PDA

View Full Version : Jr2004....

kaorder1999
02-27-2009, 11:01 AM
If I feel up to is this evening I might head out to Plano to see the Trojans play!!!

JR2004
02-27-2009, 11:36 AM
Well head up to Plano this evening! That would make 4 white people sitting on the Trojans side tonight!

kaorder1999
02-27-2009, 11:38 AM
lol...that is funny!! I bet Jeff Johnson will be there!

JR2004
02-27-2009, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
lol...that is funny!! I bet Jeff Johnson will be there!

Great! That would make five white people! It may jump to six if the cheerleader sponsor is there!

catgut
02-27-2009, 12:13 PM
Do you draw big crowds? You'd think you'd fill the gym every time you play

JR2004
02-27-2009, 12:33 PM
The crowds are alright. I think the Flentroy family can fill up half a gym by themselves...lol. It's nothing like the crowds though from the late 90's that we had where the entire neighborhood went to wherever the team was playing at. As more Dallas schools get eliminated in the playoffs our crowds get bigger. Even though we beat Carter and swept Lincoln this year they're still the bigger draws.

The crowds are better than what we have during football season though. I at least have to show up about 45 minutes early to get a good seat at home games for basketball. In football I can show up 5 minutes before kickoff and have a nice seat about 10 rows up with plenty of room to kick back...lol.

catgut
02-27-2009, 12:43 PM
I hope we get past this next game just so I can get to Commerce to see them play. With the record you guys have no one will stop you if they just don't look ahead too far.

JR2004
02-27-2009, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by catgut
I hope we get past this next game just so I can get to Commerce to see them play. With the record you guys have no one will stop you if they just don't look ahead too far.

Well if we win tonight we'll still have to go through Argyle in the 3rd round and that game is a toss-up to me. I don't expect the winner to take it by more than 4-5 either way.

eagles_victory
02-27-2009, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Well if we win tonight we'll still have to go through Argyle in the 3rd round and that game is a toss-up to me. I don't expect the winner to take it by more than 4-5 either way. Maybe this is a bit of a sterotype of DISD basketball but most teams I have seen are really up and down run and gun fun to watch style teams. Since most of Madison's games against good teams are against those style of opponents does it worry you that Argyle might give you trouble playing a little different style of basketball?

JR2004
02-27-2009, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Maybe this is a bit of a sterotype of DISD basketball but most teams I have seen are really up and down run and gun fun to watch style teams. Since most of Madison's games against good teams are against those style of opponents does it worry you that Argyle might give you trouble playing a little different style of basketball?

DISD teams, as a whole, don't get up and down like they used to. SOC was opportunistic when it came to running during their title runs, but they were a halfcourt team that liked to beat up the other team. Lincoln likes to run, but even they play a lot of halfcourt basketball as well with Nash and Williams. They do still press though. Hillcrest plays the game at a slower pace than the schools out in the suburbs and small towns do! Woodrow is a halfcourt team built around its guards ability to breakdown a defense in the halfcourt. The only team really running right now is Carter. If you want to see run and gun basketball you'll have to go to Houston to see it consistently with the HISD teams.

We don't really run like we have in the past. We're a halfcourt team now so playing at a slower pace doesn't bother us as much as it has in the past. Halfcourt basketball used to be kryptonite to us, but now that we do it a lot we're getting good at it. Argyle runs just about as much as we do. The problem in facing them is the length and athleticism of their best three players and how skilled Dickerson (as well as Pearson and Phillips) is. We still get out and run when the opportunity presents itself, but we don't get out and setup in a 12 or 21 anymore as a base defense. I know that really surprised Princeton's coach when he found that out a couple of months back. He was shocked that we just pick-up full court man and don't incorporate the press like we did for most of the first 30 years of UIL competition. Playing man has made us a better team. This is probably the best defensive team we've had since 1997.