PDA

View Full Version : Patriots Trade QB Cassell To Chiefs

carter08
02-28-2009, 09:40 AM
I seriously expected this to be about Sam Cassell for some reason.

xD

Edit: Okay, my post appeared before the first one. Weird.

ILS1
02-28-2009, 03:13 PM
FOXBOROUGH, Massachusetts (Ticker)—The New England Patriots on Saturday traded quarterback Matt Cassel to the Kansas City Chiefs.

It was the second trade in as many days between the clubs, which turned into a package deal of Cassel and linebacker Mike Vrabel for Kansas City’s second-round pick (No. 34) this year.

New Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli, the former Patriots’ personnel director, engineered the deals with New England in an attempt to turn around a downtrodden team that finished a franchise-worst 2-14 last season.

“I have a long history with both players,” Pioli said. “Mike and Matt are men that I respect both personally and professionally. I look forward to having them as new members of the Chiefs family.”

Cassel was designated as the Patriots’ franchise player earlier this month, guaranteeing him a $14.65 million for next season.

After stepping in for incumbent starter Tom Brady, who was lost for the year with a knee injury in the season opener, Cassel turned in an outstanding season for the Patriots.

In his first season as a starter since high school, Cassel completed over 63 percent of his passes for 3,693 yards, 21 touchdowns and 11 interceptions after taking over for Brady.

Cassel played superbly down the stretch, throwing eight TDs and just one interception as New England won its final four games to finish with an 11-5 record.

“It is very easy to root for guys like Matt Cassel, who do everything the right way and flourish as a result,” Patriots head coach Bill Belichick said. “As much as we would have loved to continue working with Matt, we wish him nothing but the best as he takes this next step forward in his career.”

Quarterback was a major trouble spot for the Chiefs, who started three quarterbacks during a franchise-worst 2-14 campaign.

Tyler Thigpen got the bulk of the starts in the second half and played decently, but the Chiefs lost six of their last 10 games by seven points or fewer.

On Friday, the teams announced that Vrabel had been dealt to the Chiefs for an undisclosed draft choice.

Vrabel, 33, had four sacks last season, his eighth with the Patriots and 12th overall. He had a career-high 12 1/2 sacks in 2007.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=txpatriotscasseltrade&prov=st&type=lgns

carter08
03-01-2009, 02:57 PM
Wait.

Why did they trade Vrabel?

mchavez
03-01-2009, 09:36 PM
this was a good move for KC. Let's just say if Cassell was entering the draft this year he would def, be a top five pick.

Emerson1
03-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by mchavez
this was a good move for KC. Let's just say if Cassell was entering the draft this year he would def, be a top five pick.
Is that a good thing considering he has been in the league 4 years and a year as the starter?

carter08
03-01-2009, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Is that a good thing considering he has been in the league 4 years and a year as the starter?

I think Cassel + Vrabel is better than a second round pick.

Although, since NE has Brady, Cassel was expendable. So in that case, its more like Vrabel for a second rounder. So, both teams win.

mchavez
03-02-2009, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1

Well who would you rather have Matthew Stafford, Mark Sanchez, or Cassell? I think any team in the league would rather have Cassell and keep a 1st round pick, and no i don't think the 4 years matter too much.
By the time Stafford and Sanchez get the hang of the NFL( if they ever do) they'll be in their 2nd or 3rd year.

STANG RED
03-02-2009, 11:30 AM
I think this was a bad deal by NE. It would seem those two players would have been worth much much more than the pick they got in return. I think KC raped NE pretty good in this deal. Great deal for KC imo! Only time will tell I guess.

BaTmAn24
03-02-2009, 04:30 PM
the chiefs desperately needed that. Now hopefully Cassel will have another great year and be worth it.