PDA

View Full Version : Sinton 28 Cuero 7 FINAL

sinfan75
09-27-2002, 10:17 PM
5-0 and the last 4 games on the road.These guys finally get a week off get to play at home.FINALLY!!!!Great win Pirates!!!!!!

RUfablungid2?
09-28-2002, 12:45 AM
Great win Sinton! Ya'll looking real good now that "unbeatable" Everman and Jasper have fallen. Sinton is #1, and will now have the pleasure of defending the position. Good luck Pirates!!

Chris Hart
09-28-2002, 01:03 AM
Another good win for you guys in Sinton.The Pirate defense is looking really good.

------------------
Big Green Dawg

sinton66
09-28-2002, 08:11 AM
The first half was a yawner, not sure what Sinton coaches were trying to do. Bubba Heard looks like he has finally decided to be the game breaker we all knew he could be. He scored all four Sinton touchdowns, and had a fifth called back on a holding call. I know for a fact Cuero didn't plan it this way, but where in the world did that officiating crew come from? That had to be close to a record penalty assessment. I heard someone say we had 118 yds in penalties.

SintonFan
09-28-2002, 11:45 AM
Good win Sinton!!!
I'm having trouble finding stats for this game. I did find this: http://www.VictoriaAdvocate.com/hssports/summary.asp?Event=000000000501215820&Year=000000000501213640&Sport=191
Not a bunch here, but it's something.

SintonFan
09-28-2002, 11:51 AM
Whooaa!!!
This link at the caller.com shows Sinton having 144 yards in penalties...
http://preps.caller.com/sport/football/BoxScore.cfm?SiteID=CCCT&DesignID=CCCT&GameID=287914&AwayTeamID=1542&HomeID=23128&Gender=Boys&SportID=FTB
Not much stats here, either...

exbccards76'smom
09-28-2002, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by sinton66:
The first half was a yawner, not sure what Sinton coaches were trying to do. Bubba Heard looks like he has finally decided to be the game breaker we all knew he could be. He scored all four Sinton touchdowns, and had a fifth called back on a holding call. I know for a fact Cuero didn't plan it this way, but where in the world did that officiating crew come from? That had to be close to a record penalty assessment. I heard someone say we had 118 yds in penalties.

Congrats on the win. Looking forward to seeing ya'll again in the playoffs. We had alot of penalties last night, too. Coach Tarver let the second string play, and lots of delay of game penalties. Guess that is to be expected.

sinton66
09-28-2002, 12:32 PM
Ok, guess I was seeing things, thought Bubba did all the scoring. That was a wierd game.

sinton66
09-28-2002, 12:46 PM
Ok, here's a link with the stats: http://www.caller.com/ccct/high_school_sports/article/0,1641,CCCT_821_1446094,00.html

Big Tarp 74
09-28-2002, 12:58 PM
How is everything going. Look like Sinton did great tonight. Cuero, has always been a strong team, but you all did great. Port Isabel, was just a bit hot under the coller, with Rio Hondo coaching staff. They had been making remarks to the press, but come game time, PI started hammering Rio Hondo. By half time, Port Isabel had 351 yards of rushing. They complete the game with over 461 yards of Offense. What realy showed, was our speed. The college scouts, were just shocked at our speed. They first saw this speed against Los Fresnos. They told us that they came to see if the speed was real or if PI was just playing Los Fresnso as a rivial. After the Rio Hondo game, they told us that this team has extrem speed. They are fast on both sides of the ball. They were asking for the 40 speeds on at least 5 ball players. It sure feels good to win the big ones. Have you been watching the weather, look like LiLi might just make it to the gulf. This might just cause problems. I have several sister and bothers living in New Orleans, They are tired of the rain. I was hoping that LiLi would stay in the alantic.

Ok, here's a link with the stats: [URL=http://www.caller.com/ccct/high_school_sports/article/0,1641,CCCT_821_1446094,00.html]http://www.caller.com/ccct/high_school_sports/article/0,1641,CCCT_821_1446094,00.html[/UR L]

[This message has been edited by Big Tarp 74 (edited September 28, 2002).]

Big Tarp 74
09-28-2002, 01:11 PM
Sinton66, I know you guys dont get much info on 32-AAA, here is a new clip.

Port Isabel rolls in District 32-3A opener
32-3A: Loera, Tarpons knock Rio Hondo from ranks of unbeaten.

By RONNIE ZAMORA
Special To The Herald

PORT ISABEL – Monty Stumbaugh couldn’t have asked for a better birthday present — a convincing victory in the opening district game.

His Port Isabel Tarpons sent a message to everybody else in District 32-3A after a 45-0 rout over previously undefeated Rio Hondo Friday night at Tarpon Stadium.

"This is just the first step, we have five more to go," said the Tarpons’ coach, referring to the remaining district games on the schedule. "It’s going to be a dogfight every week."

Friday’s game was more like David and Goliath. The Tarpons improved their season record to 2-2 while Rio Hondo, which had opened with four non-conference victories over weaker opponents, fell to 4-1.

How convincing was the victory? The Tarpons came out smoking, taking a 31-0 lead with 371 yards of total offense — in the first half alone.

The Tarpons and Bobcats have been bitter rivals for many years and Stumbaugh admitted that there was some pre-game trash talking by the visitors.

"That’s part of the game," Stumbaugh said. "We try to teach the kids to play it on the field. The kids really came out to play tonight."

For the night, Port Isabel finished with 462 yards of total offense. They averaged 8.7 yards per rush on 44 carries, with Joey Loera leading the way with 175 yards on only 11 carries.

"The offensive line has really come on," Stumbaugh said, citing the play of linemen Tony Perez, Kevin Kallus, Omar Torres, Jerry Saldivar, B.J. Perez and Raymond Lopez. "That’s one of our strong points this year. We call them the Hogs. The line is what wins and loses for you."

The Hogs blew open big holes for the outside-inside running combination of Loera and Johnny Nieto, who had 94 yards on 11 carries. Quarterback Gabriel Alvarez added 58 yards on six attempts and several times was the leading blocker for Loera after making pitches in the backfield.

Defensively, The Tarpons bent but never broke. Rio Hondo running back Jimmy Heath entered the game with 917 yards and 14 touchdowns, but was held to 41 yards on 11 carries.

The Tarpons stuffed the Bobcats numerous occasions, including a sack of quarterback Robert Lopez Jr. by the Tarpons’ brother duo of Abel and Dante Delgadillo.

The Tarpons only turnover of the night game was a fumble on the opening possession of the game.

From its 24, Rio Hondo immediately went to a bomb from Lopez to Jacob Mendez, who outjumped a Tarpons’ defender at the 45, but was caught from behind at the Port Isabel 12. But two plays later, Rio Hondo’s deepest penetration into Tarpons’ territory was thwarted on a fumble recovery by the PI’s Edmundo Ramirez Jr.

From there, the Tarpon machine was in high gear. Port Isabel scored touchdowns on its next six offensive possessions.

A 51-yard punt return for a touchdown by Joe Arevelo was sandwiched in between two Loera touchdown runs of 10 and 26 yards. Erick Martinez, who connected on all six extra points, chipped in a 27-yard field goal to make it 24-0.

Port Isabel’s two-minute drill worked to perfection late in the first half as the Tarpons went 69 yards in 6 plays in 64 seconds, capped by a 15-yard pass from Alvarez to Johnny Nieto with nine seconds left in the half.

Port Isabel added to its 31-0 halftime lead with scores on its first two possesions of the second half, an eight-yard run by C.J. Betancourt and Loera’s final carry of the night, a 46-yard score with 7:20 left in the third period.

Alvarez, Loera and Nieto were removed from the game with PI holding a 45-0 lead.
Port Isabel will try to improve to 2-0 in District 32-3A play when it travels to Hidalgo, while Rio Hondo returns home to face Raymondville.

sinton66
09-28-2002, 01:25 PM
Thanks Big Tarp, congratulations on a satisfying victory. That ought to wake up the deep south!

Big Tarp 74
09-28-2002, 01:31 PM
As of right now, I know that it woke up Rio Hondo! I would not be supprise if it did not shake a few of district foes. This district has been playing well, La Feria, Raymondville, Lyford and Hidalgo all have good teams, and we still have to face them.

Thanks Big Tarp, congratulations on a satisfying victory. That ought to wake up the deep south!

Old Cardinal
09-28-2002, 03:03 PM
Congratulations to Sinton! That is a good team, I hear, that you beat. If Barber's Hill and Jasper will just lay down and play dead, Bridge City would sure like to meet you again in the Semi-Finals. I have not looked at the bracket set-up, will you folks meet Burnet in the last game for the Region IV Championship, or earlier? Will Port Isabel be a Div I or Div II?

sinton66
09-28-2002, 04:43 PM
Yea Old Cardinal, that seems to be the way the brackets have been set up. Sinton would play south first and would meet the survivor from dist 29,31,and 32 in the regional semis.
Regional final would be against survivor from dist. 25,26,27,and 28.

We would love to give you folks another shot provided we are in a position to do so. But, that sure is a long way off yet, and you never know. I think we may be good enough by then, but it's hard to tell thus far. It's gonna be just wait and see with us.

Port Isabel is the 4th largest school in their district. La Feria, Raymondville, and Hidalgo are all larger. All three would have to fail to make the playoffs for PI to go div.1. I really can't see that happening.

[This message has been edited by sinton66 (edited September 28, 2002).]

Big Tarp 74
09-30-2002, 01:35 PM
Hey guys, hope everything is going good up their. As for PI, they would most likely fall into a DIV-II bracket. I can not see La Feria or Raymondville, not finishing up in the very top. Rio Hondo will face Raymondville this week, this will elimenate Rio Hondo. That would leave, Lyford, Raymondville, Hidalgo, and La Feria. :D

sinton66:
Yea Old Cardinal, that seems to be the way the brackets have been set up. Sinton would play south first and would meet the survivor from dist 29,31,and 32 in the regional semis.
Regional final would be against survivor from dist. 25,26,27,and 28.

We would love to give you folks another shot provided we are in a position to do so. But, that sure is a long way off yet, and you never know. I think we may be good enough by then, but it's hard to tell thus far. It's gonna be just wait and see with us.

Port Isabel is the 4th largest school in their district. La Feria, Raymondville, and Hidalgo are all larger. All three would have to fail to make the playoffs for PI to go div.1. I really can't see that happening.

[This message has been edited by sinton66 (edited September 28, 2002).]

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-30-2002, 05:03 PM
Hey y'all. Congrats to Sinton for their big win over Cuero.

And FYI......Port Isabel will go Div. II playoff bracket. I seriously doubt that La Feria and Raymondville will NOT make the playoffs. Rio Hondo's weak non-district schedule has already caught up with them, and with Raymondville beating them this week, that just about eliminates Rio Hondo and their foul mouthed, trash talking coaching staff from the playoffs.

Now, in regards to the playoffs......and I know this is a ways off, if Port Isabel does end up winning the district title this season, or is the higher ranked of the two Div. II representatives, don't be surprised if we get to see one heck of a matchup in the area round, assuming of course Port Isabel dispatches their opponent in the bi-district round.

Port Isabel vs. Mathis :D

I'd love to see that!

sinton66
09-30-2002, 05:30 PM
Do you remember that tight wing-t Sinton ran back in '90? Mathis runs it now. Don't expect them to be a pushover. They usually finish strong. But like I said, that's a long ways off yet. :)

Big Tarp 74
09-30-2002, 05:43 PM
That would be a good match up. PI has been racking up yards and points lately. PI looked very very good Friday. The scouts, were just stunned at the speed, and how many had it. Maths is a very good ball club. This would be a tough match for PI. I realy do not know much about Maths. I heard Odem was doing very very good.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-30-2002, 05:59 PM
Yeah, I remember them running the wing-t......in fact, i'm VERY familiar with that offense since the Port Isabel team I played for ran a variation of it.

If Port Isabel's run defense is as good as I hear it is.....and if Mathis can't match Port Isabel's speed......then Mathis may be in for a long night. But like you said, Mathis has a lot of heart and they finish strong, so regardless of what happens, i'm sure it'll still be a great game. But if Port Isabel does come out on top, it may very well re-establish Port Isabel as a Region 4 power since Mathis is pretty highly ranked.

You Sinton fans might want to consider going to a Port Isabel game (preferably the game vs. Lyford in Port Isabel, i'll be there) and see Port Isabel's speed for yourselves.

eek! <----------you'll look like that after you see it. That's the same look I had when I saw it vs. Los Fresnos.

Big Tarp 74
09-30-2002, 06:01 PM
How is Mathis size and speed. Like I said early on, I do not know much about Mathis. I understand that Mathis runs the slot T. This is an offense that Port Isabel knows very well. This offense is based on mis-direction. Port Isabel runs a multi-options offense. Sometimes they will use the options, Sometime they in a Pro Set, and they have even been in an unblanced line set. I have even seen them use the wishbone and the shotgun or run & shoot. But I only saw it once.

sinton66:
Do you remember that tight wing-t Sinton ran back in '90? Mathis runs it now. Don't expect them to be a pushover. They usually finish strong. But like I said, that's a long ways off yet. :)

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-30-2002, 06:09 PM
Actually Adam, Mathis runs the WING-T......not the SLOT-T. But the plays are all similar, the only difference is the formation.

tap_tx_sinton
09-30-2002, 08:03 PM
Way to go Sinton Pirates. Great win

sinton66
09-30-2002, 08:07 PM
tap_tx_sinton:
Way to go Sinton Pirates. Great winWelcome to the best football board anywhere. :D

M.PIRATEFAN
09-30-2002, 08:31 PM
Hey Tarp 74, Mathis is loaded with speed this year!! Not to mention, a hell of a quarterback,and he is only a sophmore. This past Friday against Hebb, he threw pretty close to 300 yards against that secondary. The running game is there don't have to worry about that. And we don't have one back to handed it to but multi-backs. I have to say probably the best team I've seen since the one back in'99 when we went to state. What I like about this is that we have a sophmore QB that not only can pass but he has the speed. Anyways, Mathis is loaded with speed and size and will make any team look stupid with the wing-T. Then Soza starts bringing out the trick plays. So maybe if, IF,we meet in the playoffs, good luck because we do have tradition and we win go far in the playoffs. :D