PDA

View Full Version : What sport can a single person have the most impact in?

Keith7
02-26-2009, 05:55 PM
I was thinking if Shaq played for a high school team, the team would probably win a state championship.. But that can also translate to other sports too. If a team has an awesome running back or quarterback it might have a good shot at a state title. Same goes with a baseball, a good pitcher can be unstoppable. So which sport do you guys think a single player can have most impact for a team in high school sports?

Emerson1
02-26-2009, 06:00 PM
Basketball. Even in the pros 1 good players can carry them somewhat.

Adrian Peterson's team didn't make the playoffs his senior year. That RB from Van missed the playoffs too.

It depends really on what type of team we area talking about. Are you adding him to a team that makes it 2 or 3 rounds every year, or is it a terrible team who makes it every 5?

cshscougar08
02-26-2009, 06:00 PM
I picked volleyball because of this. In all those other sports, there are ways of isolating that star. In basketball, double and triple team and make the rest of the team try to beat you. Football, stack the box. Baseball, pitchers only pitch every few days and you can pitch around hitters. Soccer, you can bump and hit and knock down all you want. Not much you can do with volleyball since they are on different sides of a net.

ASUFrisbeeStud
02-26-2009, 06:11 PM
Basketball no doubt

JR2004
02-26-2009, 06:19 PM
Golf. :)

crzyjournalist03
02-26-2009, 06:20 PM
Hockey.

It's incredible what a goaltender can do for a team.

3afan
02-26-2009, 06:22 PM
hoops, no doubt

JR2004
02-26-2009, 06:27 PM
My serious answer would be basketball.

I remember Madison playing Pampa in the 1996 4A state title game. Rayford Young (Went on Tech as I'm sure most of you Red Raiders remember. That playoff run and state tournament performance greatly aided him in getting to Tech.) single-handedly beat the Trojans that day. No ifs, ands or buts about it. You take him off the Harvesters and they get drilled. I remember Coach Kidd talking about that game 7 or 8 years later and he said that everything he tried against him in that game didn't work and that he had nothing for Young that day. He was just that good.

bandera7
02-26-2009, 06:32 PM
I agree with hoops.
In football, all eyes on the star. if the rest of the team is crummy they will still be bad. In soccer, I got to play with that "incredible" player. But if you are missing just one player in soccer that isnt able to do their job, then the whole team is affected. Soccer is truly a complete team sport. Volleyball, well one player can really help, but not like in basketball.

In basketball, I have seen teams with all bad players and one stud do excellent. You can double and triple all you want. Some players just cannot be stopped. Especially if they are those huge 7 foot kids in high school. Not much you can do if they are athletes.

Daddy D 11
02-26-2009, 06:35 PM
Softball.
How many times have we all seen ONE dominate pitcher carry her team all the way to the championship only because she throws every game.

cshscougar08
02-26-2009, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
Softball.
How many times have we all seen ONE dominate pitcher carry her team all the way to the championship only because she throws every game.

Agree. Aledo last year was that way. Now that girl is pitching at Baylor.

Trashman
02-26-2009, 07:29 PM
I say baseball. Everyone of you know who Babe Ruth was, but most of you could not tell me who his equals where in their respective sports of the day.

SWMustang
02-26-2009, 07:31 PM
tennis

pirate4state
02-26-2009, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
I picked volleyball because of this. In all those other sports, there are ways of isolating that star. In basketball, double and triple team and make the rest of the team try to beat you. Football, stack the box. Baseball, pitchers only pitch every few days and you can pitch around hitters. Soccer, you can bump and hit and knock down all you want. Not much you can do with volleyball since they are on different sides of a net. I disagree. You CAN shut down a star VB player.

I'd go with softball.

Keith7
02-26-2009, 07:57 PM
lets lump softball with baseball because they are essentially the same sport

Txbroadcaster
02-26-2009, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
I say baseball. Everyone of you know who Babe Ruth was, but most of you could not tell me who his equals where in their respective sports of the day.

Ruth was known because Baseball was THE sport at that time. In today's world Babe Ruth would be just another superstar.

Keith7
02-26-2009, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Ruth was known because Baseball was THE sport at that time. In today's world Babe Ruth would be just another superstar.

Imagine if Ruth was on roids

Txbroadcaster
02-26-2009, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
lets lump softball with baseball because they are essentially the same sport

I dont think u can "lump" them because of the pitching..in softball ONE person can literally pitch the team thru the play-offs, in baseball especially if 2 out of 3 series is played that cannot happen

SintonFan
02-26-2009, 09:14 PM
Baseball because that's one of the choices and since the question was "What sport can a single player have the most impact in?"
A dominating pitcher who doesn't allow the other team to score can have the most impact. Softball, too.

WylieBulldog92
02-26-2009, 09:19 PM
I picked basketball....although Vince Young did single-handedly win the national championship a few years back.

kepdawg
02-26-2009, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by WylieBulldog92
I picked basketball....although Vince Young did single-handedly win the national championship a few years back.

Vince Young won a national championship in high school? :confused:

Old Dog
02-26-2009, 09:31 PM
Even though softball and baseball share the same field design, I feel a really good softball pitcher takes the joy out of watching for me. If she is on your team, great but if not, it sucks. Good hardballer pitchers are just not quite as overpowering.

SintonFan_inAustin
02-26-2009, 10:04 PM
I was thinking if Shaq played for a high school team, the team would probably win a state championship.. But that can also translate to other sports too. If a team has an awesome running back or quarterback it might have a good shot at a state title. Same goes with a baseball, a good pitcher can be unstoppable. So which sport do you guys think a single player can have most impact for a team in high school sports? Dont think Shaq carried his team to a state championship, he played for 3a SA Cole and i believe they never won it with him. Baseball before the best of 3 series a dominating pitcher could get you to the state title game.

Keith7
02-26-2009, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
Dont think Shaq carried his team to a state championship, he played for 3a SA Cole and i believe they never won it with him. Baseball before the best of 3 series a dominating pitcher could get you to the state title game.

I was thinking of Shaq as he is now.. Not the high school Shaq.. but good point

kepdawg
02-26-2009, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
Dont think Shaq carried his team to a state championship, he played for 3a SA Cole and i believe they never won it with him. Baseball before the best of 3 series a dominating pitcher could get you to the state title game.

Shaq and SA Cole went 36-0 in 89.

Keith7
02-26-2009, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Shaq and SA Cole went 36-0 in 89.

What did Shaq's teammates go on to do after high school?

kepdawg
02-26-2009, 10:15 PM
What did Shaq's teammates go on to do after high school?

IDK Never heard of them (http://www.drbillywilbanks.com/basketball/teams.htm#Team_242)

SintonFan_inAustin
02-26-2009, 10:19 PM
Shaq and SA Cole went 36-0 in 89. i know they beat West Oso to go to Austin but wasnt sure if they went on and won the state championship.

Keith7
02-26-2009, 10:23 PM
IDK Never heard of them (http://www.drbillywilbanks.com/basketball/teams.htm#Team_242)

I think its safe to say that Shaq did carry his team to a state championship.. 32 points per game is pretty impressive by any standards

SintonFan
02-26-2009, 10:31 PM
I think its safe to say that Shaq did carry his team to a state championship.. 32 points per game is pretty impressive by any standards
Yes that is impressive, but I doubt he grabbed every rebound, scored every point, swatted every ball or even made many free throws in HS.
A pitcher is the only player in sports vs basketball that can directly affect the entire other team in a one by one situation. No one in basketball can be everywhere at all times.
A dominating baseball pitcher has the MOST impact in any sport.

Keith7
02-26-2009, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Yes that is impressive, but I doubt he grabbed every rebound, scored every point, swatted every ball or even made many free throws in HS.
A pitcher is the only player in sports vs basketball that can directly affect the entire other team in a one by one situation. No one in basketball can be everywhere at all times.

He had 19 points and 26 rebounds in the championship game despite missing most of the 4th quarter with foul trouble.

I think you could make the argument that other players possibly had more opportunities due to attention on Shaq

sinton66
02-26-2009, 10:36 PM
Swimming?

JR2004
02-26-2009, 10:43 PM
Fat Boy also learned something along the way while at Cole. I believe it was his senior year and he was scoring early and often. Well he comes to lunch one day and finds himself eating by himself. He asks a teammate what's going on and he's told that his teammates weren't too happy with him because he wasn't sharing the ball with them and they were tired of just standing around watching him score. It dawned on him that he might should share the ball and keep others involved so that they felt they were a part of the wins and not just spectators.

If you've ever paid any attention to the Big Malcontent during the course of his career you'll notice that he's usually quick to heap praise upon the other star player on his team. He did it with Hardaway, Bryant (Most of his tenure in LA he praised Bryant publicly), Wade and then with Stoudemire. That all began with what happened to him 20 years ago at Cole.

OldBison75
02-26-2009, 10:44 PM
It ain't listed as an option, but, my answer is TRACK. A super sprinter can actually acount for 40 plus points in a track meet if he wins all his events. Most of the time that and a few seconds and thirds from others is enough to win alot of meets.

kepdawg
02-26-2009, 10:50 PM

That brings up an interesting question:

How common are 21 K perfect games?

STANG RED
02-26-2009, 10:55 PM
With the way the question was asked, it has to be baseball. When a pitcher throws a perfect game, it doesnt much matter what the other 8 players do, so long as they manage to push at least 1 run across the plate.

JR2004
02-26-2009, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
With the way the question was asked, it has to be baseball. When a pitcher throws a perfect game, it doesnt much matter what the other 8 players do, so long as they manage to push at least 1 run across the plate.

You know you're exactly right Stang Red.

SintonFan
02-26-2009, 11:02 PM
That brings up an interesting question:

How common are 21 K perfect games?
Infinitely more common than one basketball player scoring every point, every rebound, every assist, block etc. etc. etc...

kepdawg
02-26-2009, 11:03 PM
Infinitely more common than one basketball player scoring every point, every rebound, every assist, block etc. etc. etc...

I just hope the pitcher makes sure to thank the catcher. ;)

Keith7
02-26-2009, 11:06 PM

Unless a player is intent on throwing ally oops to himself, I doubt a player will ever get every point and every assist

JR2004
02-26-2009, 11:06 PM

Are you trying to imply that someone has to get behind the plate and catch those pitches?

SintonFan_inAustin
02-26-2009, 11:08 PM
Sinton had a pitcher in the late '80's that when he pitched it was nearly as automatic win as it could get. 1 run is all he needed to preserve a win. he had couple of no-hitters as a freshman and few more the next 3 years to go with leading his teammates to back to back state titles.

SintonFan
02-26-2009, 11:09 PM
Yes...
I guess assists should be kept track of for every ball not errant.:p
Devil's advocate anyone?:devil:

kepdawg
02-26-2009, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Are you trying to imply that someone has to get behind the plate and catch those pitches?

I think given the choice most pitchers would prefer to have a catcher. Somebody has to throw the ball back to the pitcher! Well, I guess the umpire could do that.

kepdawg
02-26-2009, 11:10 PM
Yes...
I guess assists should be kept track of for every ball not errant.:p
Devil's advocate anyone?:devil:

I've been accused of :stirpot: a few times in my life.

SintonFan
02-26-2009, 11:16 PM
I think given the choice most pitchers would prefer to have a catcher. Somebody has to throw the ball back to the pitcher! Well, I guess the umpire could do that.
Going by your logic, then maybe football should considered "having a single person with the most impact in". With no QBs then all those snaps can result in fumbles.
If we delve into the question "What sport can a single person have the most impact?" then we might look at linebackers...
but look at the question.
Fun stuff Kep!:D

kepdawg
02-26-2009, 11:21 PM
Going by your logic, then maybe football should considered "having a single person with the most impact in". With no QBs then all those snaps can result in fumbles.
If we delve into the question "What sport can a single person have the most impact?" then we might look at linebackers...
but look at the question.
Fun stuff Kep!:D

That may be true about QBs and fumbles, but without the center the ball never gets snapped.

And what if there is a direct snap to the RB? You don't need the QB then. Although I suppose people would say the RB has then become the QB.

SintonFan_inAustin
02-26-2009, 11:29 PM
and some people would argue QB can lose a game by himself and thus being a impact player :doh:

SintonFan
02-26-2009, 11:31 PM
That may be true about QBs and fumbles, but without the center the ball never gets snapped.

And what if there is a direct snap to the RB? You don't need the QB then. Although I suppose people would say the RB has then become the QB.
Did you vote for RB????;)
OK, you mentioned catcher... and they are important. But a dominating pitcher is more of an "impact in" the question vs someone who can't shoot free throws.:p A pitcher plays baseball... lol
I think you're impacting my last wisdom tooth.:p
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/3030/reelingsmiley.gif

kepdawg
02-26-2009, 11:33 PM
Did you vote for RB????;)
OK, you mentioned catcher... and they are important. But a dominating pitcher is more of an "impact in" the question vs someone who can't shoot free throws.:p A pitcher plays baseball... lol
I think you're impacting my last wisdom tooth.:p
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/3030/reelingsmiley.gif

Yes, I mentioned catcher because I do not think a pitcher would last long running down balls at the backstop while batters are running to first.

SintonFan
02-26-2009, 11:43 PM
Yes, I mentioned catcher because I do not think a pitcher would last long running down balls at the backstop while batters are running to first.
Nice! We should use hockey penalties for all sports. If someone pulls a "Rasheed" then they go into the little box for two minutes!!!
We need a new name for our type of sports?!?:evilgrin:
kep... who's on first?

kepdawg
02-26-2009, 11:47 PM
Nice! We should use hockey penalties for all sports. If someone pulls a "Rasheed" then they go into the little box for two minutes!!!
We need a new name for our type of sports?!?:evilgrin:
kep... who's on first?

I've thought forever that some sort of hockey penalty box would be great in other sports!

And to answer your quesiton about who's "on" first I need to know if there is a catcher or not.

SintonFan
02-26-2009, 11:56 PM
I've thought forever that some sort of hockey penalty box would be great in other sports!

And to answer your quesiton about who's "on" first I need to know if there is a catcher or not.
Could you imagine Shaq without a point guard? Not pretty at all.:p :D
Ok maybe we can call that type of penalty box sports the "Catcher League", since without a pitcher... yada yada yada.
I do like the overall concept and I brought it up first here.:thinking:

PPHSfan
02-27-2009, 08:27 AM
Boxing

BMOC
02-27-2009, 10:34 AM
I have to agree with Track, I remember Roy Williams from Odessa Permian almost won the State Track Meet alone. We keep saying Softball but Texas had Cat Osterman, Tennessee had Monica Abbot, and Arizona had Jennie Finch...none of them won the national championship and all of them couldn't win the gold in Beijing.

Bullaholic
02-27-2009, 01:38 PM
Now what possible effect could a person's marital status have on their performance in a sport? :D

Buckeye1980
02-27-2009, 01:50 PM
Spelling bee