PDA

View Full Version : Westlake Hires Permian's Allman As New AD/HC

ILS1
02-26-2009, 11:24 AM
Thursday, February 26, 2009

Westlake High School's new football coach comes to town with Mojo in his portfolio.

Eanes school district officials named Darren Allman of Odessa Permian to coach the Chaparrals at a board meeting Wednesday night. Allman also will act as the school district's athletic director.

The 39-year-old Allman replaces Derek Long, who retired Jan. 29 after more than 30 years at Westlake, including the past six as head football coach.

"I'm extremely honored to become the next athletic director and head football coach at Westlake High School ... " Allman said in a news release. "My intent is to become another important ingredient in the continuous effort to be the best in everything we do."

Other finalists for the job reportedly included Chaparrals assistants Steve Ramsey and Sul Ross, along with Kerrville Tivy coach Mark Smith, Pearland's Tony Heath and Friendswood's Steve Van Meter.

Allman, an Odessa Permian graduate who played on two Panthers state finalist teams, went 38-11 in his four years as head coach, including 12-1 seasons in 2007 and 2008.

His coaching background includes one year at Temple High and eight seasons at Brownwood. He was the defensive coordinator and assistant head coach at Highland Park before coming to Permian.

The Chaparrals were 9-5 in 2008, reaching the Class 5A, Division I quarterfinals.

Story Link (www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/highschool/02/26/0226westlake.html)

BEAST
02-26-2009, 11:33 AM
Also David Jones will be the DC and Jeff Rhoades will be the OC. Ted Willman is also going with them, not sure in what position. All ex-Brownwood coaches.

BEAST

Johnny Utah
02-26-2009, 11:47 AM
Who gets Permian job???

Lion_Addict
02-26-2009, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
Who gets Permian job???

:thinking: :thinking: McCoy............. ???? :stirpot:

Daddy D 11
02-26-2009, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Lion_Addict
:thinking: :thinking: McCoy............. ???? :stirpot:

Shipley??:devil: :D

Lion_Addict
02-26-2009, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
Shipley??:devil: :D

:rolleyes: ....... Will have to wait till after we have a few state titles, that will be coming soon by the way ;) :D

Black_Magic
02-26-2009, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Lion_Addict
:rolleyes: ....... Will have to wait till after we have a few state titles, that will be coming soon by the way ;) :D Can you get a state title in outragous predictions. Or maybe a state title for the biggest move up or down a poll from the start of a season till the end...:p

OldBison75
02-26-2009, 12:32 PM
Allman will bring a whole new attitude to the Westlake program. I guarantee the kids will work hard and if they don't, they will be gone from the program. With the talent pool there, he should be riding high from the first game.

As for the Permian job opening--I bet there will be a former MOJO that takes over the program. They would not want McCoy because of his style, and Fitz may have the smashmouth style but he dosen't have the upper classification experience the MOJO wants after dealing with TJ Mills.

GREAT HIRE FOR WESTLAKE

Lion_Addict
02-26-2009, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
the biggest move up or down a pole

Keep your sick and perverted actions outta this "Coach"!! :p :devil:

kaorder1999
02-26-2009, 02:24 PM
It will end up being a Larry Hill or Randy Quisenberry type name. Someone who has some skins on the wall at a 4A or 5A program. I do not see them hiring from a classification lower than 4A. I may be totally wrong here but the town of Odessa and the MOJO faithful will raise heck if that happened.

WTF-82
02-27-2009, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
Allman will bring a whole new attitude to the Westlake program. I guarantee the kids will work hard and if they don't, they will be gone from the program. With the talent pool there, he should be riding high from the first game.

As for the Permian job opening--I bet there will be a former MOJO that takes over the program. They would not want McCoy because of his style, and Fitz may have the smashmouth style but he dosen't have the upper classification experience the MOJO wants after dealing with TJ Mills.

GREAT HIRE FOR WESTLAKE

I dont understand what the prob would be with McCoy style this the same style Alman had offensively spread one back. McCoy used the option more from the spread but Allman ran the hek out of the ball from the spread you out type scheme. McCoy would throw the ball more but at Mojo he would have the backs to run the ball out of the spread. Honestly I dont think he would take the job though deep West Texas probably would wont to stay were he is at for a couple more years.

I dont think they will get R. Quisenberry even thoug he is a former Panther if they did that would be wild former Panther coached at Odessa High then Cooper, then Mid Lee the MOJO? I dont know about that.

vet93
02-28-2009, 12:17 AM
It seem like Quisenberry's career has kind of stagnated at Lee...I doubt the Permian faithful would be interested...

Originally posted by ***-82
I dont understand what the prob would be with McCoy style this the same style Alman had offensively spread one back. McCoy used the option more from the spread but Allman ran the hek out of the ball from the spread you out type scheme. McCoy would throw the ball more but at Mojo he would have the backs to run the ball out of the spread. Honestly I dont think he would take the job though deep West Texas probably would wont to stay were he is at for a couple more years.

I dont think they will get R. Quisenberry even thoug he is a former Panther if they did that would be wild former Panther coached at Odessa High then Cooper, then Mid Lee the MOJO? I dont know about that.

WTF-82
02-28-2009, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by vet93
It seem like Quisenberry's career has kind of stagnated at Lee...I doubt the Permian faithful would be interested...

I agree

Phantom Stang
03-01-2009, 09:43 PM
Football: Allman's reasons for taking Westlake job stretch beyond football

February 26, 2009 - 4:19 PM
BY JOEL A. ERICKSON

For the last few days, the entire black-and-white clad side of Odessa has had one question rolling around its collective brain.

Why?

Former Permian head football coach Darren Allman's decision to become the head football coach and athletic director at Austin Westlake didn't seem to make sense at first.

Turns out he had plenty of reasons.

First and foremost, Westlake is a one high-school community, a community that funnels all of its support to the Chaparrals.

That kind of single-minded support appealed to Allman.

"One of the most important things about building a football program is to get everybody pulling in the same direction, and not just the people involved with the program," Allman said. "That's not a knock on this place; I think Ector County does as good a job as any."

Rumors about a significant raise in pay have been flying around Odessa the past couple of days, but Allman declined to comment Thursday on his salary at Westlake.

He had to plenty to say about the living atmosphere surrounding the Austin area.

"I love Odessa, but I've spent 25 of my 39 years living here," Allman said. "Austin is a great place to live, and a place I can see being my last move."

Allman has several friends in the capitol. His wife, Susan, has a sister living in the Austin area. And even though he'll be coaching at Austin Westlake, one of the premier programs in college football is right around the corner at the University of Texas.

For Allman, Memorial Stadium represents a gigantic classroom for his coaching staff.

"Right now those guys probably have the best college football staff in the country," Allman said. "I love the fact that we're right there by them and can constantly pull knowledge from them."

Austin Westlake's status as one of the premier programs in Region IV certainly didn't hurt, either.

This job won't be a rebuilding project.

Westlake has a returning quarterback, Tanner Price, who threw for 2,302 yards and 15 touchdowns last year. Chaparrals linebacker David Durham, a 6-foot-3, 225-pound star who has committed to Ohio State, will be back.

And when Allman looked at game film of the Chaparrals, he saw a team much like the one he built at Permian. Athletic kids who play extremely hard.

"With just a little bit of flavor added for change, I think they can go to another level," Allman said. "I want to try to be the ingredient that makes it happen."

Most Odessans only know Allman as a football coach. He's also the father of three kids.

Living in Austin will open up doors for those kids.

Allman wants to be able to take his kids to Texas football and basketball games. He wants them to grow up in the middle of a one-school community.

And he wants his kids to be able to take advantage of the athletic tradition at Westlake. The Chaparrals have 29 state titles in nine sports.

Football only has one.

"From a coaching standpoint and a father's standpoint, I expect my kids to be athletes," Allman said. "For my two daughters, I want them to be in the best potential programs and around the best coaches you can have."

Allman made one more thing clear at Thursday's press conference.

None of his reasons for leaving were meant to be slights to Permian, or Odessa, or the rest of this town.

He simply got an offer he couldn't refuse.

"When I talked to the kids (Wednesday), I told myself, you're walking away from the Permian job, you idiot," Allman said Thursday morning. "But then I reminded myself of why I was doing that. I have been a blessed coach."

http://www.oaoa.com/articles/allman_3483_oavarsity__article.html/football_one.html

ratherbfishin
03-02-2009, 03:26 PM
Blessed coach to say the least...

$130K
$500,000 home
2 cars his and hers...new every 2 years
Lake house 3 months outa the year
Barton Creek membership

Congrats Allman!!!