PDA

View Full Version : Computer Generated Ratings vs. Subjective Polls

GWOOD
10-30-2003, 11:36 AM
Day off from work today--Have some time to play!

Wanted to compare the combined computer generated ratings vs. combined subjective polls. The following are the results from this weeks Top 10 ratings. Used 4 computer generated rating systems (Collier/Sharp, DataPoll, Jerry's, and Massey Ratings) and 6 subjective polls (Texas Prep, Alan Outlook, Dave Campbell, Texas HS Football, AP, and 3A Downlow).
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">code:<hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Computer Generated Subjective
1. Burnet 40 1. Burnet 60
2. Gainesville 34 2. Bellville 54
3. Bellville 28 3. Forney 40
4. Gilmer 23 4. Gilmer 39
5. Rice Cons. 23 5. Gainesville 28
6. Daingerfld 16 6. Kennedale 27
7. Cuero 9 7. Rice Cons. 23
8. Atlanta 9 8. Daingerfld 15
9. W. Connally 9 9. Decatur 9
10.Kennedale 8 10.Jasper 7
Liberty Hill 7</pre><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Comments:

1. They are more similiar than I thought. 7 teams are common. With the exception of Forney, all the different teams are in the 7-10 spots.

2. Burnet is highly thought of even outside of Burnet and even with computers.

3. Computer ratings (#3,#3,#2,#2)like Gainesville better than subjective voters (#3,#3,#3,#7, and 2 absences). This doesn't include the Harris Ratings which I understand has Gainesville at #1.

4. Computer ratings (#8 and 3 absences) are not impressed with Forney. Subjective voters (#3,#3,#4,#4,#6,#6) are.

5. Computer ratings (#5,#9,#10, 1 absence)like Cuero better (#8 and 5 absences.)

Conclusion?--As much as computer ratings seem illogical at times and can't factor in many of the intangibles, they actually are not too different than the subjective polls.

AggieJohn
10-30-2003, 03:27 PM
yeah but i don't think that computer generatives could factor in the coaching styles..some schools like to run up the score and show they are dominant where as some schools coaches like to secure a win by about 20, call off the dogs and get the less experienced or skilled a chance to develop...i think subjective polls factor that in and that's why i'm more a fan of them...look at liberty.....barber's hill will forever be infront of them because when they get a chance they'll run the score up..but liberty's head coach won't....he secured a 30 point lead against tarkington and put in all the jv'ers and got them experience...liberty is 8-0 , where as Barber's hill is 6-2.....it just doesn't seem fair

sahen
10-30-2003, 03:42 PM
What explayer2001 is true...in the Collier-Sharp poll this week Liberty is ranked in the 60s and dropped 20 spots because they only beat tarkington 37-7...If that isnt crazy enough Huffman (6-2) is ranked about 15 spots ahead of Liberty (8-0) and Barber's Hill (6-2) is ranked 4 or 5 teams ahead of Liberty....Liberty beat Barber's Hill and Barber's Hill was one team that beat Huffman....make sense of that...Not to mention Liberty is the only undefeated team in the state not ranked atleast in the 30's....

sahen
10-30-2003, 03:43 PM
What explayer2001 is true...in the Collier-Sharp poll this week Liberty is ranked in the 60s and dropped 20 spots because they only beat tarkington 37-7...If that isnt crazy enough Huffman (6-2) is ranked about 15 spots ahead of Liberty (8-0) and Barber's Hill (6-2) is ranked 4 or 5 teams ahead of Liberty....Liberty beat Barber's Hill and Barber's Hill was one team that beat Huffman....make sense of that...Not to mention Liberty is the only undefeated team in the state not ranked atleast in the 30's....