PDA

View Full Version : Needville Lady Jays Softball 2009 Edition

IHStangFan
02-25-2009, 05:02 AM
So I've been told our girls softball team is pretty good. This peaked my interest. One of my neighbor's dauthers plays on the team. So I thought I'd look into it.

In 2008 the Lady Jays made it to the Reg. III title game and finished up w/ a 28-6 record.

They lost only 2 players from last year's team.

The team is largely made up of the Needville Jr. League All-star team that took 3rd at the Jr. League World Series 3 years ago.

So far this season the Lady Jays are looking pretty good....

Needville 6
Magnolia West (4A) 2

Needville 2
Angleton (4A) 3

Needville 20
Bush (5A) 1

Needville 13
Waltrip JV? (4A) 0

Needville 5
Foster (4A) 1

Needville 7
Lamar Consol. (4A) 3

Runs for: 53
Runs Against: 10

Current Record: 5-1

Also in the district but at the 2A level is East Bernard who finished w/ a 31-4-1 record and a state title last year.

PutMeInCoach
02-25-2009, 08:11 AM
20-1 is ridiculous. Coach let that one get out of hand. Once you get to the 10 or 15 run rule, leave the bases early to get outs. This way you're not messing with the players batting averages.

What's that victory proving? What's it teaching those kids about sportsmanship?

IHStangFan
02-25-2009, 08:25 AM
Well...I can't answer that question, I don't coach the softball team...but "batting practice" is the first thing that comes to my mind. Sometimes maybe you're on a different level than your opponent? I really don't have an answer...sorry......happens all the time though...softball, baseball, basketball, football. Reminds me of the Gilmers and Celinas and whatnot hanging 50+ on their opponents during football season. It happens.

mazacc
02-25-2009, 12:30 PM
Coach tried to keep the score down. He did in the next game 13-0. The umpire in the field was so bad that he would not call runners out leaving early, had to tell the home plate umpire to do it. Hard to keep a score down when you get on base, leave early and the batter cranks one to the fence.

IHStangFan
02-25-2009, 05:35 PM
I just noticed on the schedule....

6 March:

Needville -vs- Spendora at home.

What confuses me is.....some polls have Needville #2 and Spendora not in the top 10.....

Others have Spendora #2 and Needville 4th.

I thought Spendora was ranked and supposed to be pretty good.

If so, I am planning on making this game!! Potentially #2 -vs- #4? or.....#2 -vs- #2? LOL

coxjj
02-25-2009, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by PutMeInCoach
20-1 is ridiculous. Coach let that one get out of hand. Once you get to the 10 or 15 run rule, leave the bases early to get outs. This way you're not messing with the players batting averages.

What's that victory proving? What's it teaching those kids about sportsmanship?

There was no run-rule after 3 innings. Run rule was after 5th inning only. Had to play minimum 5 innings.

In the 2nd, after 14-0, runners left early. The 3rd inning had 1 run on 1 hit. 4th inning had runners leaving early, no call. After 4 runs, leaving early got called and the rest of the outs were leaving early.

pirate4state
02-26-2009, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
I just noticed on the schedule....

6 March:

Needville -vs- Spendora at home.

What confuses me is.....some polls have Needville #2 and Spendora not in the top 10.....

Others have Spendora #2 and Needville 4th.

I thought Spendora was ranked and supposed to be pretty good.

If so, I am planning on making this game!! Potentially #2 -vs- #4? or.....#2 -vs- #2? LOL

Not sure what Splendora has coming back, but they are usually pretty strong. Should be a good game!

Needville is my favorite to advance to state from Region IV. :(

IHStangFan
02-26-2009, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Not sure what Splendora has coming back, but they are usually pretty strong. Should be a good game!

Needville is my favorite to advance to state from Region IV. :( I think we're gonna go watch this game. I can't believe I'm actually excited about softball!! LOL.

Reds fan
02-27-2009, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state

Needville is my favorite to advance to state from Region IV. :(

Splendora had enough come back to beat Katy 2-1 in a tournament last week. They did lose their pitcher to graduation but must have found another to do so well in the KISD tourney (2nd place), losing only the championship game to 5A Klein Oak, a team loaded with D1 commited or signed players.

Needville is also my pick to go to state from Region IV but La Grange will have some say in that.