PDA

View Full Version : Does playoff bye hurt?

Gontex
02-28-2009, 08:46 AM
I have been looking at playoff results and have noticed how many district champions lost in their first playoff game. I know Gonzales had not played for nearly a week and a half since their last regular season game before their loss to Bellville. Very few district champions are left in Region IV. Gonzales, LaGrange, Sam Houston ...... all lost first round playoff games. Looks to me like the bye may in fact be a hindrace to some teams.

I. B. Watching
02-28-2009, 09:00 AM
I think it does in sports like basketball, baseball, voleyball unless you get a warmup game in there in order to stay sharp. It seems the layoff could hurt in those sports where as it might help in football because it give you time to heal up and prepare.

maestro
02-28-2009, 11:29 AM
yes....i would think that if i knew that i had a possible district champ on my hands....i'd save some games for a possible warmup game..

i know that i've seen some distrcit champs that can play two warmup games.....because it did not go over the total allowed...

SintonFan_inAustin
02-28-2009, 12:48 PM
Hondo was also a district champion out of D29. Baseball is where it could hurt more as far as having a layoff for a week as its more about timing.

Emerson1
02-28-2009, 01:33 PM
In baseball though you can just scrimmage against yourself. Simulating the rigors of a real baseball game is a lot easier than a football game.