PDA

View Full Version : Spring Training Baseball: Astros vs. Braves

Pmoney
02-26-2009, 02:07 PM
Astros 5
Braves 2
End of the 3rd

The Astros are looking good...scoring 3 runs in the 1st inning and 2 in the 3rd...Oswalt is on the mound came out strong in the 1st but gave up 2 runs in the 2nd

catgut
02-26-2009, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Pmoney
Astros 5
Braves 2
End of the 3rd

The Astros are looking good...scoring 3 runs in the 1st inning and 2 in the 3rd...Oswalt is on the mound came out strong in the 1st but gave up 2 runs in the 2nd

Astros can win it all if it rains four out of every five days so Roy can pitch all the games

Pmoney
02-26-2009, 02:42 PM
Astros 7
Braves 2
End of the 5th

Astros' Chris Johnson is playing very well and smart....Backe is now pitching for the Astros

Pmoney
02-26-2009, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by catgut
Astros can win it all if it rains four out of every five days so Roy can pitch all the games
Their pitching scares me because Oswalt is the only for sure consistant player...Wandy is very inconsistent, Moehler had a great year last year for a 38 yr old and I hope he can repeat that this year, Backe had a tough yr coming back from Tommy John surgery hopefully he is able to be back to presurgery form, Hampton is back with the Astros hopefully to get his career back on track even though he is in the later years of his career

I'm also scared about the Catcher position...Even though Ausmus was not an all-star catcher he was a great leader and his loss is huge because I dont think any of the possible replacements will be anything close of being a consistent great catcher...I wish they would go after Pudge but they all ready nixed that idea

catgut
02-26-2009, 02:56 PM
I figured I was the only real Astros fan on here. My whole family follows them even though we're in Ranger territory

Pmoney
02-26-2009, 02:58 PM
I figured I was the only real Astros fan on here. My whole family follows them even though we're in Ranger territory
Don't worry you have some company on here...I am the only Astros fan in my family, my dad is a ranger fan, and my brother is a white sox fan

catgut
02-26-2009, 03:03 PM
ok..one question for you then...
Were you as unhappy with Ed Wade hiring as I was? I thought the trade giving away Lidge was awful for what they got in the trade

Pmoney
02-26-2009, 03:12 PM
I wasnt really too unhappy with his hiring but I did think there was most likely someone better fit for the job....About the Brad Lidge trade, Brad had to go he needed some different atmosphere to get back on track I think what we got in return was the same value of Lidge(if he doesnt get out of his funk) now if the Phillies and the Astros knew Lidge would return to his all star from then I think we would have gotten more but I think Bourn will become a great consistant CF but of course Brunttlet is not with the team anymore...So I think the trade would have been better for the stros if the 2 teams knew Lidge would bounce back like he did

catgut
02-26-2009, 04:43 PM
I'm not as sold on Bourne as I was a year ago. I'm not sure he will ever be able to hit major league pitching.

goosealaniz
02-26-2009, 05:10 PM

... the sad thing is... your right

Keith7
02-26-2009, 05:13 PM
The Asstros will suck this year.. Rangers will own the Lone Star Series and take the boot again

catgut
02-26-2009, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
The Asstros will suck this year.. Rangers will own the Lone Star Series and take the boot again
Who cares about the darn boot anyway? They could win the world series I'd still be 'stros fan

Keith7
02-26-2009, 05:20 PM
Who cares about the darn boot anyway? They could win the world series I'd still be 'stros fan

If they win the world series but lose the boot would they really be champions?? I mean they wouldn't be champions of their own state much less of the league.. so yes the boot matters

sahen
02-26-2009, 05:37 PM

keith does...along w/ the 30 or 40 other rangers fans....astros fans want to win the thing but its not the end of the season if we dont....unfortunately for the rangers, after their last series with the astros each year it happens to be about the time they start folding....i wish the rangers would be in the race every year come august/september, it'd make baseball season twice as interesting for me but oh well...the rangers are looking to make strides though, hopefully they can keep it together for the whole season this year....

Keith7
02-26-2009, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by sahen
keith does...along w/ the 30 or 40 other rangers fans....astros fans want to win the thing but its not the end of the season if we dont....unfortunately for the rangers, after their last series with the astros each year it happens to be about the time they start folding....i wish the rangers would be in the race every year come august/september, it'd make baseball season twice as interesting for me but oh well...the rangers are looking to make strides though, hopefully they can keep it together for the whole season this year....

Oh I forgot.. Asstros fans are "too cool" for the silver boot.. well excuuuuuuuuuse me. Seriously, Asstro fans make me so sick because they seem to think they are world series contenders every year because they made a run at one a few years back. I got news for you guys, you are no better than the Rangers. The Rangers play in a tougher division than the Asstros and we don't have a wimpy roof to protect us from the heat.

SWMustang
02-26-2009, 07:35 PM
Oh I forgot.. Asstros fans are "too cool" for the silver boot.. well excuuuuuuuuuse me. Seriously, Asstro fans make me so sick because they seem to think they are world series contenders every year because they made a run at one a few years back. I got news for you guys, you are no better than the Rangers. The Rangers play in a tougher division than the Asstros and we don't have a wimpy roof to protect us from the heat.

Ranger fans say that every year - that the Rangers will have a better record/go to the playoffs yada yada yada

Every year just the opposite happens. Astros end up with a better record. When's the last time the Rangers won a playoff series?

4x100jackets
02-26-2009, 07:43 PM
I would rather watch grass grow than watch baseball..
How boring can you get....

goosealaniz
02-26-2009, 07:47 PM
GO ASTROS!!!!!!!

Keith7
02-26-2009, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by 4x100jackets
I would rather watch grass grow than watch baseball..
How boring can you get....

I'd rather watch paint dry than watch anything to do with track

Keith7
02-26-2009, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
Ranger fans say that every year - that the Rangers will have a better record/go to the playoffs yada yada yada

Every year just the opposite happens. Astros end up with a better record. When's the last time the Rangers won a playoff series?

When was the last time the Asstros won the boot? I think that will give you a better comparison of the two teams

Pmoney
02-26-2009, 08:06 PM
dude seriously what is your problem? So honestly you care about winning the silver boot more than making the playoffs? the ASTROS have made the NLCS in 2004 and 2005 while the Rangers havent made the playoffs since 1999 and another thing how do the Rangers play in a tougher division than the ASTROS? A NL Central team has been in the World Series 3 of the last 5 years, with one championship(Cardinals in 2004 and 2006 and ASTROS in 2005) and in the AL West-Seattle and Texas never been to the WS, LAA won in 2002, and Oakland hasn't been to the WS since 1990 and you're honestly telling me that the Rangers play in a tougher division???? and the reason the ASTROS have a stadium that has a retractable roof is because when it rains they continue to play while the Rangers may cancel the game

goosealaniz
02-26-2009, 08:10 PM
dude seriously what is your problem? So honestly you care about winning the silver boot more than making the playoffs? the ASTROS have made the NLCS in 2004 and 2005 while the Rangers havent made the playoffs since 1999 and another thing how do the Rangers play in a tougher division than the ASTROS? A NL Central team has been in the World Series 3 of the last 5 years, with one championship(Cardinals in 2004 and 2006 and ASTROS in 2005) and in the AL West-Seattle and Texas never been to the WS, LAA won in 2002, and Oakland hasn't been to the WS since 1990 and you're honestly telling me that the Rangers play in a tougher division???? and the reason the ASTROS have a stadium that has a retractable roof is because when it rains they continue to play while the Rangers may cancel the game

:clap: :clap:

Keith7
02-26-2009, 08:33 PM

Lets look at your post a little deeper.

First: how many World series has the NL Central won in the past 10 years?

Answer: 1, Cardinals in 2006

So how many world series has the AL West won in the past 10 years?

Answer: 1, Angels in 2002

So this begs the question, what does this prove? the AL West is just as strong, if not stronger then the NL Central.

Ok my first point might have been a little off point but the NL central isn't exactly a beast of a division.

The roof is still wussy in my book.

And if the Rangers won the world series but lost the silver boot, I would not consider them as champions of the league because they are not champions of Texas.

Here are some meaningful stats

Number of world series wins:

Texas - 0
Houston - 0

Number of Silver Boots:

Texas - 5
Houston - 3

therefore Texas is the best team in Texas and Reigning Texas Champions

sahen
02-26-2009, 09:47 PM
your little boots, how many of them have you won when the series record was 3-3 and you got them from run differential??? I will help ya, 3 of your 5 boots were when you actually only tied the Astros in wins...Run differential sounds like a soccer rule, its just something thrown in to make things nice for the series but has no place in baseball, any true baseball fan will admit that....

Here is a fun fact, since 2001 when the Silver Boot Series started the Astros actually have a 25-23 winning record over the Rangers ...You can have the boot my friend, we will take the winning record...

here are some more meaningful stats:

Division Titles:
Astros - 7
Rangers - 3

Wild Cards:
Astros - 2
Rangers - 0

Playoff Appearances:
Astros - 9
Rangers - 3

Playoff Records:
Astros: 21-35 (0.375)
Rangers: 1-9 (0.100)

2008 Attendance (just cause i thought it was interesting to see who had more people that cared):
Astros: 34,741
Rangers: 24,320
ESPN has average attendance from 2001 on....The Rangers have not outdrawn the Astros in that time....

you can pull out whatever stats you want to make your team look good, obviously attendance has nothing to do w/ how much better team a is better than b, but the astros without a doubt are historically a better team than the rangers....

Keith7
02-26-2009, 09:54 PM
5-3 .. Rangers have the Silver Boots, therefore they are the best team in Texas.. There is no argument to that..

Texas Rangers reigning Silver Boot Champs, aka Champions of Texas, aka the best MLB team in Texas

sahen
02-26-2009, 10:37 PM
5-3 .. Rangers have the Silver Boots, therefore they are the best team in Texas.. There is no argument to that..

Texas Rangers reigning Silver Boot Champs, aka Champions of Texas, aka the best MLB team in Texas

thats what i thought, Rangers fans would rather have some silly trophey...25-23 Astros record against the Rangers....therefore they are the better team...there is no argument to that, its a sport Keith...we normally decide who is the best by the actual won/loss record...

Pmoney
02-26-2009, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by sahen
thats what i thought, Rangers fans would rather have some silly trophey...25-23 Astros record against the Rangers....therefore they are the better team...there is no argument to that, its a sport Keith...we normally decide who is the best by the actual won/loss record...
thanks for taking over the Astros side Sahen...I was getting tired from arguing and you make a great point with the Astros holding a 25-23 record vs. the Rangers

Keith7
02-26-2009, 11:30 PM
thanks for taking over the Astros side Sahen...I was getting tired from arguing and you make a great point with the Astros holding a 25-23 record vs. the Rangers

Who has the boots? Who is the champion of Texas? Asstros know the rules, ties go to the team who scores the most runs.. Maybe Asstros should try to win games a little more convincingly if they want The Silver Boot

kepdawg
02-26-2009, 11:31 PM
Go Braves!

sahen
02-26-2009, 11:45 PM
Who has the boots? Who is the champion of Texas? Asstros know the rules, ties go to the team who scores the most runs.. Maybe Asstros should try to win games a little more convincingly if they want The Silver Boot

dear stRangers,

there are no ties in baseball, this is not NCAA football where style points matter....the stRangers should win some more games if they dont want their "title" argued...if there is no clear winner no one should get the boot, there is a reason they play until a clear winner for everything else in baseball....it shows how meaningles the trophy really is if they have to break out soccer rules to decide the winner....

sincerely,
25-23 series leading Astros

sahen
02-26-2009, 11:50 PM

i normally do it in one thread per year w/ keith just for fun...i think he is just playing around mostly...i know i am when i "argue" with him...though this year he is being a little harsher pulling out the "asstros"...even if he isnt kidding i eventually just let him have it, he is a Rangers fan and unfortunately for them they havent had a lot to hang their hats on lately....

Pmoney
02-26-2009, 11:52 PM
See here you go again with the uncalled for namecalling i mean honestly! and second the Rangers havent made a single wild card in this decade while the Astros have made 2 and the Rangers couldnt even get in the playoffs to make a run to the WS while the Astros have made 2 runs but only 1 got past the NLCS so how in the hell are the Rangers better...screw the head-to-head get to the what matters most Do the Astros put themselves in a position to contend for a championship? yes they have twice in the past 5 years; Do the the Rangers put themselves in a posititon to contend for a championship? no they havent made the playoffs since 1999! Championships matter head-to-head doesn't...Do you remember the head-to-head between the Rangers and the Mariners in 2007? i dont but do you remember the WS champion in 2007? i do the Red Sox...i could do that year in and year out and i can almost guarantee more people remember the WS champion rather who won more games in the head to head match up? team A or team B

Pmoney
02-26-2009, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Go Braves!
BOO!!!:D

4x100jackets
02-27-2009, 12:13 AM
I'd rather watch paint dry than watch anything to do with track

Yea I bet you wear your shades upside down on your flat bill cap too...

Keith7
02-27-2009, 12:26 AM
And I bet you lip sing while listening to your iPod and walk around in tights

catgut
02-27-2009, 12:32 PM
My gosh..what did I start with my "who cares about the boot" comment? *LOL*
Sorry, but I'm a fan of real baseball. You know the one where pitchers actually hit and managers actually have to manage!

SWMustang
02-27-2009, 02:54 PM
My gosh..what did I start with my "who cares about the boot" comment? *LOL*
Sorry, but I'm a fan of real baseball. You know the one where pitchers actually hit and managers actually have to manage!

We have another vote for the NL!