red, Texas history is fascinating to me also!